Public university for Thai, are they all similar / equal ? Why someone is not accepted where he wanted ?

hello,

do you know the process to be accepted in public university for Thai ?

when someone is not accepted at one university, does it mean that he failed exams to go to this univ ? But the same exams allow him to go to another univ that was not his choice ? Any appeal possible when the accepted university is too far ? Any brown enveloppe can help ?

I am asking for a Thai family that is not so educated and not rich, they will have to spend more to go where the kid was accepted.

thank you for your knowledge.

I suspect its because each University has a limited amount of places per course and they will select based on GPA (performance at high-school)

There may also be entrance exams, again, the Uni is unable to accept everyone and will be selective based on grade. Thus, he may not have 'failed' the exams, but it possible he didn't make the cut. 

In the UK we had to select 4 choice (UCAS form), depending on our A level grades we may not all get our first choice. 

12 hours ago, myshem said:

when someone is not accepted at one university, does it mean that he failed exams to go to this univ

My experience was my step-son could only get into a Bkk university that taught the subject he wanted to study no universities nearer home covered it.

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My experience was my step-son could only get into a Bkk university that taught the subject he wanted to study no universities nearer home covered it.

BKK Uni is not a public university - it's a private university. Not the same process as public universities

From what I understand things have changed considerably in the last few years with regards to admissions. These changes are a part of higer education reform in Thailand and they are awful. I work at a uni and also my wife's cousin is currently trying to get in. My wife teaches at and is alumunus of the same uni I work at and does not understand the current admissions process.

What I understand is that you take some kind of entrance exam. If you are accepted to your uni and program of choice. That's it. However if you do not then you go through several rounds of test taking until you get into a program that accepts you.

The uni I work at is no longer fully state supported  (as are most unis in Thailand) they are semi-private like the uk and usa. Unis have to make their own budget and this affects enrollment because my uni now excepts fewer students into the regular Thai program that I teach in. They now accept more students into their private programs where they charge twice the tuition. These programs now accept more students and pay more tuition. The admissions process is quite complicated to the regular programs with a continuous exam process.

Its not easy. My wife's niece left school in 2013 and we took her to 7 universities in central Thailand to sit entrance exams. The day we went to Rangsit there were over a thousand students taking the entrance exam, absolute chaos. She was offered a place at 5 of them, all different ranging from pharmacy to chemical engineering but not what she wanted, medicine. 

She applied to 2 in China and got a place at Sun Yat Sen, graduates in June.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 6:54 PM, myshem said:

so you mean that there is no way to pay to go to the public univ that someone wants ?

The student has been rejected from the university of choice. If they are dead-set on that particular uni then reapply next year.

Archived