Owning a Ducati...

Just now, bojo said:

Buying a Ducati is buying the brand and you gotta be flush with the wherewithal...There are plenty of other great brands and decent alternative machines out there. Is one's status really that important?

Yes

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bojo said:

Swift, honest and succinct reply. Ducati certainly got their marketing right and standing out from the crowd is quite probably it's strongest pount.....

They're a premium product although at a premium price, their only downfall in this country is the premium service is not always garenteed.

20 minutes ago, bojo said:

Buying a Ducati is buying the brand and you gotta be flush with the wherewithal...There are plenty of other great brands and decent alternative machines out there. Is one's status really that important?

How else am I to compensate for a minute appendage...

Seriously though - I want something a little different that I like the look of... Honda's are boring although I do quite like the CB1000R, I just don't want a machine that large, hence I've backed off the 1100 scrambler... opening myself up to something less retro I've started looking at the 821 Monster. 

I also like the Triumph Street Triple...  and the BMW RnineT is still up there but its too pricey and again, too big. 

I wouldn't mind just sitting on the Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 to check it out for size... 

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 12.40.24.png

Many people have described the Husky as a torture rack. Personally I don't see the appeal of them, also considering that KTM just closed down sales of bikes in Thailand. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Many people have described the Husky as a torture rack. Personally I don't see the appeal of them, also considering that KTM just closed down sales of bikes in Thailand. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

I wouldn’t even know where to find a Husqvarna dealer in Bangkok, so that would be a concern. 

As long as the size is ok a harder seat doesn’t concern me, although reviews have mentioned that the seat is surprisingly comfortable. 

I doubt I’d be riding any bike I get for longer than an hour at time anyway. 

Still not getting a big reliable Honda bike... If I can’t pose I may as well have a scooter... Wave, NMAX etc.. 

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wouldn’t even know where to find a Husqvarna dealer in Bangkok, so that would be a concern. 

As long as the size is ok a harder seat doesn’t concern me, although reviews have mentioned that the seat is surprisingly comfortable. 

Still not getting a big reliable Honda bike... If I can’t pose I may as well have a scooter... Wave, NMAX etc.. 

The dealer is in Pattaya.  1992296425_ScreenShot2019-04-11at20_46_42.png.129995f05efe3d6591bd856178412e37.png

Bought a new 939 Hypermotard from Korat Ducati in 2017.

Great bike, it was either going to be an MT10 or the 939 but as I already own an MT09 and have never owned a Ducati before ..... 939 it was.

Korat Ducati service is good and quick. No issues, even bought some MotoGP tickets for this years race from them (a lot less than the 7-11 priced tickets). 

I bought the bike for generally messing about on, going to the shops and back and firing up to make some noise to impress the neighbours with. Performs well for its intended use.

Have since put an Akra can on it and tail tidy.

It really is a nice bike and different to the Japanese and Triumph bikes I have / am owning (also the only large V or L twin I have owned). Have owned a Street Triple R previously. 

Ducati is now being replacing the 939 with the 950, by reading the road reports is an improvement.

There is an 1100 Scrambler in the showroom in Korat.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:23 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Thank you for all the replies and good info.... 

I've asked for a test ride - I need to find out myself how hot it feels in stop-go traffic and how well I fit the bike.

The Scrambler 1100 is bigger and a better size - but then may be too big for getting around Bangkok. 

The bike mostly going to be used for getting around town and to the outskirts of town...  for which a scooter is a better option ! (and has better storage) but the Ducati is something I probably have to get out of my system...  kind of like owning an Alfa Romeo... 

How did it go?

Have you committed to buying one?

After owning a Ducati Monster and trading it in on a Diavel I went for a Kawasaki Ninja 1000. I had good luck with my Ducatis and I enjoyed riding both of them, I guess that I just wanted something different. 

I've made a couple of trips on my Ninja and so far I really like it. Not too hot in our Thailand hot season traffic and the engine is smooth from idle to the top end, very tractable in stop and go city traffic. The panniers work great, very easy on and off and one key fits everything, bike and panniers. Add adjustable windscreen and a comfortable riding position and seat and I think that this bike is a winner ????.

Kawasaki1000.jpg

After owning a Ducati Monster and trading it in on a Diavel I went for a Kawasaki Ninja 1000. I had good luck with my Ducatis and I enjoyed riding both of them, I guess that I just wanted something different. 

I've made a couple of trips on my Ninja and so far I really like it. Not too hot in our Thailand hot season traffic and the engine is smooth from idle to the top end, very tractable in stop and go city traffic. The panniers work great, very easy on and off and one key fits everything, bike and panniers. Add adjustable windscreen and a comfortable riding position and seat and I think that this bike is a winner [emoji846].
Kawasaki1000.jpg.791c8dd011d332c2ff938e8d41e6dd69.jpg

Just out of interest what was the price?

Guy I know has an Z800 and loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/11/2019 at 3:37 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Husky Bangkok is near MinBuri, North East Bangkok. Nice big showroom with a test track for the dirt bikes which seems to be their main focus.

Cant' link it for some reason, but Google Husqvarna Motorcycles Bangkok in the Maps tab and you'll see it.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

test track for the dirt bikes which seems to be their main focus.

In a land where you can't get a test ride on the street for a big chunk (most?) of models, at least out side BKK, having a dirt track for tests is amazing! Good on that Husky dealer.

