fish farming Pond aireation questions

Hello,

I have several 20x20m2 (8) ponds and I was looking at setting up an aeration system using 1 blower. At the moment I only want to

aerate 3-4 of them. I understand the amount of aeration per pond would be determined by the species and numbers. My question

is what would be the normal CFM or L/min for each water hole to keep a decent DO level? Lets say 1 pond 20x20m2, 1.5m deep, 400-500 Pla nin aerated

12 hours a day.

Thank you

I know a lot of what I am doing will be trial and error. I was hoping someone with experience would let me know what they are doing that works just to give me a base number. Like a control group in an

experiment. I am wanting to size a pump and looking closely at electrical cost.

4 minutes ago, chilidog said:

I know a lot of what I am doing will be trial and error. I was hoping someone with experience would let me know what they are doing that works just to give me a base number. Like a control group in an

experiment. I am wanting to size a pump and looking closely at electrical cost.

so why not do what I said in my comment???

Although I  dont farm them I  have a  large 1  rai  lake  5-6metres  deep and I threw  in a  few  hundred Pla  Nin and feed  them twice a  day with no aeration. They are +45 cm in 2-3  years already This fish doesnt  mind murky waters. Also Pla Tapian, Jaramet and Silver barb with  a few  giant catfish (Mekong) for interest.

Maybe the local  fish  food  supply shop could help you?

I go to a place called coffee de candle in CM they have a very large pond with 1000s of fish I don't have clear pics but the irrigation is done by paddle wheels on an electric motor and very effective look on their FB page also not clear but may give you an idea ???? 

32 minutes ago, essox essox said:

so why not do what I said in my comment???

Putting this thread out there is exactly what I am doing. Like I said hoping an experienced fish farmer in Thailand would give me some feed back. As far as talking to other Thai fish farmers? They will not give you any info for free if you do not know them. Suppliers? Most when emailed 80% will not return the email or have no idea about the product that they sale, they just sale it.

An example: I went into a shop that sold epoxy for concrete. He gave me a flyer of his products. I had a look and asked how much. He said he did not sale the small pales only the big ones. "OK how much for the big one"? He ran back to his office for 10 min and came out with the answer  I don't know call me tomorrow.

I could go on with at least 50 more stories like that one. If I can avoid it I will. That's why I am here look for advise from experienced farmers. Thanks for your advise but its not what I am looking for

32 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

I go to a place called coffee de candle in CM they have a very large pond with 1000s of fish I don't have clear pics but the irrigation is done by paddle wheels on an electric motor and very effective look on their FB page also not clear but may give you an idea ???? 

Thanks for the info but I am staying clear of any paddle wheels. They are not the type of aeration I am looking for. I will use a blower and blow through aeration hoses from the bottom of the pond.

12 minutes ago, chilidog said:

Putting this thread out there is exactly what I am doing. Like I said hoping an experienced fish farmer in Thailand would give me some feed back. As far as talking to other Thai fish farmers? They will not give you any info for free if you do not know them. Suppliers? Most when emailed 80% will not return the email or have no idea about the product that they sale, they just sale it.

An example: I went into a shop that sold epoxy for concrete. He gave me a flyer of his products. I had a look and asked how much. He said he did not sale the small pales only the big ones. "OK how much for the big one"? He ran back to his office for 10 min and came out with the answer  I don't know call me tomorrow.

I could go on with at least 50 more stories like that one. If I can avoid it I will. That's why I am here look for advise from experienced farmers. Thanks for your advise but its not what I am looking for

typical thailand !! like i said many on here will not be able to give you advice and as I said try asking other fish farmers they SHOULD KNOW ....

I have a couple of ponds of that dimension, and I do not aerate them. However, I have fresh water inflow from springs that compensate for the lack of aeration.  Two ways to improve the amount of DO in your water are to pump air or to create current or circulation. Water in motion has much higher DO than stagnant water, plus it increases the amount areas that have DO, so there are no dead spots where the fish cannot stay.

If you get an air pump, try to get the smallest bubbles you can, as this increases the efficiency of the O2 transfer. 500 Bla nin will probably survive without aeration in a pond of that size, but they will eat less and take longer to reach 1kg. Also, make sure that you get monosex fish, or you will end up with thousands of undersized fish and no big ones.

