If a foreign woman and a Thai man want to marry each other, does he need to pay her a Sin Sod?

Lemonlime

I imagine if the marriage was in Thailand a sin sod would be part of the ceremony, even if only a symbolic gesture. Would the brides parents even be attending the wedding in Thailand to receive the sin sod.

IF a woman in Thailand is marrying a woman, guess not yet, who is paying then?

In India, the man gets a dowry and even long after marriage can increase the dowry. Send his wife to parents to get more and if not right, he can walk and makes his wife ugly by setting her on fire. 

In western world mostly the family of the bride is paying the mariage. However some countries the woman has to show off with her big fat /engagement wedding ring.

All stupid things. Marriage is stupid, its only a contract for government.

The vows in marriage arent worth anything, it just can change in a jiffy. For instance: see lately Nicolas Cage.  

Marriage, when the pink has gone, you face a  black hole    

Married twice in Thailand never paid Sin Sod, it is not necessary, only idiots pay Sin Sod, if a Thai lady wants someone to pay Sin Sod move on many more ladies to pick from, if you pay Sin Sod most ladies family will be in your pocket all the time. 

I keep telling the g/f that she has to pay Sin Sod for me.

Not much - just two buffalo, house and new motorcycle. No gold or cash (I'm not greedy).

She seems reluctant to pay it though. I guess she's not really serious about wanting to marry me !

52 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

IF a woman in Thailand is marrying a woman, guess not yet, who is paying then?

In India, the man gets a dowry and even long after marriage can increase the dowry. Send his wife to parents to get more and if not right, he can walk and makes his wife ugly by setting her on fire. 

In western world mostly the family of the bride is paying the mariage. However some countries the woman has to show off with her big fat /engagement wedding ring.

All stupid things. Marriage is stupid, its only a contract for government.

The vows in marriage arent worth anything, it just can change in a jiffy. For instance: see lately Nicolas Cage.  

Marriage, when the pink has gone, you face a  black hole    

people who get better with these silly things:

diamond cutters & sellers : THERE IS NO SHORTAGE .... 

demand is kept high by keeping supply low and create a WANTING

venues that do those silly overpriced weddings, hotels, caterers, ...

flowers that are dead after a day or used for the next event and billed many times

etc....

The "sin-sod" is not paid to the lady...it is paid to her parents. 

So, I suppose the question should be directed to the ladies parents.

In Farang land it used to be the ladie's parents that had to pay the "dowry" to the groom's parents.

Depends, when my sister married a Cambodian guy she paid his family sin sod. She was, after all, taking him away from his family to live in Canada and the parents needed support. No monthly payments now but substantial payments to buy her husband's sisters share of the family home, money for illness, money to pay of a motorcycle loan toa shylock, etc...etc...Up to her. :whistling:

Of course Sinsod applies. The only difference is that the number in Thai Baht is being expressed in EUR or USD - quite simple. 300'000 Baht for a Thai, 300'000 Dollars for a "mem" (the not so nice slang word for caucasian woman). 

Every system has its advantages and disadvantages, till even fraud.

The Thai "alimony system" is not so well developed as in the Western world. More than once, the man leaves the woman, who is then on her own. So, see the sin sod as a reserve at HER family for the case of divorce.

From a Thai supplier I hear her son had to pay 250 MILLION THB for sin sod. For me a ridiculous high amount. His mother explained it: “see it as buying yourself in into the heritage of that family and its present financing power. The next month a new factory was build, costs 350 million.

Quite often it is also symbolic, in fact to show the wealth of the new husband. A friend of mine married a Thai lady with a sin sod of 50.000 THB. Paid down on a kind of towel, with which her mother ‘at the end of the negotiations” went away, put over her shoulder. The evening, money was back at her daughter, and the next day back at the bank.

Sin sod? Spare a thought for those caught up in a dispute between two African families resident in separate Eastern Cape, South Africa villages.  A husband paid a dowry (called lobola locally) to his wife's parents, before marriage, of a number of cattle.  After 7 years of marriage, the wife did not bear a child, so the husband sent a number of his friends to go to reclaim the number of cattle paid earlier. The friends were slaughtered, genitals cut off and one was decapitated. Since then, there has been a tit-for-tat conflict, with, altogether, 11 dead, 15 arrested, and no end in sight to the dispute.

Listen, contrary to all the negative replies, I've been present to these SinSot negotiations between Thai parents. This was a hard working mechanic and he paid 50,000bht. This young lady had his baby, divorced him and is now in Jomtein beach doing massage. Can't make this <deleted> up.

1 hour ago, allanos said:

Sin sod? Spare a thought for those caught up in a dispute between two African families resident in separate Eastern Cape, South Africa villages.  A husband paid a dowry (called lobola locally) to his wife's parents, before marriage, of a number of cattle.  After 7 years of marriage, the wife did not bear a child, so the husband sent a number of his friends to go to reclaim the number of cattle paid earlier. The friends were slaughtered, genitals cut off and one was decapitated. Since then, there has been a tit-for-tat conflict, with, altogether, 11 dead, 15 arrested, and no end in sight to the dispute.

Now that's impressive.

3 hours ago, allanos said:

the grass is always greener ... ...

Ask your mother 

It really depends on her

Bride next door ( I know her mum really well)  got bugger all gold but did get  three boxes of Leo and two pigs. A great day was had by all.

She had been married before but this  doesn't seem to be a problem in our neck of the woods.  I think a lot of the old bullshit ways are going out the window.  Even in the the villages people are more connected with the real world now.

11 hours ago, Ulic said:

Depends, when my sister married a Cambodian guy she paid his family sin sod. She was, after all, taking him away from his family to live in Canada and the parents needed support. No monthly payments now but substantial payments to buy her husband's sisters share of the family home, money for illness, money to pay of a motorcycle loan toa shylock, etc...etc...Up to her. :whistling:

Ooo, so if the hub’s family is poor then the bride will be paying then?? 

Archived