Owning a Ducati...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/3/2019 at 10:10 AM, thaiguzzi said:

V7 Guzzi and the Ducati Scramblers, 797 Monsters are of similar size.

I have never found the liquid cooled modern Monsters attractive.

Far too busy in the engine dept. Hoses, radiators, bits'n'bobs everywhere... All a bit of an untidy mess.

The last of the attractive liquid cooled Monsters was the S4 about 12-15 years ago.

Ditto, the prettiest air cooled Monsters were the S2 line from the same period.

Again, some great S/H bargains out there if you want an 821.

Had the S2R 1000 Monster, new in 2006, silver and black, sold it last year before moving here.

One of the best Ducati's I ever had.

GT750..1974

900 SS..1982

906 Paso..1990

M750 Monster..2000

S2R 1000 Monster..2006

On 4/7/2019 at 8:35 AM, jackdd said:

I've never ridden the 800cc scrambler, just sat on it, and it felt small (i'm 183).

If it's too small or not depends on many factors, for example how long your legs are what you are going to use it for. If you plan to use it a lot in the city then it's of course nice that it's small, if you plan to make extended trips with it it might become uncomfortable (but a naked bike like a scrambler isn't made for extended trips anyway).

I did never sit on the 1100cc model, but this looks a bit bigger and might suit you better. An alternative might be the Triumph Scrambler 1200, after sitting on it i can say that this is definitely not too small. Both bikes do of course cost quite a bit more than the 800cc Ducati.

I'm quite sure they would not sell a bike which overheats, so it might get hot, but not too hot ????

Service costs are fixed by Ducati Thailand, just ask a dealer for the service price charts, or maybe you can find them online.

If anything breaks you can be sure it will be expensive. I don't own a Ducati, but a Triumph Tiger, for example a front fender for the Tiger costs 8500 THB, expect similar prices for a Ducati.

Whereas  Honda cbr650 parts  prices are insanely cheap and readily available when I  scuffed  my engine cover on a kerb recently, think it was 500baht , would  cost a  bomb in my home country.

7 hours ago, soihok said:

Richard.

For the love of god, dont go Hardly Driving Son.

What is nice is the soon to be announced new Ducati Streetfighter V4....suppose best get saving then....

I know what you mean about the Harleys... but I promise not to grow a 'horseshoe' moustache, wear a leather waistcoat or ever enter a bar called 'The Blue Oyster'....

Seriously though, the Harley Roadster is rather un-harley like in style and has a semi-retro look that I like. 

I'll have to see the Thruxton and Speed Twin in the Skin - the photos etc don't particularly move me, but as JonnyF wrote - looks better than in the photos.

I have and would also consider a second hand BMW RnineT - but there are only a couple around on the Thai Markets (unless I'm looking in the wrong areas)... and its the 719 which I really like and I think that's a rather new model. 

The best one I have seen is this one.. https://www.motors.co.th/en/bikes/details/BMW-R-nine-T-2015-1522405258 for which the owner is asking 759,000 baht for a 2015 model (but at least its the 'proper' with online suspension etc).

Or this RnineT https://www.bahtsold.com/view/bmw-r-nine-t-limited-edition-grey-2015-304843 but the owner is asking 990,000 baht for a 2015 model (again, the proper one) - but a crazy price fo a 4 year old second hand model. 

The Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled doesn't do it for me, the Full Throttle and Cafe Racer are nice, but I've sat on them... they're small. 

Responding to Chazar - the bikes I'm interested in are more sports-retro rather than CBR type - that said, your comments were taken onboard as I do like the Honda CB1000R & 650, the Yamaha XSR700 & 900 and the Suzuki SV650X... all more modern 'sport-retro' and in their own rights all great machine and probably far better for every day use... but less so for posing which really is what this is all about and I'm not shy to admit it !!!!

In fact - it motorbikes weren't about posing we'd all be riding around on a Honda wave in town and a 600-1000cc Honda / Kawazaki out of town... 

All too much deliberation... no rush though - I don't need a bike.... 

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In fact - it motorbikes weren't about posing we'd all be riding around on a Honda wave in town and a 600-1000cc Honda / Kawazaki out of town... 

