My 10th retirement visa renewal

On 5 April 2019 at 9:32 PM, nongsung said:

Well, the IO was clear that the next 90 reporting should include an updated bank book AND the confirmation letter from the bank.

With at least 800K. After that (2nd 90 days) I don’t know.

Would not be surprised if it’s not needed elsewhere. Since three years female IO’s are running the show in Mukdahan and they are extremely difficult to deal with.

Irritated faces, no-one smiles; it’s not a nice place to go to.

i just mine today using 800k in bank all fine no problem not told i had to do anytihng and not even told about new rules 

On 6 April 2019 at 3:19 PM, anfh said:

Just for info, i did retirement renewal this week and got this form, have to return to show bank book after 90 days etc. I told them i would be going to UK before that, they told me i MUST return with bank book as soon as I return to Thailand . 

7778A290-3925-47EB-9769-5C039CCC39EF.jpeg

On 6 April 2019 at 5:01 PM, Peterw42 said:

Yes thats right but the OP specifically mentions showing bank book at next 90 day. People keep mentioning that two visits will be tied together but other than the OP, it hasn't been the case anywhere.

i did mine today all fine not told of new rules or told to come back to prove anything retirement 800k in bank got 1 year in/out within 1 nour very good service friendly no propblems at all but ? a little concerned why i was not told about new rules etc 

2 minutes ago, icare999 said:

i did mine today all fine not told of new rules or told to come back to prove anything retirement 800k in bank got 1 year in/out within 1 nour very good service friendly no propblems at all but ? a little concerned why i was not told about new rules etc 

Which office ? I might move there, lol

• Like 1

On 7 April 2019 at 4:57 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

I can't see Mr. Wong from China, or Mr. Sergei from Russia, or Mr. Patel from India, who come here on a package holiday, retiring in Thailand in the future. 

By losing the western tourist market, and making it harder for western expats to live here, Thailand isn't advertising itself to the next generation of retires coming through. 

Just think what that will do to the property market, and vehicle market here, just to name two sectors, and these sectors don't involve 300 baht a day minimum wage staff in the hospitality industry. 

we let to long term expats and have kerean russian japanese etc etc  tenants in fact in last few years far more non westerners than westerners 

On 12 April 2019 at 9:43 AM, CMNightRider said:

Well, Miss Bunny, my experience comes from supervising these fools.  Have you ever wondered why retirees have to reapply year after year for a visa extension, or why you are required to report to immigration every 90 days, or perhaps thought what the purpose of TM forms are for?  

Maybe the latest financial requirement of depositing 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, to prop up a third world banking system has given you something to think about.  

If there are any retirees living in Thailand, who hasn't given thought to these questions, maybe this may be a good time to start thinking about it. 

total crap banking system here is far superior IMO to UK here via ATM i can buy mutual funds pay people pay bills on line is better also in so many ways Ive lived here over 30 years no real problems at all with immigration odd one a bit bad tempered but you get tht in any country Police always polite and friendly and ok sometimes giving them a tip avoids having to go to police station to get your licence back tips tea money here is a good syatem and never ever forced in my experiance unlike in west full of total stupid regs and rules 

• Haha 2

On 13 April 2019 at 3:38 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

If that's the case, we are back to a legal visas, that has been illegally obtained.

I've never used an agent, but the practice has been going on for years, and I don't know of a single case where someone has been arrested for it.  

I agree it has more risk to it than the 800k method, but the 800k could become the 1 million method, or 1.5 million method in the future, and then even those cirrently on the 800k method would have to assess the risk using agents, versus the loss of earnings from a larger deposit in a Thai bank.    

or go for thai elite card 1 million for 20 years or 500k for 5 its tempting only thing stopping me going for 20 year is im over 80 so unlikely to use it for all its life 

On 15 April 2019 at 10:33 AM, JackThompson said:

The confusion over this is due to a few offices re-setting the 90-day reporting on the date of renewal, so that the bank-book report and 90-day report could be done on the same visit - assuming the foreigner doesn't make a trip out of the country during that time.  When asked what to do if out of the country at the 90-day mark, they were told to do the bank-book report as soon as they returned.

i just id mime not told to do any 90 day at all or told any thing about new rules  

12 minutes ago, icare999 said:

or go for thai elite card 1 million for 20 years or 500k for 5 its tempting only thing stopping me going for 20 year is im over 80 so unlikely to use it for all its life 

I do believe that it can be sold (or transferred) one time so you might ask them if your heir(s) could transfer it to someone else when you check out.  I would think that the amount of time left on the Elite Visa would significantly affect the price (one way or the other).

