If a foreign woman and a Thai man want to marry each other, does he need to pay her a Sin Sod?

Lemonlime

17 hours ago, merlen10002 said:

Married twice in Thailand never paid Sin Sod, it is not necessary, only idiots pay Sin Sod, if a Thai lady wants someone to pay Sin Sod move on many more ladies to pick from, if you pay Sin Sod most ladies family will be in your pocket all the time. 

I am always curious about replies like this as I find them a little untruthful and require a bit more explanation. Did you marry in amphur only, no ceremony? What kind of Thai woman did you marry? A bargirl? Did they have living parents?

I certainly "paid" million baht which was promptly returned to me down to last satang (to clarify returned to me, not us). Her parents also paid for all wedding costs. I was told money is for the couple not for the parents. The money was simply the part of the ceremony. 

I have been to some wife's Thai only very upper middle class weddings. There was always a sinsod involved. I think this topic must have been posted on the first day the internet was born. Sinsod is not a rip-off and you certainly don't "pay" sinsod. This is why I think your reply is utter bull. Maybe you didn't pay sinsod but paid the monthly "allowance".

The parents of my Thai stepson's fiance are demanding 400,000 baht for her hand (Lord knows what they think the rest of her is worth!).

I shall tell them to sin sod off, as I feel selling one's children is immoral and should be unlawful.

Instead of a dowry for the putative in-laws, I plan to give the newlyweds a cash gift towards setting up home together. I told them I won't object if they jointly decide to divert some of the money to the bride's parents.

Could be the makings of their first lover's spat!

Honestly, I can't understand why farang find the sin sod so problematical. It's not a matter of face but grace. If you've come to Thailand with preconceptions, you're not a very gracious guest. I met a Brit wman today married to a Thai. WQish I'd thought to ask her this question. JUST PAY! (But bargain, of course.) And, in my experience, everybody will love you and you won;t have further hassles. At least none you can't refuse (under the 'I gave at the office' clause). 

On 4/9/2019 at 11:13 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

JUST PAY!

yeap, that is exactly the way to go,

cant believe i have to hear people hesitate

at taking a bank loan and just pay whatever is demanded.

i'd even go one step further and counter demand

a million $US myself, that way i can make sure she either loves

me desperately, or alternatively i'll make a profit,

so its profit either way

On 4/9/2019 at 2:54 AM, Pravda said:

I am always curious about replies like this as I find them a little untruthful and require a bit more explanation. Did you marry in amphur only, no ceremony? What kind of Thai woman did you marry? A bargirl? Did they have living parents?

I certainly "paid" million baht which was promptly returned to me down to last satang (to clarify returned to me, not us). Her parents also paid for all wedding costs. I was told money is for the couple not for the parents. The money was simply the part of the ceremony. 

I have been to some wife's Thai only very upper middle class weddings. There was always a sinsod involved. I think this topic must have been posted on the first day the internet was born. Sinsod is not a rip-off and you certainly don't "pay" sinsod. This is why I think your reply is utter bull. Maybe you didn't pay sinsod but paid the monthly "allowance".

So, what's the logic between taking your money out of one pocket, only to put it in the other pocket? And even worse, having someone else do it, hoping it comes back LOL

On 4/11/2019 at 5:11 AM, Anastasios said:

So, what's the logic between taking your money out of one pocket, only to put it in the other pocket? And even worse, having someone else do it, hoping it comes back LOL

I guess it's just a part of the culture.

My wife's very rich westernized friend opened a hotel in the middle of Bangkok recently. She doesn't believe in ghosts or bad luck, but still had a bunch of monks bless the place in a full day ceremony. It was an event and possibly a bit of advertising going on.... I don't know and I don't care as long as I am not poorer at the end of the day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 6:34 AM, Pravda said:

I guess it's just a part of the culture.

My wife's very rich westernized friend opened a hotel in the middle of Bangkok recently. She doesn't believe in ghosts or bad luck, but still had a bunch of monks bless the place in a full day ceremony. It was an event and possibly a bit of advertising going on.... I don't know and I don't care as long as I am not poorer at the end of the day.

Well let me tell you, it's not part of the culture of typical marriages, it's part of the story-telling-culture of a particular section of thai women looking for older western men. The typical Thai can't even get a bank loan for the sums people post here, let alone muster up the money. My girl told me in her village, many don't even marry because they can't afford the ceremony. They just have kids and live life as if married. 

Would you sell your daughter away? This answer ends that discussion. Would you partake in that kind of ceremony where you show off your ability to provide (under the circumstance that you get it back, only for show)? Up to you, I wouldn't. 

You're declaring things as facts, as if they're an universal part of the culture. Yet these sums are unobtainable for the vast majority in Thailand. And just because some can afford doesn't mean they give a flying f about any tradition even their own western traditions, and thus many more marriages than you believe occur without any sin sod.

Sorry for the rant mate and I don't mean to attack you but this talk is so repetetive here yet when you meet a lot of people in Thailand you see a different story. You also have the choice to stick to your guns and deny any sin sod and get upset over being asked. This will force your partner to show what they really think of you.

I just got married and nobody asked for sin sod. I gave one anyway because it is a custom (I think?) and unsignificant amount relative to my wealth: 50,000THB. My wife wanted to get it back but I insisted for her familly to keep it. I also know the family won't waste it.

They now plan to use this money to improve their house and add a room for me and my wife when we come visit. I would say the family is low middle class. Not met my wife in a bar.

Except for the language barrier the relationship with my familly/wife feels pretty much the same from what I experienced in the west. 

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

If its true love then she should give up the idea of getting sin Sot from him.

Just make sure he builds her a house or even better, buys her a condo.

enjoy the first part of your post, made good sense,. second part you let yourself down.

5 hours ago, sirocco said:

Not sure she's worth it,
especially at 20, she claims to have a stomach of 8 months
of pregnant woman.
Unless the Thais love the paunchy young women.

lol my stomach disappeared 

On 4/8/2019 at 1:58 PM, merlen10002 said:

Married twice in Thailand never paid Sin Sod, it is not necessary, only idiots pay Sin Sod, if a Thai lady wants someone to pay Sin Sod move on many more ladies to pick from, if you pay Sin Sod most ladies family will be in your pocket all the time. 

Wow, your so tough / so strong, what bulk powder do you consume 3 times per day?

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:45 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

IF a woman in Thailand is marrying a woman, guess not yet, who is paying then?

In India, the man gets a dowry and even long after marriage can increase the dowry. Send his wife to parents to get more and if not right, he can walk and makes his wife ugly by setting her on fire. 

In western world mostly the family of the bride is paying the mariage. However some countries the woman has to show off with her big fat /engagement wedding ring.

All stupid things. Marriage is stupid, its only a contract for government.

The vows in marriage arent worth anything, it just can change in a jiffy. For instance: see lately Nicolas Cage.  

Marriage, when the pink has gone, you face a  black hole    

Most western marriages the couple lie when they vow to stay together till death do part.

Marriage is BS anyway. In the west it's just a way for the woman to get his money after they divorce, and in Thailand it's just a way for the woman to get the man's money.

Once sex robots become a reality, marriage will go the way of the Dodo.

Archived