BANGKOK 23 May 2019 16:42
punchandjudy

The locals obsession with Apple and iPhones

To me:

A shirt is a shirt.

A watch is a watch.

A smartphone is a smartphone.

One really interesting thing here is how people are obsessed with designer and luxury brands.

I have seen construction workers and manual labour etc who do not appear to earn very much, yet some still have iPhones.

Is it because they want to show off to their peers and strangers on the street that they have the money to buy an iPhone?

Why is standing out through material possessions so important?

• Like 1

Material status is much more important in these parts of the world and it, unfortunately, often is the only way many people here measure their value as members of the society or human beings in general. Not limited to SE and E Asia, of course, but more deeply embedded here than, say, in Western Europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, punchandjudy said:

Sorry for hurting your feelings by having an opinion mate.

Good win against Man Utd by the way.

We're not finished yet !! (until Man City teach us a lesson that is!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking directly to the iPhone it’s perceived as a quality device and the ecosystem, iTunes, iMessages, FaceTime etc are feature distinctions from android would be my understanding.
We have standing offers to buy my wife’s used phone in the future as they know I will upgrade hers every few years. Currently a niece has dibs on the X I brought months before they were available in Thailand.
Her brother got the 6 and a friend took the 5 before that.
We sell them for more than the Apple sellers will give me on a trade back and people are happy to pay because they know her and feel confident she’s taken good care of it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, punchandjudy said:

t has not escaped my notice, but it is definitely more widespread in Thailand and Asia in general than it is in the UK at least.

Where are you now? Comparing Apples to oranges. Go to a US university, 90% of the phones and computers are Apple..

Lots of people seem to like Apple's designer image though to me it seems more like slick marketing than anything else. Certainly the phones are not noticeably better quality or better value than some other brands as far as I can see, and I particularly dont like the way that Apple lock you into their universe and cream off a large percentage of everything you spend in it.
Many Thais will buy anything if they think it comes with status attached.