Owning a Ducati...

3 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Starting any bike in gear can put extra strain on the starter / starter clutch

Afaik a clutch sits before the gears, so pressing the clutch while in gear should put less strain on the starter than not pressing the clutch and being in neutral. But i think the difference is very marginal and doesn't matter.

3 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

but my main concern would be switching the engine off.  Even without an oil cooler , the engine/gearbox oil helps cool the engine , but only if it is flowing - IE engine running. With no coolant flow of either water or oil , the engine will just sit there , cooking itself. Which is why these stop/start systems are such a stupid idea , unless there is an electric pump to circulate the cooling fluids. 

If you turn the engine off it doesn't produce any more heat, it only gets cooler, so it's no problem that the cooling system turns off as well.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Clutch fully depressed... does it even matter if it’s in gear or not? 

Could easily put it in neutral if so, it’s just a quicker start up & take off procedure when everyone else is already trying to jump the lights... 

Do as you wish, i've heard this from several experienced mechanics.

It's always better to be in nuetral when stationary.

Clutch fully depressed... does it even matter if it’s in gear or not? 

Could easily put it in neutral if so, it’s just a quicker start up & take off procedure when everyone else is already trying to jump the lights... 
Those milliseconds make all the difference 5555

It's just not good practice to leave any vehicle in gear when turning off or starting. It just means you may not be in 100% control and the vehicle could lurch if you're not holding the clutch in when you start it

Never heard of any engine or gearbox damage through the practice to be honest....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

It just means you may not be in 100% control and the vehicle could lurch if you're not holding the clutch in when you start it

If you are not pressing the clutch you can't start it

Cooling issues due to turning off the engine doesn't make much sense to me. When you are sitting at the red light and let the engine idle in neutral then it will heat up. If you turn it off, it will slowly cool down, exactly the same as if you just finished your ride. I felt a noticable difference when turning off the engine of my Scrambler when sitting at a red light for 150 seconds.

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:
50 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

It just means you may not be in 100% control and the vehicle could lurch if you're not holding the clutch in when you start it

If you are not pressing the clutch you can't start it

Thats not a concern then... only an idiot would try to start and in-gear bike without the clutch fully engaged. 

I’m more interested in the validity of the concerns regarding potentially compromising mechanical integrity when turning the engine off at the lights, leaving the bike in gear & restarting (clutch fully engaged) when the lights switch to green. 

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

Do as you wish, i've heard this from several experienced mechanics.

It's always better to be in nuetral when stationary.

I’m interested in the mechanics of why... 

some also suggest to turn AC off Before turning off the car, to turn / align the wheels straight when parked  etc.... 

I’m wondering if your point is for older bikes or if there is any impact on modern bikes at all. 

I can’t imagine what issues there could be, but I’m not a mechanic, 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m interested in the mechanics of why... 

some also suggest to turn AC off Before turning off the car, to turn / align the wheels straight when parked  etc.... 

I’m wondering if your point is for older bikes or if there is any impact on modern bikes at all. 

I can’t imagine what issues there could be, but I’m not a mechanic, 

I've no idea the mechanics behind it, just something i've heard several times.

I've also heard about the A/C in cars, no idea the theory behind that also but always park with the wheels straight - lol

Thats not a concern then... only an idiot would try to start and in-gear bike without the clutch fully engaged. 

I’m more interested in the validity of the concerns regarding potentially compromising mechanical integrity when turning the engine off at the lights, leaving the bike in gear & restarting (clutch fully engaged) when the lights switch to green. 
There are plenty of idiots out there

There is no mechanical reason to cause any damage what so ever....

51 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

There are plenty of idiots out there

There is no mechanical reason to cause any damage what so ever....

Indeed... who knows? I may end up forgetting to start with the clutch engaged with a belly full of Lao-Khao...  the sequoi (sp?) would be peeved when jolted off the back.

(Sequoi - a female usually clad in tight fitting top, mini-skirt or cut off jeans (pockets hanging below the cut-off) henna / orange colour dyed hair - usually clinging on to their tool of a boyfriend who’s commonly referred to as a van-van) 

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed... who knows? I may end up forgetting to start with the clutch engaged with a belly full of Lao-Khao...  the sequoi (sp?) would be peeved when jolted off the back.  ...

Do you have the proper riding attire?

image.png.d144a8e447b5b8208fc819f79e38a6de.png

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

... Yes... but when I sent the missus out to get me some leathers I was I’ll prepared for new wild world motorcycling would introduce me to....

No whip, no chains.  FAIL.

Does anyone really own a Ducati? Or does the Ducati own you?  At least with a Honda Wave, I know where I stand in the pecking order.

50 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

No whip, no chains.  FAIL.

Does anyone really own a Ducati? Or does the Ducati own you?  At least with a Honda Wave, I know where I stand in the pecking order.

Without doubt the Ducati owns you....

.... otherwise we’d all be riding around town on convenient scooters with under seat storage & driving around in eco-cars.... 

But I guess then we wouldn’t be looking for an excuse to pop our for a ride... 