4 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

I do believe that it can be sold (or transferred) one time so you might ask them if your heir(s) could transfer it to someone else when you check out.  I would think that the amount of time left on the Elite Visa would significantly affect the price (one way or the other).

thats only for more expemnsive 2 million baht version 

19 hours ago, Seafarer124 said:

In future I will print all the transactions, at three monthly intervals, from the online account.

That would be a good idea, one never knows what might be asked of one.

I have plugged a reminder into my email to update the passbook more regularly, it previously gathered dust between extensions. 

14 hours ago, icare999 said:

i just did mine today no problem very quick was not told anything aobut new rules or to report back etc so why do you tihnki you have to go back every 3 months I got my yearly ext

The policy varies by office.  CW doesn't do it, but Jomtien does - even issuing an extra document with the "report your bank book" date on it.  Some other offices have been reported to do it, and to re-set 90-day reporting to allow both to be done at the same time.

In one report, someone obtaining their extension at CW asked why they did NOT have to come back in 90-days, while his friend in another area did, and was told that each office can invent their own enforcement mechanisms. 

All the new rules do is give a bigger stick to your local office to hit you with, as punishment for showing up in-person vs using one of their agent-partners.  Whether they choose to use the stick or not is up to them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Seafarer124 said:

I updated my BKK Bank book in March.

There were transactions missing from November 2018 to February 2019.

Went to my online banking to see what appeared.  All the transactions missing in the book were there.

In future I will print all the transactions, at three monthly intervals, from the online account.

Just keep in mind, immigration will be unlikely to accept your home-made printout as valid.  They will likely want an "official" transaction-listing signed/stamped by your bank. 

Not to worry, as those are available - but some banks require some time for a full 1-year listing, so could be a problem if needed for an extension at the "last minute," just before one's last extension expires.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Could this be because BJ is gone and offices are easing off on that previous hardline momentum ?

He said it was in Chiang Mai.  This is not an office reported as requiring a 90-day "bank book" report.  No indication yet that BJ moving on has led to any improvements for us.

Edited by JackThompson

Yes! This is absolutely the case. My 5 year elite expires in November, I came into thailand this weekend and my stamp is valid until 2020, so just come back in before May and you will get 12 months. Of course if he leaves thailand he will lose it, so make sure he doesn’t need to travel until may 2020. I also got offered 5% discount if I want to buy a new visa, see if he can get the same. 

Edited by TTSIssues

4 minutes ago, TTSIssues said:

Yes! This is absolutely the case. My 5 year elite expires in November, I came into thailand this weekend and my name is valid until 2020, so just come back in before May and you will get 12 months. Of course if he leaves thailand he will lose it, so make sure he doesn’t need to travel until may 2020. I also got offered 5% discount if I want to buy a new visa, see if he can get the same. 

You accidentally put your informative post in the wrong thread.  Should be the one in the link.

If you are resident in Thailand, are you allowed to have ISAs?

I am a ‘snow bird’ but I think that if resident in Thailand one doesn’t need an ISA because there would be no need to provide tax returns to the Inland Revenue. Thailand does not require tax returns from retirees so if I were to change my residency I would be tax free in UK.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 12:29 AM, icare999 said:

we let to long term expats and have kerean russian japanese etc etc  tenants in fact in last few years far more non westerners than westerners 

So you let to them, which tends to show they don't buy property.  Like I said, picture the housing market here in the future.

What visas are they on?