22 hours ago, eisfeld said:

In a land where you can't get a test ride on the street for a big chunk (most?) of models, at least out side BKK, having a dirt track for tests is amazing! Good on that Husky dealer.

Yeah if you find it on Google maps and switch to the satellite view, you can see the dirt track out the back. They also have a concrete section but I'd like to think they allow test rides out on the street for their road bikes but I've never asked.

I had some brief dealings with a guy at the dealership when I was looking into a dirt bike from them and they were very helpful and courteous, even when I decided not to buy from them. It's a shame they're so expensive but I think that's due to the tax rather than inflated profit margins.

Ducati were once considered unreliable compared to the Jap bikes, as I'm sure many people are already aware. Even though modern Ducatis are leaps and bounds better in the reliability stakes than they were 20-30 years ago, they still have a reputation for being finicky and running hot - neither is a good trait for someone wanting one in Thailand.

They also need to be serviced by someone who knows exactly what they're doing. I test rode a monster 1200 not so long ago and was blown away with everything about it, but was put off by the servicing and repair costs, which was in the UK. Even if you get a good one with no major issues, you still have to bear in mind that they are a real target for thieves.

If I came into a big chunk of cash, I would probably get one, but certainly wouldn't ride it everyday.

20 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Ducati were once considered unreliable compared to the Jap bikes, as I'm sure many people are already aware. Even though modern Ducatis are leaps and bounds better in the reliability stakes than they were 20-30 years ago, they still have a reputation for being finicky and running hot - neither is a good trait for someone wanting one in Thailand.

They also need to be serviced by someone who knows exactly what they're doing. I test rode a monster 1200 not so long ago and was blown away with everything about it, but was put off by the servicing and repair costs, which was in the UK. Even if you get a good one with no major issues, you still have to bear in mind that they are a real target for thieves.

If I came into a big chunk of cash, I would probably get one, but certainly wouldn't ride it everyday.

Throughout the course of this thread I've developed further concerns for the heat generated in by the Air-cooled scrambler models.

Additionally......

I sat on the regular Scrambler Cafe Racer - it feels too small

I sat on the regular Scrambler Flat Tracker - it also felt too small

I sat on the 1100 Scrambler - liked it, but worry it would get too hot

I sat on the 821 Monster - was ok with it but not blown away

I like the 1100 scrambler style the most, but don't want an 1100cc machine around Bangkok. 

I'm not blown away by the style of the 821 Monster.

I was certain I was going to make a purchase and even had the cash transferred to my Thai account. However, I found myself I walking away from the dealership (who were extremely helpful) without feeling the need to even take a test ride. 

And there it is... The one bike I really did like - The Cafe Racer gave me the impression I was dwarfing the the bike - Kind of like a Viking riding a pygmy pony.

Then there was the 821cc... a decent fit (size) - good tech, its not Air-cooled - so very tempting, but I entered this process with the thought of getting the Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer and not a Monster which I may have turned to for the sake of simply having a Ducati - thus I've kind of walked away from the idea to give it more thought. 

I'll have to test ride Both the 1100 Scrambler and the 821 Monster... but I'm in no rush.

Throughout the course of this thread I've developed further concerns for the heat generated in by the Air-cooled scrambler models.
Additionally......

I sat on the regular Scrambler Cafe Racer - it feels too small
I sat on the regular Scrambler Flat Tracker - it also felt too small
I sat on the 1100 Scrambler - liked it, but worry it would get too hot
I sat on the 821 Monster - was ok with it but not blown away

I like the 1100 scrambler style the most, but don't want an 1100cc machine around Bangkok. 
I'm not blown away by the style of the 821 Monster.

I was certain I was going to make a purchase and even had the cash transferred to my Thai account. However, I found myself I walking away from the dealership (who were extremely helpful) without feeling the need to even take a test ride. 

And there it is... The one bike I really did like - The Cafe Racer gave me the impression I was dwarfing the the bike - Kind of like a Viking riding a pygmy pony.

Then there was the 821cc... a decent fit (size) - good tech, its not Air-cooled - so very tempting, but I entered this process with the thought of getting the Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer and not a Monster which I may have turned to for the sake of simply having a Ducati - thus I've kind of walked away from the idea to give it more thought. 

I'll have to test ride Both the 1100 Scrambler and the 821 Monster... but I'm in no rush.

There’s still options.

You can pick up a 2015/16 821 monster for probably 250k if you hunt about, there’s a lot out there - would save you a bunch of cash and easy resale if you don’t like it, they’re popular.

Scrambler - as above.

OR

Get one of each so you have different riding options.

I thought about my Motard along with my MS950 and Full throttle, at times I wish I did!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, soihok said:

Great isn't it.

Straight through can (no decibel killer)

Neighbours love it ....

Quite a throaty rasp... Sounds great.

I'm quite sure I'd be lynched by the neighbors if found producing such noise. 

I sat on the motard... the seating position seemed 'very frontal' nuts against the tank position. Admittedly I only hopped on for about 20 seconds, but it did feel a little odd. 

OP, did you consider XSR900?

I got one (used) and it's really entertaining to ride. That 3 pot engine is a gem.
6k km service was 1400 baht.

Whatever you decide on, better do it soon, there are whispers about 18% tax increase on big bikes because of the fuel consumption, I read on expat bike FB.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived