Need urgent advise about how to deal with Dogbites

samtyi

Hi Guys,

I need advise what to do about a problem of mine. I own 2 Pitbull Pups 4-5 Months, female and male.

I know myself that my female Pitbull will Bite IF you provoke her or touch her. She has bitten 2 Dogs dead already in front of our house. Both Dog had NO owner. Her first bite was to protect my grandmother when she was cleaning in front of our house. Dog(Thai dog 2-3 years old) (owner left him when he moved out) wanted to bite my grandmother so she attacked and end up killing the Dog. She bite the dogs neck and didn't let go, i got in between the dogs and got my dog off the other dog. I had dog bites on my hand and went to doctor and got my shots. Dog died from bleeding out from the neck.

The second time was also a stray dog, she bid his right ear off because he smelled her but. The dog came onto our property and got bitten here from both of the dogs. Dog ran away, i only know it died because someone that picks up the rubbish(bottle, plastic etc....) told us.

Until a couple days she never ever bite a human. 4 days ago when i came home from my daily Dog walk, i stop to buy some milk and ramen from the shop near our House. I lock my Dog onto a tree and told those drunk people that were drinking not to touch my dogs because it will bite you. They didn't listen and he got bitten on the Leg after he touch her but part.

Immediately I OFFER him to get him to doctor and would pay for the bill. I also told him that my dogs are vaccinated. In his drunkenness he didn't want to do it.

Well i thought if he didn't want to go then i cant make him go, and i thought the problem its cleared.

Yesterday i asked the shop owner how he is doing and she told me that he only got a mark and skin was violet(you know what i mean right? wen you bump into something).

I ask her if he went to doctor and she said he doesn't have the money to do so. I said offer still stands.

Now in his drunkenness( he usely is every day drunk from morning till night) he came to my house when i wasn't here (grandmother was at home) and demanded money or he will go to the police.

He said something like yesterday was everything okay but now he cant walk and cant go to find work.

I told my grand mom that i can offer him 2000 baht for the doctors bill, i know you can get the doc shots for 30 baht.

In every area(Khon Kaen) you got those places where you go with you ID card and can get injections or little thinks like cold etc fixed, its a small government clinic.

If you go to hospital you would need to pay around 500-600 baht(if you ask why i know this is because i got bitten a couple times from stray dogs haha).

Now to be short, my grandmother said that i am crazy to pay him 2000 baht +, she said if i should pay its only 200-400 baht.

My friends that i asked said don't pay at all, he wont go doctor anyway and use the money to buy his daily drinks(i full glass 10 baht).

Now i need some advice from you guys what to do?  Should i pay or should i let the police handle it.

Thanks again for advises

in England there s an expression 'no such thing as a bad dog only bad owners'. 

For years I bred, hunted and showed Gordon Setters - a Scottish hunting dog. My biggest dog could power a German Shepherd down and once dragged one into the sea without biting through the skin. I trained him to behave in a show ring where at his best he came second out of 240 others; yet he would still protect my home and family.

In Thailand I trained our Rottweiler to the same level.

You asked for advice so here is mine. You take the victim to the local hospital and pay for his treatment. If there is any change from the allotted 2,000, then invest it into paying someone to teach you how to train your dog not to bite other animals or drunks.

Pit Bulls have enormous jaw strength but all do not bite people only handled ones do.

Train your dog and avoid such events.  

You should be required to carry 1 million baht liability insurance on each dog...

These dogs kill people...one is bad enough...2 get very excited and can do permanent damage...

Someone dies...you should be held responsible...

What to do?... 

Have your dog put down... It's proven it will bite humans. When will it maul a child's face?

I'm sorry if this is harsh or upsets the sensitivities of dog lovers, I too care for dogs and believe all animals should be treated kindly. But, I am also a pragmatist who cares for children and humans more than animals.

You are already aware of your dogs behavior and that it will bite - You, as the owner are responsible for any injury another person or child receives as a result of your dog. 

As far as Puchaiyank's comments are concerned regarding 1MB liability - Unfortunately you can't put a price on human  life, regardless of how often this is done in Thailand. 

The only way to ensure no children or other adults are injured by such a powerful animal is to remove the dog from the equation, otherwise you are just hoping something won't happen rather than taking all measures to ensure you are never responsible for a tragedy - a harsh and unpopular opinion I'm sure.

Goodness only knows why people keep pitbulls. What do you expect them to do, it's what they are bred for?  No idea what you do now, as you are facing years of endless problems.  What you should have done was not get them in the first place, but that is hardly useful advice now. 

Good evening Samtyi. 

I haven’t any advice except if the injured party wants to involve the police; let him. 

But can I ask 2 questions

• Do you have children 

• Why did you take on dogs as violent and unpredictable as pit bulls?

thanks

CC

13 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Goodness only knows why people keep pitbulls. What do you expect them to do, it's what they are bred for?  No idea what you do now, as you are facing years of endless problems.  What you should have done was not get them in the first place, but that is hardly useful advice now. 

Properly brought up, pit bulls in my experience are a worthwhile dog to have, loyal, intelligent, protective. I don't have pit bulls but the 7 dogs I do have were initially whacked hard when they were naughty, they are always happy to see me and come immediately whatever they are doing, when called, by name. Haven't done more than occasionally raise my hand for years now

You can't train dogs with love alone. Pit bulls however, don't care if you hit them once they get their teeth in.

