Nakon Si Tammarat

martaway

Hi

Welcome to Nakhon!

There are about 150 farang in town. 70-80 teachers, plus others. To meet up with the other farangs go to Rock 99 at Bovorn Plaza on Rajadamnern Road. Plenty there Fri. and Sat. nights.

Where are you going to be based? Teaching?

Sean

Hi

Welcome to Nakhon!

There are about 150 farang in town. 70-80 teachers, plus others. To meet up with the other farangs go to Rock 99 at Bovorn Plaza on Rajadamnern Road. Plenty there Fri. and Sat. nights.

Where are you going to be based? Teaching?

Sean

Hi Sean

Thanks for the info.

I am planning on retiring rather than working.Although I may try my hand at teaching English to help the local school.

We are currently on Samui and are planning on moving in a year or so.

Where exactly are you ?

Do you teach ?

Regards, Martin

martaway Posted 2007-03-05 16:44:08

Hi Sean

Thanks for the info.

I am planning on retiring rather than working.Although I may try my hand at teaching English to help the local school.

Where exactly are you ?

Do you teach ?

Regards, Martin

I live just outside of Nakhon town. I have been teaching science at a local high school for the past five years.

If you are planning to teach at a small rural school on a volunteer bassis, I think you might be in for a shock. Many Thai English teachers do not take kindly to foreigners comming in and teaching. There are quite a few schools who hire foreigners to teach English and other subjects, they are full time positions but with lots of time off. Might think of doing that to keep yourself occupied. I know of one or two others in the same situation.

Where in Nakhon do you intend to move?

Sean

Hello

I am moving to the Nakon Sri Thammarat area (Pak Panang) around July. I am currently teaching at an International School in Bangkok, I would be moving to focus on study, but would like some part time work? If it was available.

I would also be interested in any information you could provide on cost of houses/ purchasing motobikes/car??

Any help would be appreaciated!

A :o

martaway Posted 2007-03-05 16:44:08

Hi Sean

Thanks for the info.

Where exactly are you ?

Do you teach ?

Regards, Martin

I live just outside of Nakhon town. I have been teaching science at a local high school for the past five years.

If you are planning to teach at a small rural school on a volunteer bassis, I think you might be in for a shock. Many Thai English teachers do not take kindly to foreigners comming in and teaching. There are quite a few schools who hire foreigners to teach English and other subjects, they are full time positions but with lots of time off. Might think of doing that to keep yourself occupied. I know of one or two others in the same situation.

Where in Nakhon do you intend to move?

Sean

Hi

I will be living about 10km from the town.

I think they call it Po Sadet ?

Do you need proper teaching qualifications to teach ?

Where are you living ?

VTR1000 Posted Yesterday, 2007-03-13 06:33:31

Nakhonsithammarat is a dump!! Baghdad is nicer.

whistling.gif

You old fart, why have you been here so many years if its a dump? :o

I know you like it my friend :D

martaway Posted Yesterday, 2007-03-13 18:53:48

Hi

I will be living about 10km from the town.

I think they call it Po Sadet ?

Do you need proper teaching qualifications to teach ?

Where are you living ?

Po Sadet is only just out of town, my school is there. I live on a moo-baan about the same distance the other side of town (East) towards Paak Nakhon.

As for teaching, you generally need a degree in any subject (need not be in education). Though many teachers get jobs with only a tefl cert..

I will be arriving in Thailand in 2 weeks with a view to teach English. Nakorn Sri Thammarat is my favoured destination. I have a degree from the University of Sydney and a CELTA from International House in Sydney. I have enquired about several positions by e-mail, but have yet to receive any replies. Is it normal for schools to show no interest when applicants are outsideThailand? Will they show more interest when the enquiries come from within the country? Also, do you have to go to Bangkok to apply for the Teacher's License and Work Permit, or can it be done at one of the major centres in the South?

Logarhythm Posted Today, 2007-03-17 11:28:44

I will be arriving in Thailand in 2 weeks with a view to teach English. Nakorn Sri Thammarat is my favoured destination. I have a degree from the University of Sydney and a CELTA from International House in Sydney. I have enquired about several positions by e-mail, but have yet to receive any replies. Is it normal for schools to show no interest when applicants are outsideThailand? Will they show more interest when the enquiries come from within the country? Also, do you have to go to Bangkok to apply for the Teacher's License and Work Permit, or can it be done at one of the major centres in the South?

It does help if you are here. We generally try to find people who are already in Thailand and have been teaching here for a few years. Stability is of great importance. Teacher's licences seem to be on hold at the min. of ed.! They have told our school to forget about them for now. Work permit should be organised by the school.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to rent a house...

- within a short walking distance to the main roads between Say Man Meuang School and Benjamarachutit School (want sawng-taew accessibilty).

- minimum 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.

- screen-enclosed (hate mosquitos)

- enclosed kitchen area

- security iron (windows, doors)

- electrical capacity for many appliances, hi-tech.

Wish-List: a/c; pumped water; 4,000 baht/month;

no security deposit; secure car-park.