Indeed, this is nearly exactly what i do, Honda Wave for the town and a Triumph Tiger 800 for out of town (i wanted to buy a Honda, but Honda is only selling the low version of the Africa Twin in Thailand)

55 minutes ago, jackdd said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed, this is nearly exactly what i do, Honda Wave for the town and a Triumph Tiger 800 for out of town (i wanted to buy a Honda, but Honda is only selling the low version of the Africa Twin in Thailand)

I wonder how many Africa Twin's Honda didn't sell because they only have the pygmy version in Thailand...  I'm also wondering how hard would it have been just to have both available - the logic escapes me. 

I've thought about having 3 bikes...   the BMW F850GS for touring (not that I ever do much), a Scooter for around town (I really did like my old 155cc TriCity) and something retro for posing...  (of course, that would just be a little to extravagant, unnecessary and wasteful).

It's the 'Machine' for posing on which will be my next bike... 

But seriously...  is it even possible to own and be happy with just the one bike? 

I also wonder if it's possible to hire something like a Tiger or 850GS (in Bangkok or Chiang Mai) to use for trips? 

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wonder how many Africa Twin's Honda didn't sell because they only have the pygmy version in Thailand...  I'm also wondering how hard would it have been just to have both available - the logic escapes me. 

Yes, me too, can't be so difficult to send some regular forks and shocks to Thailand and to swap them if the customer wants the normal version.

But Honda is not alone, afaik BMW is selling the F850GS here in Thailand only with the old LCD screen, we can't get the new TFT screen here.

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I also wonder if it's possible to hire something like a Tiger or 850GS (in Bangkok or Chiang Mai) to use for trips? 

I didn't see the Tiger or the F850GS for rent, but here in Chiang Mai is a shop near Tha Phae Gate which has Africa Twins's for rent (until 2017 they were regular height, i assume the shop has both), was told (never rented there, just asked when i was walking by) 3000THB per day, no insurance (except compulsary). Might seem expensive, but actually not unreasonable, big bikes are just expensive. But i would not want to rent a 600k bike without insurance

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, me too, can't be so difficult to send some regular forks and shocks to Thailand and to swap them if the customer wants the normal version.

But Honda is not alone, afaik BMW is selling the F850GS here in Thailand only with the old LCD screen, we can't get the new TFT screen here.

I didn't see the Tiger or the F850GS for rent, but here in Chiang Mai is a shop near Tha Phae Gate which has Africa Twins's for rent (until 2017 they were regular height, i assume the shop has both), was told (never rented there, just asked when i was walking by) 3000THB per day, no insurance (except compulsary). Might seem expensive, but actually not unreasonable, big bikes are just expensive. But i would not want to rent a 600k bike without insurance

I was definitely interested in the F850GS - but the 'Non TFT' screen put me off, I may well have otherwise already been an owner...   But of course, to stop Guzzi from swearing I'd have to even things out with the V7 ii racer... 

I own now 5 Ducatis  2 in Thailand   3 in UK

I have found the dealers in Thailand to be USELESS   often dont know important info and poor spares support

But as I do all my own servicing and repairs its not an issue  I also  fix other friend bikes ,, the spares problem is  bad ,, i bring in loads of  bits from UK  much cheaper  or order from UK on line  and get the bits  in a week by post while local dealers say 2 months and a silly price for essential service items ..

Ther are a few good independent Ducati mechanics around thailand ,, but  TIT

I love my dukes ,, ride them all over SEA ,,and Europe ,, they are not perfect  and have a few flaws ,, the standar REG/RECTIFIER is  a weak point .

I also have a HD and  my wife has Honda Rebel 500  and I have a Benelli,,

13 hours ago, jackdd said:

afaik BMW is selling the F850GS here in Thailand only with the old LCD screen, we can't get the new TFT screen here.

Good!

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was definitely interested in the F850GS - but the 'Non TFT' screen put me off,

I thought you were after retro?

Nothing kills retro, more than that TFT <deleted>.

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:
18 hours ago, jackdd said:

afaik BMW is selling the F850GS here in Thailand only with the old LCD screen, we can't get the new TFT screen here.

Good!

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was definitely interested in the F850GS - but the 'Non TFT' screen put me off,

I thought you were after retro?