Just now, cooked said:

Properly brought up, pit bulls in my experience are a worthwhile dog to have, loyal, intelligent, protective. I don't have pit bulls but the 7 dogs I do have were initially whacked hard when they were naughty, they are always happy to see me and come immediately whatever they are doing, when called, by name. Haven't done more than occasionally raise my hand for years now

You can't train dogs with love alone. Pit bulls however, don't care if you hit them once they get their teeth in.

as you are a dog man, so you know only too well that they will follow the leader (you) if you show that you are the boss. The trouble seems to be that a lot of owners of strong dogs, like pitbulls and rottweilers, just don't know how to project that leadership to the dog. But it's not just that,  they are very territorial as we know, and they will go to protect what they see as theirs, if there is a preserved threat to them or their leader, therein lies the problem. I have a little toy Shih Tzu puppy.  Even he, small as he is,  exhibits all of these behaviours, he's just too small to be much of a threat, but he's a dog, so he still tries and he still needs to be trained accordingly, if only to stop him thinking he can kill the cat, who really is the boss, of us all !!.   

It's people like you samtyi, with your vicious-looking and vicious pit bull, that ruin dog walks for people like me. People see me on leashed walks (not in Thailand) with my ever-so-friendly Brittany and they want to pet her. But first, some ask, "does it bite"? What an insult! But I guess they have all read the stories about pit bulls, with reckless owners like you, biting people.

And I ask. Why the ( self deleted) would you take a viscous animal like this out on a walk and leave it unattended, without a muzzle, while you go into a store? My gawd man. Have you lost all common sense?

Interesting reading. The owner is obviously oblivious to the facts of what this breed of dog can do!! Or in denial!! The owner needs to ensure the injured man get's proper medical treatment or the consequences could be much worse than if he deals with this now. Also these dogs need to be put down humanely as they have had the taste of blood and will only get more inclined to bite, injure and almost certainly kill.

As an owner of such a breed you full responsibility and should listen to sense and reason and do something constructive about the whole situation before worse happens and your 'small World' will come crashing down around you.

Wise up and take the correct actions!!!  Now!!!!  

IMO for a 4-5 month old dog to do that, the fault for this happening is entirely on the owner. 0% socializing, 0% training. At 4-5 months old, again IMO, these are the actions of an abused animal. These are not traits for a normal pit. Pits have to be trained to kill, don't train them this way and they will be great family dogs.

Of course it could be generics through bad breeding/in breeding but none the less.

And again as others have noted, it could be a troll post. But coming back to your question as to what to do for the victim, have the dogs had their rabies shots? This is different to their normal vaccine shots, but I would imagine any decent vet would administer this. If not then the 48 hour period between bite and serious problems is running down for the victim. Cover yourself by accompanying him to the hospital and seeing the anti-rabies process has begun.

On 4/6/2019 at 8:00 PM, yosib157 said:

in England there s an expression 'no such thing as a bad dog only bad owners'. 

For years I bred, hunted and showed Gordon Setters - a Scottish hunting dog. My biggest dog could power a German Shepherd down and once dragged one into the sea without biting through the skin. I trained him to behave in a show ring where at his best he came second out of 240 others; yet he would still protect my home and family.

In Thailand I trained our Rottweiler to the same level.

You asked for advice so here is mine. You take the victim to the local hospital and pay for his treatment. If there is any change from the allotted 2,000, then invest it into paying someone to teach you how to train your dog not to bite other animals or drunks.

Pit Bulls have enormous jaw strength but all do not bite people only handled ones do.

Train your dog and avoid such events.  

My father bred and raised German shepards and Bouviers.

He absolutely loved his dogs.

But any dog that bit a human being was finished.

You can never trust such a dog any more, he said, it will bite again.

2 minutes ago, Hotrudester said:

Also these dogs need to be put down humanely as they have had the taste of blood and will only get more inclined to bite, injure and almost certainly kill.

Sorry, complete urban myth. One of the reasons why so many of these dogs are euthanized around the world.

If a poodle bit someone would that make that dog dangerous because he/she had tasted blood? Or are you saying it only concerns pitbulls? The number of time I have had blood drawn from my dogs while playing as pups and young dogs is uncountable (German shepherds & Siberians) and it hasn't made them a danger to society at all.

I have 6 dogs their behind a 2 meter wall and contained as they should be if i had a dangerous dog as you do and don't have him contained so he's not a threat to other dogs or the public time to get rid of him before he kills a child.

U will never stop a pitbull from attacking other dogs as for attacking  humans , it's down to training them not to do so . It can be done quite easily . Best u can do is tske the drunk to hospital or pay him 1 or 2 thousand baht and get a muzzle for your dog . If u dont get a muzzle for that dog you may as well have an alligator running around your home ... grandmother could be next ! 

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

My father bred and raised German shepards and Bouviers.

He absolutely loved his dogs.

But any dog that bit a human being was finished.

You can never trust such a dog any more, he said, it will bite again.

My friend had a German Shepard named "Rolex" ... "strange name for a dog"  I said . " it's a watch dog" he replied 

You're all missing the main clue.  "i stop to buy some milk and ramen If you were going to feed me ramen for my dinner, I'd probably be somewhat upset & wanna bite someone !

Archived