Expat health insurance in Chiang Mai

Ravi98008

I need the Forum members advise regarding Cnx health insurance in Chiang Mai. I am 65-66 planning to buy health insurance from Cnx representative. He says a company in London sells catastrophic health insurance for a little over 1000 dollars. With a very very high deductible of less than 2000 dollars. Basically he says suddenly I have a heart attack it will cover all the costs. Or a stroke Etc.  Any thing like cancer I can go to America and use my medicare.  Cnx insurance has 20% discount for Chiang Mai expat club members, and the 1100 dollars per year includes the discount.  I spent lots of time on the forum trying to find posts recommending expat health insurance, and found none.  Can I please get some help by steering me in a right direction.

Moved to the insurance forum.

CNX is a broker. Not an insurance company.

You need to specify what the insurance company is that you are considering getting. Name of the company, name of the policy.

And get and read the policy documents before making a decision.

As far as I know it is impossible for someone your age to get health insurance for under 1,000 USD a year. Even with a high deductible it will cost at least twice that.

There have been innumerable threads about various expat policies. See:

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Moved to the insurance forum.

CNX is a broker. Not an insurance company.

You need to specify what the insurance company is that you are considering getting. Name of the company, name of the policy.

And get and read the policy documents before making a decision.

As far as I know it is impossible for someone your age to get health insurance for under 1,000 USD a year. Even with a high deductible it will cost at least twice that.

There have been innumerable threads about various expat policies. See:

Hi Sheryl, the name of the insurance company is Health care International from UK.  I don't have the policy details because I am seeking the help from the Forum before I buy the plan. I will not hold you responsible but would you suggest that I don't buy any insurance here and pay from my pocket in case I get a heart attack, get myself OKAY to fly and seek the rest of the treatment in USA.  So if I set aside 4000 dollars will that cover the ambulance and hospital treatment till I get ok to fly.  The scenario will be a mild heart attack and not a massive one. I am just trying to be hypothetical here. Finally if 4000 is not enough then what would be the correct amount to set aside. If it costs more than 3 to 4000 dollars I think I will just buy what the Health care International is offering or what ever the forum recommends.  Wondering what other American over 69 are taking care of their insurance needs in Chiang Mai, any ideas. Thank you

Just to note that even if eligible for USA Medicare, that's not quite without incurring further mandatory or even continuing optional cost...

https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sheets/2019-medicare-parts-b-premiums-and-deductibles

"Medicare Part A covers inpatient hospital, skilled nursing facility, and some home health care services...

The Medicare Part A inpatient hospital deductible that beneficiaries will pay when admitted to the hospital will be $1,364...Part A...deductible covers beneficiaries’ share of costs for the first 60 days of Medicare-covered inpatient hospital care in a benefit period. In 2019, beneficiaries must pay a coinsurance amount of $341 per day for the 61st through 90th day of a hospitalization ($335 in 2018) in a benefit period and $682 per day for lifetime reserve days ($670 in 2018). For beneficiaries in skilled nursing facilities, the daily coinsurance for days 21 through 100 of extended care services in a benefit period will be $170.50 in 2019 ($167.50 in 2018)."

Then there's Part B...

"Medicare Part B covers physician services, outpatient hospital services, certain home health services, durable medical equipment, and certain other medical and health services not covered by Medicare Part A.  

The standard monthly premium for Medicare Part B enrollees will be $135.50 (for incomes less than $85k) for 2019,"

Also I think but have to double check that to pay that premium currently you should have been paying for Part B since becoming eligible at 65. I don't know if there's a different cost if you opt in later. Again, not quite yet sure how that works. I'm budgeting for it from when I become age-eligible but will study more as I close in on that.

My understanding is the most fiscally conservative way would be paying into Part B from age 65 even if out of country and then also buying into a supplemental plan to cover the deductibles through a group like AARP when repatriating in older years. I'd imagine emergency care (meaning rushing into a country for care--not an in-country emergency) not covered by supplemental but that would be why best to have at least Part B already in place.

• 5 months later...

Old fart from US here--you cannot win and should carry credit card in range of 10 000$. If you manage buy US Advantage plan some of them include emergency treatment.

Some of plans you can buy for a 1000$ a month.

I normally pay with credit card.

8 hours ago, olfu said:

Old fart from US here--you cannot win and should carry credit card in range of 10 000$. If you manage buy US Advantage plan some of them include emergency treatment.

Some of plans you can buy for a 1000$ a month.

I normally pay with credit card.

Just for info.   As opposed to what some believe Medicare does not cover you if you live outside the US.  Even in an emergency.

I know several guys who believe they are covered and they are not.

So, good luck to them with the Gofundme requests. 

Archived