Another option that works well, is a fountain, it pulls water from the dead areas and oxygenates it and creates some current as well.

20 minutes ago, essox essox said:

typical thailand !! like i said many on here will not be able to give you advice and as I said try asking other fish farmers they SHOULD KNOW ....

Yes the good old typical Thailand. I pretty sure you are a person who thinks they know everything. Its apparent in your first post when you don't know the answer and you still post. If you you read what I wrote in my second post to you I said that's the reason for the thread is to talk with other farmers. Yes they should know so why you need to keep replying and telling me the same thing?

Are you sure your not skankhunt42?

21 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I have a couple of ponds of that dimension, and I do not aerate them. However, I have fresh water inflow from springs that compensate for the lack of aeration.  Two ways to improve the amount of DO in your water are to pump air or to create current or circulation. Water in motion has much higher DO than stagnant water, plus it increases the amount areas that have DO, so there are no dead spots where the fish cannot stay.

If you get an air pump, try to get the smallest bubbles you can, as this increases the efficiency of the O2 transfer. 500 Bla nin will probably survive without aeration in a pond of that size, but they will eat less and take longer to reach 1kg. Also, make sure that you get monosex fish, or you will end up with thousands of undersized fish and no big ones.

Another option that works well, is a fountain, it pulls water from the dead areas and oxygenates it and creates some current as well.

Thanks for the response canuckamuck. I realize I don't need aeration for 400 plan nin in 20x20 but I was wander what might be the typical cfm per day if I was to add aeration as I want to maybe poly culture fish and crustaceans.

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

Although I  dont farm them I  have a  large 1  rai  lake  5-6metres  deep and I threw  in a  few  hundred Pla  Nin and feed  them twice a  day with no aeration. They are +45 cm in 2-3  years already This fish doesnt  mind murky waters. Also Pla Tapian, Jaramet and Silver barb with  a few  giant catfish (Mekong) for interest.

Maybe the local  fish  food  supply shop could help you?

I have 8 ponds. one is what we call the junk pond. Just about anything gets chucked into it. No 2 is fast growing talapia* (pla nin). No 3 and No 4 are the same as 2. Number 5 is my daughter's pond. "We call it the beautiful pond". Full of koi carp, grass carp and mekongs up to 1.5 metres long. No 6 is a pond with cages where I grow water lettice and water hyacinth and anything else. of use, that I can get hold of. No 7 is going to be pangasus catfish (not bought them yet). No 8 is used for irrigating our palm trees.

I had a problem some years ago with the pla nin dying in one pond. I put in plenty of salt and that seemed to solve the prob'.

There is no leccy at our farm so, in that situation, the farmer has to especially pay attention to water quality. With no way of delivering aeration, through the leccy, it is important not to have too many fish in the pond. Other factors too.

* I grew pla nin to a big size in 18 months. The biggest of which went 2.85 kg. Pics available.

19 minutes ago, chilidog said:

Thanks for the response canuckamuck. I realize I don't need aeration for 400 plan nin in 20x20 but I was wander what might be the typical cfm per day if I was to add aeration as I want to maybe poly culture fish and crustaceans.

As I said I don't aerate, so I do not have any stats, but obviously, the more DO the better. The better your water quality, the more your fish will eat, and I use that as a gauge. Unless your fish population is low, fish get lazy when they don't compete.

Sorry I have no numbers for you.

• 5 months later...

I wanted to share an update on what I learned and ended up doing about my aeration questions. I ended up installing an .8KW (1HP) ring blower. It is connected to a 2" pipe that is running to 2  20x20 ponds and I have 6 air defuser in each pond and the ponds are lined with plastic. I will experiment with stocking densities of pla duk and crayfish mono-culture. It might sound a bit too much air but I have my reasons to set it up this way. With the amount of air the blower puts out I could have 10 normal 20x20 ponds the same size and keep the DO at a good level.

Yes the pump will be running 24/7. For what i am trying to accomplish it will need to be. I have'nt had it running a month just yet but my guess is it will cost around 1,700baht a month. It should use 19KW a day and my solar panels make 15KW to 26KW a day. I plan on installing one more blower the same size for 2 more ponds.

Archived