Nothing kills retro, more than that TFT <deleted>.

Yep... a Sporty Retro is what I'm after. 

The F850GS is for another time, another purpose, traveling, going on road trips etc...  its fugly but it ticks the box it was designed to tick. 

A scooter is also fugly and wet, but for nipping to the shops and spitting traffic they are ideal

A Retro is what I'm after...  something to enjoy when its sitting on the driveway and when riding it.... and the purpose of this thread is to throw ideas around about modern retro's... some great info so far on this thread... 

I'm definitely going to head down to Triumph and take a look at those machines in the skin... 

OP, with all due respect you should stop flaffing about and buy something, if you don’t like it, change it, sounds like you’ve got a few bob.

There’s loads of great suggestions and experience mentioned on this thread for you to assist with decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The HD roadster looks very cool and with a bit of twiking, fast enough for Thailand.
Go HD or Triumph if you want to look "cool".
Then there is the fun factor which for me is more important than looking cool. A bike that puts a smile on your face each time you ride it. My bike does just that: Xsr900, love it man and I think it looks pretty cool too, a wolf in sheep clothing even, some dudes were in for a little nasty surprise when they wanted to race me and they ended up seeing my ass disappearing fast on the Yamaha, 555. That being said, I also sometimes meet bikes much more powerful than mine and I have to look at them easily pulling away but that's the way it is, I am not getting anything more powerful than I have now, enough is enough.
Yes you need a little run around scooter, they are handy for shopping, just get something you feel comfortable on, Yamaha or Honda, doesn't matter, I would stay away from anything made in China if I was you.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

OP, with all due respect you should stop flaffing about and buy something, if you don’t like it, change it, sounds like you’ve got a few bob.

There’s loads of great suggestions and experience mentioned on this thread for you to assist with decision.

Yep, concur.

Only the OP  can decide which bike tickles his fancy.

Each and every one of us has different opinions and tastes, me especially, having off centre, odd one out ideas on what makes a good motorcycle.

Re, the HD Sportster Roadster - nice bike, but if Scramblers are too small......., the Ducati will eat the HD over country roads too.

Cool? Yeah i think so,

Well, as said before, opinions are like ar#eholes, everyone has got one....

3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Agreed, I should stop piddling about and just go out and buy a damn bike...  

The suggestions have been excellent and the discussion enjoyable....   what started off with wondering if a Ducati is too hot to ride in Bangkok (especially Bangkok traffic) has morphed into a discussion of other possibilities, I've enjoyed the path its taken and thank everyone for participating. 

I'll post up a picture of what I've decided upon if I ever make that decision.

In the mean time, I'm still open to suggestions...  I wish we could get the Norton Atlas Nomad or Ranger in Thailand, or even CCM Spitfire Flat-tracker in Thailand... 

On 8/23/2019 at 9:24 PM, jackdd said:

Me too, big  bikes useless for  nipping to the shops 1-2km away, use the scooooooooooder

11 hours ago, mike787 said:

If it makes you happy buy it!!!!  Don't worry about the worlds opinions, unless you're buying it for us...

..... "there goes a distinguished yet daring man of exceptional taste".....   is much better than... "Look a that fool, his inner thighs and testicles are surely well cooked"...

The thing with motorcycles - there aren't many out there that wouldn't make you happy in the short term....  but we can't buy them all... Its like being a room full of hot and available chicks - do you choose the edgy one with tat's who looks spirited or the one who looks stunning with fake tits, or the one built for comfort with a fat <deleted> but would be amazing fun... 

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

..... "there goes a distinguished yet daring man of exceptional taste".....   is much better than... "Look a that fool, his inner thighs and testicles are surely well cooked"...

The thing with motorcycles - there aren't many out there that wouldn't make you happy in the short term....  but we can't buy them all... Its like being a room full of hot and available chicks - do you choose the edgy one with tat's who looks spirited or the one who looks stunning with fake tits, or the one built for comfort with a fat <deleted> but would be amazing fun... 

RIGHT!! and as with ALL the HOT Thai girls, you won't lose no matter what the choice.  Happy endings will be the result.  Remember: "price is what you pay; value is what you get"!

Archived