Owning a Ducati...

I've taken a fancy to the 2019 Ducati Cafe Racer....  

Such a liking to it that unless I'm kept away I'm likely top pop into a Ducati Dealer on a whim and find myself riding one away.... 

I've read a few Scrambler forums etc... and know about the bike etc... my questions to the ThaiVisa motorcycle forum are:

1) Do you / have you owned a Ducati - How has your ownership experience been?

i.e. dealing with Ducati Thailand. 

2) What are the costs associated with maintaining a Ducati in Thailand ?

Bikes come with 2 yrs maintenance 

3) Anyone own a Scrambler? What is it like to ride in Thailand (a hot country) does the Scrambler get too hot in traffic ?

4) Owners of the Scrambler... What is the size like? (I'm 182cm) I'm not sure if I'm too tall. I'll test ride it of course. 

Any Ducati experience, disasters, (intelligent) advice welcomed....

Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 20.00.39.png

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never ridden the 800cc scrambler, just sat on it, and it felt small (i'm 183).

If it's too small or not depends on many factors, for example how long your legs are what you are going to use it for. If you plan to use it a lot in the city then it's of course nice that it's small, if you plan to make extended trips with it it might become uncomfortable (but a naked bike like a scrambler isn't made for extended trips anyway).

I did never sit on the 1100cc model, but this looks a bit bigger and might suit you better. An alternative might be the Triumph Scrambler 1200, after sitting on it i can say that this is definitely not too small. Both bikes do of course cost quite a bit more than the 800cc Ducati.

I'm quite sure they would not sell a bike which overheats, so it might get hot, but not too hot ????

Service costs are fixed by Ducati Thailand, just ask a dealer for the service price charts, or maybe you can find them online.

If anything breaks you can be sure it will be expensive. I don't own a Ducati, but a Triumph Tiger, for example a front fender for the Tiger costs 8500 THB, expect similar prices for a Ducati.

I own a Scrambler 800 Icon. Have put more than 25k km on it. My biggest surprise: this turned out to actually be an adventure bike! Not because of the way it rides but because my ownership experience was a big adventure ????

You can find my history with the bike on this and another forum. Short summary: I had tons and tons of issues with the bike. One massive oil leak within 24h which eventually got me a brand new bike after they failed to properly handle the issue. After that I had a few more small oil leaks from the oil filter (Ducati just said Thailand is hot and the bike vibrates *shrug*). I had a warped front rotor. A broken timing belt polley. A burned out clutch which the mechanics couldn't fix and had to wait for a chief mechanic from BKK to fly in which took forever. I once waited over 3 months for a part because they had to get it from Italy even though they have a factory in Thailand. The bike gets hot. Very hot. If you ride in short pants than prepare for some mild burns. Not that I would recommend ever riding in short pants but just to give you a feel of the level of heat. It's OK when you can ride without stopping but in the sun in stop-n-go traffic it can be a real pain and you'll try to spread your legs away from the engine. The suspension is utter crap. Bottom of the shelf stuff. The fueling sucked, I read newer models are a bit better. Costs were low due to the included 2 year maintenance, that's really great.

To summarize my summary via the bulletpoints you provided:

1. My experience with Ducati in Thailand has been pretty bad. The old dealer in Phuket had to close, that's how bad they were. I can't say too much about the new one because I have not ridden the Scrambler all too much since I got other bikes. They seemed much more professional. I know Ducati Vibahavadi in BKK has really good mechanics. Other areas seem to have less than stellar staff. Ducati Thailand itself has issues being efficient.

2. Due to the 2 years maintenance offering, costs are quite low. After that it'll be higher than Japanese brands. Also insurance is much higher for Ducatis. I paid 18k first class in the first year.

3. It's stupidly hot in stop-n-go traffic. Uncomfortable when stopped at a red light. I turn the engine off when I can but that only helps so much. Oh and if there's rain then you get dirty from front and back, the fenders dont work as they are too short.

4. It's small. I am a few cm taller than you and I look like a bear riding a bicycle on it.

But on the flip side not all is bad. It sounds great, it's super light and very easy to handle. It looks fantastic. The power is enough for around town. It's really more of a heart vs brain thing. Would I buy one again? No. Do I regret the purchase? Also no, it was a lot of fun owning one and I learned a lot about what bikes I really like.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

I'm quite sure they would not sell a bike which overheats, so it might get hot, but not too hot ????

If anything breaks you can be sure it will be expensive. I don't own a Ducati, but a Triumph Tiger, for example a front fender for the Tiger costs 8500 THB, expect similar prices for a Ducati.

The bike never overheated but might still be too hot for the rider ????

Though then again when I tried the Panigale V4S, ouf, that thing was again on another level and I felt good coming back onto my Scrambler. It's all relative.

About the fender: Hah yea, I asked about a small piece of plastic (extension) for the back fender and they said 10k THB. I just laughed and I could see the sales guy himself couldn't really believe it either.

Love my scrambler.change the stock seat for a Corbin custom saddle.
Completely different ride.own 4 ducs the scrambler is my round town scooter.ducati Chiangmai has changed owners and is top notch.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Ducati's are made for experienced drivers, not for rookies.

Experienced fast-track horse drivers are called.... ?

And they are small in length, so fit for Duccies.

4 hours ago, papa al said:

small for 182.

But very cool status bike.

If you get one you will be cool by extension.

Buy one today,

& ensure a happy future.

Changing the steer and seat cushions would do.

The same on moderate distances is a Fino feels too small but it is ok on Click.

I am 184cm. Had a Kapteijn Mobylette and Raleigh Roundbout, did some modification on the saddle and steer and was happy to drive that years ago.

But..If they can do it

653137890_mInibike.gif.fcc7e91f6267910a73397ca21cd8ffa2.gifSimpleTestyCoypu-max-1mb.gif.75141fe3bf9a2cfba2725789db3e575e.gif

I have a had a Scrambler FT for about 4 years now, had a 939 Motard for 2 years ( recently sold ) and have a 2018 950 Adventure touring MS ( white ).

When i bought the motard the wife basically robbed the FT off me, it's perfect bike for her, not crazy power, great height ( she's 165cm ) and very easy to drive.

I found the motard great also, although needs to be driven fast, a bit too aggressive if anything IMO, put about 15,000kms on it in the 2 years i had it. Had the panniers for it which are good for 5-6 days worth of clothes etc. Fuel range not the best, about 200km +/-

MS 950 is also great, super comfy, great fuel range ( 325km +/- ), my only slight complaint with this bike is that it's heavy.

To answer your questions:

1. As with everything in this country customer service is crap. Luckily i've not had too many issues, had the seat replaced on the FT due to mold. To accomplish this i had to contact Bologna (sp). I complained online about the service here and the next day had a call from Italy, very prompt. The new seat also developed mold but to save the hassle i got it recovered at a local somchai shop for 200baht, it's been good for 2 years...go figure.

2. Regular servicing prices i've found very reasonable.

3. All bikes get hot here as soon as your stationary, the scramble no more than others i've had.

4. I'm 180cm and feel a little big on it. As mentioned wifey is 165cm and i'd say a good fit, not sure if the new 1100 is higher?

The 1100 Scrambler is minimally (bit more than 1cm) higher. But of course he wont get that nice cafe racer model there.

JaiLai actually raised a great point. It's a nice big bike for a Thai girl. My GF really fits well on it and it looks absolutely great on her. I know of at least two Falang who's GF/wife gets to use their Scrambler. Haven't experienced that with other big bikes.

Just now, eisfeld said:

The 1100 Scrambler is minimally (bit more than 1cm) higher. But of course he wont get that nice cafe racer model there.