Owning some machines fits more in line with hobby than necessity or practicality...

The 2019 Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer unfortunately feels a little too small. 

I only sat on the machine, but felt like a bear on a bicycle...  My legs felt too tucked up underneath me... (I'm not too tall at 182cm... but the bike definitely felt small)

The 1100 scrambler's frame is notably larger and the fit was better when sitting on the machine. 

I also took a look at the Monster 821 which I'm liking. 

The 2019 Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer unfortunately feels a little too small. 

I only sat on the machine, but felt like a bear on a bicycle...  My legs felt too tucked up underneath me... (I'm not too tall at 182cm... but the bike definitely felt small)

The 1100 scrambler's frame is notably larger and the fit was better when sitting on the machine. 

I also took a look at the Monster 821 which I'm liking. 

Have the 821s not been replayed by 796?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, isaanjohnno said:

I can attest that you deal with Ducati Thailand and your life expectancy will be dramatically shortened- they are amongst the worst of companies to deal with. 

They're no better or worse than others.

In reality you don't have to deal with them much, the purchase is painless and depending on how much you drive the regular service intervals are once or twice a year.

So long as you don't have to ask them to deal with anything 'outside the box' it's not that painful. However if you do then be prepared for a head f*&k, no doubt!

2 hours ago, JaiLai said:

They've both been replaced by newer models. 

The Monster Models are now the 797 (B409k to B454k) and the 821 (B479k to B529k)

The 821 has 3 ride modes (Urban - limited to 95bhp, mild throttle response and the ABS and Traction control settings cranked up / Touring - with full 109bhp, moderated throttle throttle, ABS and Traction settings / Sport - unadulterated)... 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:
2 hours ago, JaiLai said:

They've both been replaced by newer models. 

The Monster Models are now the 797 (B409k to B454k) and the 821 (B479k to B529k)

The 821 has 3 ride modes (Urban - limited to 95bhp, mild throttle response and the ABS and Traction control settings cranked up / Touring - with full 109bhp, moderated throttle throttle, ABS and Traction settings / Sport - unadulterated)... 

When things go slightly sideways no company in Thailand is good to deal with... 
I just had a battery go on my BWM (Bike)...  It was going to take 10 days to replace it on warranty... BMW couldn't give me a 'spare' - I went down the road and got a new battery, had it charged, took it back to BMW who installed it on my bike (all in about an hour). 

I was open minded when visiting the Ducati showroom but kind of expecting offhand dismissive treatment (as I've heard they are not very good to deal with), they seemed very forthcoming, answered all my questions, showed me around the bikes and bikes out back, let me sit on them, started them up etc... offered test rides....  (I didn't have time to test ride a few different models so I'll do that next week). 

16 minutes ago, HaleySabai said:

For upcountry Ducati owners, do they still have to go to BKK for the first oil change or risk the nullifying of the warranty?

I’m not sure changing the oil yourself, or having a local garage change your oil would invalidated the warranty or not. I imagine it would (just in case it was replaced with the wrong oil).

There are dealerships in Nakhon Ratchasima and Buriram which may be closer.

Not sure if there is a dealer in Chiang Mai.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

When things go slightly sideways no company in Thailand is good to deal with... 

No company is perfect but I think on average, Honda is quite a bit better when it comes to these things. Apart from their bikes being more reliable, getting spare parts usually took 3 days for me if not locally in stock, one time a whole week. I had good service experience in Phuket, Korat, Udon Thani and Hua Hin. Of course we can all just contribute our own anecdata. Would be nice if there was some open data platform. That being said, I think Ducati has been steadily improving over the years and due to their popularity in Thailand, one can be sure that they'll stick around. With BMW I always worry that a dealer outside of BKK might go away due to low amount of sales.

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m not sure changing the oil yourself, or having a local garage change your oil would invalidated the warranty or not. I imagine it would (just in case it was replaced with the wrong oil).

Khon Kaen also.

BKK is always the preference, as it's an authorized dealer, the others are just franchises i beleive.

Ducati Vibhavadi is always busy which would indicate they're more experienced ( or not? ).

I tried KK once, crap. I've also used Pattaya branch which was ok.

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Servicing is cheap and fixed price.

Also 1 in hat yai

.1923612542_ScreenShot2019-04-11at11_40_02.png.b0282822953b154cff12fb66c1379bc9.png

253734942_ScreenShot2019-04-11at11_48_07.png.d6ffebc7fbf2a542bda81312e9b8337e.png

3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

They're no better or worse than others.

In reality you don't have to deal with them much, the purchase is painless and depending on how much you drive the regular service intervals are once or twice a year.

So long as you don't have to ask them to deal with anything 'outside the box' it's not that painful. However if you do then be prepared for a head f*&k, no doubt!

We had excellent service from our Honda dealer.

Service may depend on  other factors as well.

Buying a Ducati is buying the brand and you gotta be flush with the wherewithal...There are plenty of other great brands and decent alternative machines out there. Is one's status really that important?

Archived