My 10th retirement visa renewal

16 hours ago, anfh said:

Just for info, i did retirement renewal this week and got this form, have to return to show bank book after 90 days etc. I told them i would be going to UK before that, they told me i MUST return with bank book as soon as I return to Thailand . 

7778A290-3925-47EB-9769-5C039CCC39EF.jpeg

On the contrary, they told you in the official form you MUSH have - not sure if that's legally binding. 

14 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I would find it hard to believe that the top level staff in the banking sector here were not consulted, or indeed, had an input, to these new laws.

Could be the hospitals too, fed up of penniless foreigners occupying their beds.

I struggle with the idea banks drive these changes, else they might get rid of income and marriage extensions altogether, forcing everyone to find 800k to sit there. 

44 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Could be the hospitals too, fed up of penniless foreigners occupying their beds.

I struggle with the idea banks drive these changes, else they might get rid of income and marriage extensions altogether, forcing everyone to find 800k to sit there. 

Surely the new rules make this worse. Whereas in the past i could use my 800k to pay for hospital care now i can not touch it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Surely the new rules make this worse. Whereas in the past i could use my 800k to pay for hospital care now i can not touch it.

Well not really, the on deposit rules now mean you will have 800k for at least 6 months and a minimum of 400k available at any time. Previously you could have spent the 800k on wine and women and wasted the rest. 

What happens for your next application after drawing on the 800k (for a hospital need) is still a question. Do I need a new Non-Imm O and start anew? Or what is the penalty for not having the 800k on a post renewal check!

Edited by jacko45k

Hmmm....I got sick of Thai immigration and stupidity so I voted with my feet. Have never regretted it. Once you work out they don’t want you ,only your money ,it’s an easy decision

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I guess you don't mean the ones flooding in on cheap flights and clogging up roads with tour-buses?  The ones whose numbers drop and are pulled-back by offering 1000 baht off of a VOA - or even free VOA - because that little bit of money makes a difference to the ability of thousands of them per-month? 

Yes, there are some wealthy Chinese, but what do they have to do with farang Retirees?  Many condos and restaurants are empty, and the Chinese aren't filling them.  They spend their money somewhere else (the tour-bus types at 7/11) - but what economic-reason supports removing the Farangs and shuttering the other businesses? 

Why does an increase in the cheap "tour group" / short-term-visitor sector necessitate the removal of longer-staying farangs who have always been a reliable source of income?   If anyone should complain about filling the roads with umpteen tour-buses and packing the sidewalks with "flag followers," it would be us.  Yet the authorities upset at us for "still being here," to spite their lowering the value of the destination by pandering to a down-scale market? 

There are still many, many Thais who need jobs as a step-up from subsistence-farming - if only to raise capital to modernize their farms and homes, and support their families.  Those working for the Chinese tourist-sector make less than those who support the Farang sector.  When/if the need no longer exists, they might reconsider booting the people who support those Thai jobs. 

As always JT you're spot on with your comment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm....I got sick of Thai immigration and stupidity so I voted with my feet. Have never regretted it. Once you work out they don’t want you ,only your money ,it’s an easy decision

But that's not the only model surely? I ignore the Thais as much as possible, speak little Thai, regard the local political shenanigans as pure entertainment, and subcontract all my immigration work out to an agent, down to 90-day reports (Thailand Longstay).  I rent an apartment, and my major interaction with the locals is horizontal jogging, in all its manifestations (which I also rent)

7 hours ago, Enoon said:

I'm not sure how much of this is about Thailand resident husbands but:

"A Khon Kaen University study (2014) found that marriages with foreigners by Thai northeastern women boosted the gross domestic product of the northeast by 8.67 billion baht (2014: €211 million or US$270 million). According to the study, after a northeastern woman married a foreigner, she will send 9,600 baht a month on average to her family to help with its expenses. The activity also created 747,094 jobs, the study found. The 2010 census found that 90 percent of the slightly more than 27,000 foreigners living in the northeastern region were married to women from there."