JaiLai actually raised a great point. It's a nice big bike for a Thai girl. My GF really fits well on it and it looks absolutely great on her. I know of at least two Falang whos GF/wife gets to use their Scrambler. Haven't experienced that with other big bikes.

11 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

My only other small complaints about the FT and Motard is neither of them have a fuel gauge.

The FT also has no gear indicator.

Not major issues but still slightly annoying.

Thank you for all the replies and good info.... 

I've asked for a test ride - I need to find out myself how hot it feels in stop-go traffic and how well I fit the bike.

The Scrambler 1100 is bigger and a better size - but then may be too big for getting around Bangkok. 

The bike mostly going to be used for getting around town and to the outskirts of town...  for which a scooter is a better option ! (and has better storage) but the Ducati is something I probably have to get out of my system...  kind of like owning an Alfa Romeo... 

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

My only other small complaints about the FT and Motard is neither of them have a fuel gauge.

The FT also has no gear indicator.

Not major issues but still slightly annoying.

Yup, I was pretty surprised that a bike in this day and age doesn't have these. But lo and behold, the newest one seems to have both.

2019-Ducati-Scrambler-Icon-instrument.jp

Thank you for all the replies and good info.... 

I've asked for a test ride - I need to find out myself how hot it feels in stop-go traffic and how well I fit the bike.

The Scrambler 1100 is bigger and a better size - but then may be too big for getting around Bangkok. 

The bike mostly going to be used for getting around town and to the outskirts of town...  for which a scooter is a better option ! (and has better storage) but the Ducati is something I probably have to get out of my system...  kind of like owning an Alfa Romeo... 

IMO it’s a waste of money to spend that sort of money for using around town, I have a pcx for this purpose.

It will get very hot, no doubt.

The guy I sold my motard to bought it for mostly driving about bkk, I still speak to him and he says it’s cut out a few times, something that never happened in my 15k kms with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, KC 71 said:

Always wanted one
Too scared - had to settle with a pcx -sorry only talking true

Why low-ball yourself...the Benelli Leonchino is half the price (200K+) of the Scrambler.Displacement is 500cc,generally ample for ripping around the hills of the North.

Leoncino---RED.jpg

47 minutes ago, JaiLai said:
1 hour ago, eisfeld said:
2019-Ducati-Scrambler-Icon-instrument.jpg&key=18f936dbfcc26aaeeb82ae609bdb6cf12c3fbcaa223d3b6d7bf19704a352481c

That’s good news, makes total sense.

Yup... the previous model had no fuel gauge and no gear indicator (only indicated neutral) 

Other critics of the previous model - the clutch was harsh and the throttle response twitchy - this has all been resolved on the 2019 model with the inclusion of hydraulic clutch and adjusted throttle. It also has cornering ABS... 

50 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

IMO it’s a waste of money to spend that sort of money for using around town, I have a pcx for this purpose.

It will get very hot, no doubt.

The guy I sold my motard to bought it for mostly driving about bkk, I still speak to him and he says it’s cut out a few times, something that never happened in my 15k kms with it.

Oh... its a total waste of money... I already have a perfectly reasonable bike and a car.

My Wife mostly uses the car though... 

If it was for purely practical reasons - I would have kept the scooter (Yamaha Tricity)... and rent something larger for out of town trips (i.e. BMW F850GS if possible).

The Ducati is also impractical... at least on the bike I have now (BMW G310GS) I have collapsable storage bag on the back (and can use this out of town trips although it may struggle causing at 120kmh with the other traffic).

There is only one reason I can think of to get the Ducati Cafe Racer..... and thats because I really like it !!!... no logical reason at all. I can't even justify it... but have been (i.e. I've lot more money on my car the moment I drove out of the showroom !)... 

There are other bikes I like, but they're not available here in Thailand. 

CCM Flattracker

Husqvarna Vitpilen 701

Norton Atlas Ranger & Nomad

I also like the BMW RnineT but thats about 1MB and a little too large to throw around town... 

