Thailand Travel Shield: TAT offers travel insurance for foreign tourists

rooster59

3 hours ago, z42 said:

Would be interesting to see how the small print stacks up. But this looks to be a decent incentive (on paper at least)

Agree.

"There is a five million baht in cover in the event of death, credit card cover, late arrival of bag cover and third party cover. "

It mentions death but doesn't mention medical bills for sickness and/or accident, also medevac not mentioned. Perhaps this is an oversight on the part of the person who wrote the original, I hope so.  Wait and see. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine if you are in an emergency and need medical care. You call them up and explain that you are sick and need to see a doctor. The Thai guy on the phone: “hey, why you sick? You see doctor already? Ok good luck thank you bye bye”... and of my first glance at the website just gives me the perceived thought how cheap they are if they couldn’t invest in a more professional look, and they are supposed to cover for my medical bills? Yeah right, this scheme has been setup to just cover for their previous losses. Don’t fall into this garbage. 

22 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

"Can foreigner who permanently resides in Thailand purchase this insurance?

Foreigner with permanent residency in Thailand is not eligible to purchase this insurance and the coverage will be voidable."

So resident aliens cannot purchase it.  Too bad, the rates are fairly reasonable.

They say "Foreigner with permanent residency" are not eligable. How many percent of foreigners who stay long term in Thailand are permanent residents? Probably less than 1%

Having to leave the country every 60 days to renew the insurance is of course kind of inconvenient, maybe people who stay in Thailand using a multiple-o visa and have to leave every 90 days anyway might choose to do this every 60 days if they like this insurance.

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

They say "Foreigner with permanent residency" are not eligable. How many percent of foreigners who stay long term in Thailand are permanent residents? Probably less than 1%

Having to leave the country every 60 days to renew the insurance is of course kind of inconvenient, maybe people who stay in Thailand using a multiple-o visa and have to leave every 90 days anyway might choose to do this every 60 days if they like this insurance.

Don't even think about it. You won't be covered.

Permanent residency is almost certainly just a translation issue and would refer to anyone that lives pemanently in Thailand.

Also, I have just taken a look at the coverage offered for the premium charged and it is more expensive than buying a policy with a reputable UK insurer (with medical limits up to £10m)

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Ok so lets  scale this up for expats..... 60  days  let's  say 1000 baht top price 1  year 360 odd  days divide by 60 = 6 x 1000 =  annual  cover for 6000 baht for expats, ok so you can do it for 60  days so why not a year for 6k?

I think we can all agree 6,000 baht a year would be a fair and proper rate for all expats in Thailand to pay for a full year of medical coverage.....This could be a test for a 6,000 baht a year roll-out to all expats.....

So it's actually no different to any other travel insurance product then!
Yes, a pointless product really as tourists can buy travel insurance in their own countries before they leave, I've just bought 3 months for £60

If a decent expat product was made available for say govt hospitals only at a reasonable price then it would be a good product

Sounds like a great deal to me , for foreigners trying to travel to Thailand without an insurance.

But for this to work, it must be paid at the airport, when they arrive.  Just like  an extra fee , that covers up to 60 days insurance. 

No..make it compulsary..think it would be better

that would have to be a government run scheme offering access to public hospitals, it could be organised through 12 month extension applications for a small extra fee - it would have to be optional as some people prefer to cover themselves

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Perhaps 20,000 baht annually for expats on marriage/retirement extensions..covering both IN AND OUT PATIENT TREATMENT.
cheers

I think we can all agree 6,000 baht a year would be a fair and proper rate for all expats in Thailand to pay for a full year of medical coverage.....This could be a test for a 6,000 baht a year roll-out to all expats.....

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

35 minutes ago, balo said:

Sounds like a great deal to me , for foreigners trying to travel to Thailand without an insurance. But for this to work, it must be paid at the airport, when they arrive.  Just like  an extra fee , that covers up to 60 days insurance. 

And those older than 70, excluded under this policy? Just shoot them?

14 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

If they are excluded they should never travel to Thailand in the first place without an insurance or money enough to pay for hospital bills. 

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

certainly not more than 10k, it has to be measured against what exactly you'd be getting - public hospitals are far from private - you are looking at the most basic of care 

19 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

A proactive euthanasia  policy for the crumblies - a world first!

I can see the TAT slogan now: Arrive in a seat, return in a coffin.