Isan - Wikipedia

Yes, that is the most direct-aid, and why it is truly insane they make our extensions difficult at some offices up here (in Issan).   Is there really concern that married-to-a-Thai farang in Issan are "mooching off" of our wives?  Seriously??

But, farang expats living in tourist areas are also a big boost - creating jobs for the Issan and other Thais who are not (yet, at least) married to a farang.  These jobs generally pay more, and in a less-stressful work-environment, with fewer customers per-Thai hire, than those serving tour-group tourists. 

11 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

I believe I've read that comment or similar from you probably fifty times in the last 3 months so I have no doubt that you believe it. But as I said earlier, I've had 10 extensions across 2 offices and I've never experienced anything like that. I had one IO yrs ago suggest to me that a retirement visa would be easier but I declined and he shrugged his shoulders and I've never heard about it again.  

Glad you have been lucky so far.  I am far from the only person who has reported such problems.  To use an analogy, most drunk-drivers make it home from the bar without causing a traffic accident - it's a matter of odds, whether you fit a "targeted" profile, and what office you use.

6 hours ago, inThailand said:
15 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The agents and immigration are making a lot of money from us and nothing is going to change in that regard.

Not from those that can meet the money rules. 

Many who do meet the money-rules get problems, also.  I meet the rules, but could not get an extension based on marriage-to-a-Thai in 2 offices - the first because of "unobtanium" landlord-docs (goalposts moved at each application-attempt in Jomtien), and the second (Issan boonies) because my well-over 40K/mo income is not "from a government pension."

Edited by JackThompson

11 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Glad you have been lucky so far.  I am far from the only person who has reported such problems.  To use an analogy, most drunk-drivers make it home from the bar without causing a traffic accident - it's a matter of odds, whether you fit a "targeted" profile, and what office you use.

I don't consider myself lucky at all, just followed the rules and had all the documentation ($ in the bank and a provable address). To me, it looks like you've just been extremely unlucky. I also have a hard time buying into this 'targeted' profile business or that it being dependent on 'odds' at all. Because if that was the case, after 10 extensions I would of seen something.

17 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

I do. My 90 day report by mail just got one back in the

mail no problem 

I used to as well, but on the last two occasions I received one receipt back a month after my report was due and the next didn't arrive at all. I figured it was safer to report to the office at Jomtien in person, which I've been doing for the last couple of years.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, that is the most direct-aid, and why it is truly insane they make our extensions difficult at some offices up here (in Issan).   Is there really concern that married-to-a-Thai farang in Issan are "mooching off" of our wives?  Seriously??

But, farang expats living in tourist areas are also a big boost - creating jobs for the Issan and other Thais who are not (yet, at least) married to a farang.  These jobs generally pay more, and in a less-stressful work-environment, with fewer customers per-Thai hire, than those serving tour-group tourists. 

Many who do meet the money-rules get problems, also.  I meet the rules, but could not get an extension based on marriage-to-a-Thai in 2 offices - the first because of "unobtanium" landlord-docs (goalposts moved at each application-attempt in Jomtien), and the second (Issan boonies) because my well-over 40K/mo income is not "from a government pension."

All the IOs just seem to make up their own rules as they go along, if you go back to any of the offices you mention, there is every chance you may get a different answer, maybe even the one you want.

About five years ago I went to do my first ever 90 day report for my retirement visa, the officer ask me if I was married and if my wife was working, and what was her job, he asked me these questions with a hostile attitude, and I have never done a 90 day report in person ever since. This started a sort of row between us and to cut a long story short, I won my case, was handed my passport back, and not even an apology.

• Like 1

As they know my exact location phone number address passport and all other details from the myriads of previous bits of paper is it to much to ask for some contact as to what bits of paper is now needed to satisfy my IO office now. My only small victory is that is I have timed my Uk exit date with my 90 day report to the day and wont be at the IO again until September by which time everything on here will be obsolete again no doubt????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Sorry, don't see it that way at all. There's been lots of threads about western importance monetarily to Thailand over the years and the evidence I saw  just doesn't support that view. Especially when you consider how diluted so many currencies have become, I think many people here are just scrambling to make ends meet rather than contributing to Thailand's economy (re investment). As far as employment in the tourism sector, Chinese two weekers and a host of other Asian nations will keep that industry alive forever. I also feel that just because we don't read a lot about significant criminality here perpetrated by westerners, doesn't mean it isn't occurring. Due to poor wages corruptibility is easily accomplished enabling a lot of scumbags to act with impunity and invisibility. I do believe, after spending the best part of 16yrs here, that there is some progress being made regards to that.      