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Oh... its a total waste of money... I already have a perfectly reasonable bike and a car.

My Wife mostly uses the car though... 

If it was for purely practical reasons - I would have kept the scooter (Yamaha Tricity)... and rent something larger for out of town trips (i.e. BMW F850GS if possible).

The Ducati is also impractical... at least on the bike I have now (BMW G310GS) I have collapsable storage bag on the back (and can use this out of town trips although it may struggle causing at 120kmh with the other traffic).

There is only one reason I can think of to get the Ducati Cafe Racer..... and thats because I really like it !!!... no logical reason at all. I can't even justify it... but have been (i.e. I've lot more money on my car the moment I drove out of the showroom !)... 

There are other bikes I like, but they're not available here in Thailand. 

CCM Flattracker

Husqvarna Vitpilen 701

Norton Atlas Ranger & Nomad

I also like the BMW RnineT but thats about 1MB and a little too large to throw around town..

Very nice, they're starting to appear on the 2nd market occassionally now, 600-700K, still pricey!

I've owned a couple of Ducatis, a Monster and a Diavel, and I enjoyed owning and riding both of them. Ducati Pattaya service still leaves a little to be desired although they have gotten much better over the years. They look great, sound great, and are fun to ride. My main complaint wouldn't be about the service, that is easy enough to live with, but about the heat in traffic. All Ducatis are extremely hot in stop and go traffic, with the long intervals between many Thailand stop lights they can get very uncomfortable. Still I like Ducatis and I think that you will be happy if you decide to get one. 

5 minutes ago, Lucky33 said:

I've owned a couple of Ducatis, a Monster and a Diavel, and I enjoyed owning and riding both of them. Ducati Pattaya service still leaves a little to be desired although they have gotten much better over the years. They look great, sound great, and are fun to ride. My main complaint wouldn't be about the service, that is easy enough to live with, but about the heat in traffic. All Ducatis are extremely hot in stop and go traffic, with the long intervals between many Thailand stop lights they can get very uncomfortable. Still I like Ducatis and I think that you will be happy if you decide to get one. 

Whenever at lights I leave the bike in 1st gear and turn off the engine... 

I restart & go as soon as the lights change. 

Does that make any difference to the heat with Ducati when stopped at lights? 

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whenever at lights I leave the bike in 1st gear and turn off the engine... 

I restart & go as soon as the lights change. 

Does that make any difference to the heat with Ducati when stopped at lights? 

Starting any bike in gear can put extra strain on the starter / starter clutch , but my main concern would be switching the engine off.  Even without an oil cooler , the engine/gearbox oil helps cool the engine , but only if it is flowing - IE engine running. With no coolant flow of either water or oil , the engine will just sit there , cooking itself. Which is why these stop/start systems are such a stupid idea , unless there is an electric pump to circulate the cooling fluids.

2 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Starting any bike in gear can put extra strain on the starter / starter clutch , but my main concern would be switching the engine off.  Even without an oil cooler , the engine/gearbox oil helps cool the engine , but only if it is flowing - IE engine running. With no coolant flow of either water or oil , the engine will just sit there , cooking itself. Which is why these stop/start systems are such a stupid idea , unless there is an electric pump to circulate the cooling fluids.

It adds extra strain with clutch fully depressed?

If doing so damages the engine, what happens when we switch off the engine normally at the and ride?  

I figured in turning off the engine, no

combustion, no further heat generation, cooling of the engine would be quicker than could be provided by oil circulation when the engine is on and not moving (on air cooled bikes). 

Of course, I don’t  - you make a good point... it would be good to know for sure. 

3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I was always told never to start a bike in gear.

Clutch fully depressed... does it even matter if it’s in gear or not? 

Could easily put it in neutral if so, it’s just a quicker start up & take off procedure when everyone else is already trying to jump the lights... 

Archived