Thai Elite Visa & Legally Owning a Car

I am for various reasons seriously considering getting a 20 year Thai Elite Visa this year for 1000000 THB and I have been asking a number of questions to Thailand Elite Head Office before I make my decision.

One of the many questions I have asked is listed below relating to car ownership :

NEW QUESTION - 5

With a Thai Elite Visa can I legally buy a Car in Thailand (I do have a Yellow House Book and a Thai Foreigners Type ID Card)?

-          Register a car you’ve purchased in your own name is not possible on Elite Visa according to law. 

To all the people that have obtained Thai Elite Visa's just wondering how you have managed with not being able to legally own a car with a Thai Elite Visa?

I have already determined that you can only get a 2 year Driving Licence renewal instead of the 5 year that I have now, however this is no problem for me.

Many thanks in advance for any information.

This is wrong. I have a 5 year Thailand Elite visa and I have purchased a car and a big bike. Got green book for the bike and blue for the car. Both in my name. Was no problem.

Regarding the driver license I have heard the same, but also that people still get the 5 year license. Mine are still on the first period of 2 years.

I not know the law, but why you think you are not allowed to own a car in Thailand on a Elite Visa?

When I register my car, I think they not even looked at my passport, as I used the Yellow House book to register, so therefore they not even know my visa status!

OP, it would come down to your local DLT (most dont care less about immigration status) and whether you are doing licence/car ownership using English script name and passport or Thai script name and yellow book/ID card. If you are using Thai name and yellow book then immigration status would probably be less of an issue. I have done both licenses and 3-4 vehicles and cant recall ever needing to show immigration status.

Your visa status does not directly affect car ownership.

The DLT will want proof of address, but getting proof of address from immigration can be problematic for visitors that do not have permits to stay issued by immigration. The DLT usually accept address certification from embassies and Amphoes.

12 minutes ago, BMW Overlander said:

So 20 years TE visa is 1,000,000 now instead of 2,000,000?

It clearly states on their website it is 2 mil. What am I missing here?

screen.jpg

They offer the same deal without all the bells and whistles for THB1 million.  It's called "Elite Superiority Extension" -- see https://www.thailandelite-direct.com/program-overview

On 4/7/2019 at 9:14 AM, vibration said:

Register a car you’ve purchased in your own name is not possible on Elite Visa according to law. 

I have purchased and registered several motorbikes here in Thailand while on tourist visas. You just need to get a certificate of residence from your immigration office. 300 baht in Jomtien. Not sure what the guy who replied to you was talking about. Maybe the fact you need a residence certificate and you could not purchase a car with just your Elite Visa. 

To my knowledge and experience you need a proof of address to register a car – and obtain a Thai driver's license also – which you normally can have from the local Immigration office in a letter, for a fee of around 500 baht (can vary from different Immigration offices).

If you are registered in a Yellow House Book (for aliens), you can use that as proof of address.

First time – or twice, rules might have changed – you can only have a 2-year Thai driver's license, thereafter its issued for 5-year periods.

This is categorically misinformation.

I am an original TE visa holder. I am on my 4th 5 year visa.  Have bought/sold 8 cars, 2 Vespa's and a buffalo or two.

My Visa is termed for life and transferable.

I am actually selling my Visa as now I'm in retirement visa zone.

Please personal messenger me if any interest.  We can meet on Sathorn, at their office and they can verify the visa is for life and transferable.

5 hours ago, looking for LIFE insurance said:

This is categorically misinformation.

I am an original TE visa holder. I am on my 4th 5 year visa.  Have bought/sold 8 cars, 2 Vespa's and a buffalo or two.

My Visa is termed for life and transferable.

I am actually selling my Visa as now I'm in retirement visa zone.

Please personal messenger me if any interest.  We can meet on Sathorn, at their office and they can verify the visa is for life and transferable.

Give you 1000 baht for it. 

Cash money.

Archived