I can't see Mr. Wong from China, or Mr. Sergei from Russia, or Mr. Patel from India, who come here on a package holiday, retiring in Thailand in the future. 

By losing the western tourist market, and making it harder for western expats to live here, Thailand isn't advertising itself to the next generation of retires coming through. 

Just think what that will do to the property market, and vehicle market here, just to name two sectors, and these sectors don't involve 300 baht a day minimum wage staff in the hospitality industry. 

Edited by Thailand Outcast

On 4/5/2019 at 9:13 PM, lkv said:

OP, do the 90 day report online and avoid interaction. The less the better.

I used to do mine by post never had a problem? Not sure if they still do that?

On 4/7/2019 at 12:35 AM, thaipo7 said:

I am all set until Jan 17, 2020.

Yeah, until all this renewal nonsense starts again.  You and all of us are hoping and praying just like when we buy a lottery ticket for an easy, problem free visa renewal.  Immigration in Thailand is akin to Russian roulette and lottery tickets...it's a gamble, for some with financial assets in the millions of baht, a loss can be a huge set back we cannot afford, especially for the older folks.

• Like 2

After 15  consequ. renewals to date have never had an issue. 

Have witnessed  some others have  issues.

In over hear it is usually due to the attitude of the applicant initially or in adverse reaction to some question.

Even for a retirement extention a  formally  married partner who attempts to dominate the situation usually  turns nasty.

But that is only my observational opinion.

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

After 15  consequ. renewals to date have never had an issue. 

Have witnessed  some others have  issues.

In over hear it is usually due to the attitude of the applicant initially or in adverse reaction to some question.

Even for a retirement extention a  formally  married partner who attempts to dominate the situation usually  turns nasty.

But that is only my observational opinion.

So, it comes down to character, and not about meeting the requirements.  Perhaps even if the immigration officer had a shag that morning.  ????

23 minutes ago, wilailuk said:

Agree 100%.. I´ve done about the same, at Div. 1. CW, never any problems, never.. But I´ve seen endless stupidity and arrogant attitudes, observing almost all creeds and colors, during the average 4 to 6 hours waiting time. If your paperwork is not OK, you stink and look like you just crawled out of Nana Pl., not shaven, not showered, in T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops (yup, I´ve seen such monsters) - then you ARE in for trouble..

So, they judge a book by its cover.

What if such a person you describe parties hard every night at Nana Plaza, on the drink, and the women, because he can afford to? 

What is gained by kicking him out of the country? 

3 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

What if such a person you describe parties hard every night at Nana Plaza, on the drink, and the women, because he can afford to? 

Most of those being denied visa extensions have more money in the bank, and make more monthly income than the immigration officers forcing them to leave Thailand.  That folks is a fact ????

31 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Of course they do, all Thai´s do that, it´s called "face" - or surface, what´s inside is not important..

Gained by kicking him out? Hahahaha! Personally I would like a deep clean of all Euro/US Cheap Charlie trash, let them party somewhere else, morons!

• Like 2

Report every 90 days of our bank balance?

This is so ridiculous, if I knew I wouldn't come to Thailand in the first place.

Maybe somebody can talk some sense into the new immigration head.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wilailuk said:

Agree 100%.. I´ve done about the same, at Div. 1. CW, never any problems, never.. But I´ve seen endless stupidity and arrogant attitudes, observing almost all creeds and colors, during the average 4 to 6 hours waiting time. If your paperwork is not OK, you stink and look like you just crawled out of Nana Pl., not shaven, not showered, in T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops (yup, I´ve seen such monsters) - then you ARE in for trouble..

Immigration don't ask personal questions and never look me in the eyes.

They are only interested in the bank balance and not what  you wear.

• Like 1