Thailand Travel Shield: TAT offers travel insurance for foreign tourists

rooster59

Thailand Travel Shield: TAT offers travel insurance for foreign tourists

1554297543742.PNG

A new travel insurance scheme aimed at FIT tourists (Free Independent Travelers) has been announced by the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

TNAMCOT said the "Thailand Travel Shield" scheme would be a boon to adventurous travelers.

“Tourism Authority of Thailand has cooperated with top non-life insurers ; Muang Thai Insurance, Krungthai Panich Insurance and Southeast Insurance gladly to offer “special travel insurance exclusively for foreign tourists”, the Thailand Travel Shield website reads.

Premiums range from 400 to 1,000 baht and cover tourists for up to 60 days. The insurance must be purchased online before the tourist travels to Thailand.

There is a five million baht in cover in the event of death, credit card cover, late arrival of bag cover and third party cover. 

Last week, the TAT were praising the scheme as they signed an agreement with three insurance companies - Muang Thai, Krung Thai and South East Insurance (known as 'Aknay' Prakan Phai in Thai).

Chief of the TAT Yuthasak Suphasorn intimated that the new scheme would warm the hearts of foreign tourists. 

According to its website, which is available in English and Chinese, the Thailand Travel Shield is not available to foreigners who live permanently in Thailand. 

The news comes after Thai officials last month revealed that uninsured foreigners in Thailand failed to pay a combined total of THB 300 million in medical bills after receiving treatment in state hospitals.

The problem, which officials say mostly affects “tourist cities” promoted the Health Service Support Department to announce the launch of new claim centres which would help officials track down foreigners who had not paid medical bills.

A public-health official who spoke to The Nation on the condition of anonymity said foreigners often run out of cash during long stays in Thailand. “And when they need medical services, they simply don’t pay.”

In some cases, the official said, foreigners have been hospitalised for months without paying a single baht. 

RELATED: Thaivisa Health Protect: Medical insurance for expats

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-07

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand Travel Shield is not available to foreigners who live permanently in Thailand

Shame. I suspect a chunk of those unpaid bills came from permanent residents, so offering them affordable cover too would solve all manner of ills at the same time.

As it has to be purchased online before people travel, one wonders how they are going to promote it to people on the other side of the world. A website full of poor English and spelling mistakes is hardly likely to generate confidence in potential purchasers.

12 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I suspect a chunk of those unpaid bills came from permanent residents, so offering them affordable cover too would solve all manner of ills at the same time.

that would have to be a government run scheme offering access to public hospitals, it could be organised through 12 month extension applications for a small extra fee - it would have to be optional as some people prefer to cover themselves

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

A public-health official who spoke to The Nation on the condition of anonymity said foreigners often run out of cash during long stays in Thailand. “And when they need medical services, they simply don’t pay.”

The alien criminal in action!

Personally I feel it's criminal for private hospitals to charge retiries exorbitant fees. 

Ok so lets  scale this up for expats..... 60  days  let's  say 1000 baht top price 1  year 360 odd  days divide by 60 = 6 x 1000 =  annual  cover for 6000 baht for expats, ok so you can do it for 60  days so why not a year for 6k?

There is a five million baht in cover in the event of death, credit card cover, late arrival of bag cover and third party cover.

Sounds useless to me. What about cover for hospital visits after an accident?

Claims for death must be made in person...

50 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Sounds useless to me. What about cover for hospital visits after an accident?

No need... They cover a one way cab fare from the hospital to nearest international airport on the day of release... :coffee1:

1 hour ago, 300sd said:

Personally I feel it's criminal for private hospitals to charge retiries exorbitant fees. 

I’ve found one hospital in Chiangmai that has never tried to rip me off and has been very cheap whenever I’ve been there, but I’ve never been for anything serious only small accidents and injuries Chiang Puak hospital near the small bus station. Always very reasonable prices friendly staff and never waited long time.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Chief of the TAT Yuthasak Suphasorn intimated that the new scheme would warm the hearts of foreign tourists. 

How can this possibly "warm" anybody's heart as no details have been released as to what is and what is not covered, especially persons who cannot get health/travel insurance due to age and/or pre-existing conditions.

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

God help you if you're over 70 - "Person age between 1-70 years is insurable"

Could you please explain where this quotation is from because after reading the article four times I have not found it.  Do I need to purchase new reading glasses before my next visit to the "Big Mango?"  Maybe, just maybe I should purchase this insurance policy next time I go to Thailand, which may be near the end of this year.  The article itself appears to be more concerned with people who do not have sufficient funds or those who skip the country before paying their medical bill(s). 

'nuf sed.

Thai officials last month revealed that uninsured foreigners in Thailand failed to pay a combined total of THB 300 million in medical bills

So why, oh why, does this fabulous new scheme NOT include health insurance coverage? In fact, has anyone ever seen a travel insurance package worth its salt that does NOT comprise medical costs? 

51 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Claims for death must be made in person...

You forgot to add, "...in triplicate".

"...late arrival of bag cover".  Not completely understanding this comment, does it mean that if I die and my body bag, gasket or cremation vase does not arrive before my burial or cremation then my representative in Thailand will receive a payment of some kind because my insurance failed to comply with the contract?  Just asking.

'nuf sed 

2 hours ago, justin case said:

// nothing for the expats here living here and not finding an affordable insurance due to age ?

This scheme is for Tourist.

If you are an expat, looks at schemes like the one for Non O-X

28 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

So why, oh why, does this fabulous new scheme NOT include health insurance coverage?  //

Uh?

And what is "Medical expenses from accident and sickness" if not an health insurance ?

2 hours ago, 300sd said:

You think Thailand is the only place this happens.

If you want to go to ANY private hospital you will pay far greater fees than the local public hospital

If you don't want the inflated bill use a government hospital

"Can foreigner who permanently resides in Thailand purchase this insurance?

Foreigner with permanent residency in Thailand is not eligible to purchase this insurance and the coverage will be voidable."

So resident aliens cannot purchase it.  Too bad, the rates are fairly reasonable.

Archived