6 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Ok so lets  scale this up for expats..... 60  days  let's  say 1000 baht top price 1  year 360 odd  days divide by 60 = 6 x 1000 =  annual  cover for 6000 baht for expats, ok so you can do it for 60  days so why not a year for 6k?

There is no 60 days of insurance for 1000 baht here. The competitive plan for 2M coverage and 60 days costs 3150 baht (1750 for 1M coverage).

There is however an annual option at 12,000 baht (with border runs required every 60 days) which is 1000 per month still available up to 70 years old. That looks too good to be true and I suspect there is a horrible range of exceptions and restrictions.

Unfortunately the site creators didn't bother to show us insurance details and exceptions. e.g. how about having a motorcycle accident?

http://thailandtravelshield.tourismthailand.org/

Any insurance advertisement/web site without displaying/providing links to policy exceptions and limitations should be considered as **.

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The news comes after Thai officials last month revealed that uninsured foreigners in Thailand failed to pay a combined total of THB 300 million in medical bills after receiving treatment in state hospitals.

After THAIS forced 95+‰ of these foreigners into accidents and injuries due to Thais gross incompetence and arrogance and lack of any safety culture. 

6 hours ago, monkeycu said:

You think Thailand is the only place this happens.

If you want to go to ANY private hospital you will pay far greater fees than the local public hospital

If you don't want the inflated bill use a government hospital

I wasn't speaking about public hospitals or other countries, I live here. Of course you pay greater fees at private hospitals, but they don't all screw you!

There are some private hospitals in Thailand that don't overcharge foreigners, but in my opinion there are many that do.

4 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

After THAIS forced 95+‰ of these foreigners into accidents and injuries due to Thais gross incompetence and arrogance and lack of any safety culture. 

Sure... When I think about these several recent accidents of young farangs crashing on big bikes they are not authorised to drive and have no experience with...  of course these are Thais forcing these accident... :whistling:

10 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Sure... When I think about these several recent accidents of young farangs crashing on big bikes they are not authorised to drive and have no experience with...  of course these are Thais forcing these accident... :whistling:

Your words: "not authorised to drive" 

If they are not authorised, who is authorizing them? Or, are they stealing the big bikes? 

I'm glad you agree with me. 

10 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

If they are not authorised, who is authorizing them? Or, are they stealing the big bikes? I'm glad you agree with me. 

I don't. Look the last one who crashed in Phuket. Too young to drive a big bike. His *farang* friend rented the bike for him...

11 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I don't. Look the last one who crashed in Phuket. Too young to drive a big bike. His *farang* friend rented the bike for him...

So, you recommend I look at a SINGLE ANECDOTE, and then make some generalizations based on it?

And, I assume you would like me to ignore the fact that Thai roads are consistently ranked among the most dangerous on earth? 

9 hours ago, 300sd said:

The alien criminal in action!

Personally I feel it's criminal for private hospitals to charge retiries exorbitant fees. 

I regularly read posts similar to yours regarding the fees charged by private hospitals yet never see suggestions as to what the fees should be.

What needs to be understood is that private hospitals are as the name suggests private businesses, they are not government owned or operated and receive no funding from the government

As such everything they provide has to be paid for and is funded by the owners/ shareholders, have a look at the state of the art equipment they provide it doesn’t just materialize out of thin air, the staffing levels, the rooms etc etc.

You cannot expect to compare private hospitals with government run hospitals here, in the UK, Australia or anywhere else in the world.

If you want free or subsidized treatment you need to go to a country that provides it, we are not Thai so it’s not going to happen here.

9 hours ago, 300sd said:

The alien criminal in action!

Personally I feel it's criminal for private hospitals to charge retiries exorbitant fees. 

I don't know where you come from but in my home country you also pay premium in a private hospital.

No discount for a retiree without insurance.

3 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

How about "Thailand - a great place to die"?

Why go back in a box go the whole hog and be cremated here, according to my wife, about 2000 baht for a coffin and the same to be cremated at the hospital.

Sounds a bargain to me.

1 minute ago, Letseng said:

I don't know where you come from but in my home country you also pay premium in a private hospital.

No discount for a retiree without insurance.

The last operation I had in a private hospital in Aus was about 7 years ago one overnight stay and even with top hospital cover and subsidy from Medicare I was about 3000 dollars out of pocket.

Archived