US lawyers in Bangkok: Big Joke transfer won't change immigration policy for retirees one bit

webfact

US lawyers in Bangkok: Big Joke transfer won't change immigration policy for retirees one bit

vs.jpg

video screenshot

A leading firm of US attorneys in Bangkok has reacted to the news of the surprising transfer of head of Thai Immigration Lt-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn.

A lawyer has poured cold water on suggestions that the chief's transfer would mean a better deal for foreigners and retirees seeking visas and extensions. 

In a three minute YouTube video the managing director of Integrity Legal based in Silom Road, Bangkok, said that changes to income affidavits would not be rescinded just because the chief has been transferred.

Benjamin W. Hart called this "immutable" and fully expected current changes from the US, UK and Australian embassies to stay in place. He stressed that according to him there was "no possibility of this changing" just because of "the transfer of this officer".

Mr Hart called Lt-Gen Surachate the "face of immigration policy enforcement" but also saw no reason for changes to the rules that state 800,000 baht must be deposited in a bank for two months prior and three months after a visa is issued.

"I don't think it is logical to assume that the transfer will change these regulations," he said. 

Though he conceded that these opinions did not preclude possible changes in policy. 

He said:

"We don't know exactly what's going on and how this will impact things. (But) while I think there may be changes within the immigration apparatus especially on a paradigm level and maybe policy level (in the future) some things in respect to retirement visa police remain immutable (unchanging)". 

Those are the affidavit situation and the financial requirements.

The comments came as many posters on Thaivisa forum and other online platforms reacted over the weekend to the chief's sudden transfer to an inactive post. Many expected, and hoped, that the change at the top would mean a better situation for retirees and visa extensions in general. 

Royal Thai Police chief Gen Chakthip Chaijinda ordered the transfer of Big Joke on Friday. 

Rumors have been flying about as to the reason but as yet there has been no official confirmation. 

Surachate has been described as the poster boy of the Thai police and his image and presence was everywhere. Now his online presence has been taken down amid intense speculation about his future. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-08

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, webfact said:

"I don't think it is logical to assume that the transfer will change these regulations," he said. 

Logic does not apply to anything over there.  One immigration official says one thing, others do another thing.  One person's policy varies from administration to administration, from coup to coup.

The whole 800k baht thing makes little sense.  What was the original intent from years back?  Was it meant as an emergency draw down?  Was it expected by the Thais to ever be touched?  Was it expected to be drawn down frequently and used to show one actually spent that money in Thailand?  The income affidavit method was workable, but granted no doubt abused my many, or some.  I don't know the percentages.  The current affidavit method of showing frequent transfers is just baloney and proves nothing about sustainable income, reasonably reliable future income, etc.

This “lawyer” posted often on YouTube.  In short he rehashes the news and reminds viewers he can offer legal services.  Nothing new and nothing insightful.  If I ever need a lawyer I would not call this guy. On the otherhand I don’t see any major changes coming.  

We don't know exactly what's going on and how this will impact things. 

Then why the hell are you wasting our time?  This op-ed reads like some bunk from the New York Times or Washington post concerning the Presodent's imminent arrest because he is a Russian operative... ????

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Surachate has been described as the poster boy of the Thai police

This is factually correct - in every public appearance he made, he was standing next to a poster of himself. 

It's a joke anyway. At least for Pattaya area as i recently after March had to renew my retirement visa & did it the legit way which is quite an effort & almost a day event by the time you get the bank document than wait the hours at Jomtien.  Not to mention now need to front to Jomtien again in June to show i still have the money in my bank whilst i have friends who spend an extra 10k with business as usual. Money goes in & out of their account than collect their passport a few days later from the agent with no need to front Jomtien a few months later to prove the money again .How The F does that work out without starting with a capital C . I;m thinking next year i might save all the headache & just do it the easy way myself.

By the way i would be interested to know if i were out of the country & couldn't get to Jomtien on the date in June to show them my 800k plus is still in the bank what would happen

Why did this lawyer get a full page write up on his opinion?

When has a private lawyer ever gotten a full page write up on Thai Visa? No one has ever that I remember.......

Who decided his opinion needs to be punished?

And Why?

Folks this article would not have been published if there were serious cracks appearing in the kick the farang out of Thailand movement......Some hardliner is scared or this propaganda would not have been published....

Just about every thing Mr lawyer said will not happen could very well happen.....

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

This is factually correct - in every public appearance he made, he was standing next to a poster of himself. 

This Darts Bar raid in Pattaya could be one of the last poster pin ups of Big Joke Lt-Gen Surachate and could well be a collector's item for anyone fortunate enough to get hold of it.

He is looking very pensive so maybe he has some premonition of impending doom.

Big Joke Darts Bar.jpg

After thirty nine years associated with Thailand , expats have been treated very poorly in my mind and without any recourse , a very good example to always remember to have a back -up plan in place and never cut ties with your place of origin 

1 hour ago, whatwasithinking said:

It's a joke anyway. At least for Pattaya area as i recently after March had to renew my retirement visa & did it the legit way which is quite an effort & almost a day event by the time you get the bank document than wait the hours at Jomtien.  Not to mention now need to front to Jomtien again in June to show i still have the money in my bank whilst i have friends who spend an extra 10k with business as usual. Money goes in & out of their account than collect their passport a few days later from the agent with no need to front Jomtien a few months later to prove the money again .How The F does that work out without starting with a capital C . I;m thinking next year i might save all the headache & just do it the easy way myself.

By the way i would be interested to know if i were out of the country & couldn't get to Jomtien on the date in June to show them my 800k plus is still in the bank what would happen

You’re retired. Don’t face enough time on your hands to spare a few ours 4 times a year? 

He said:

"We don't know exactly what's going on and how this will impact things. (But) while I think there may be changes within the immigration apparatus especially on a paradigm level and maybe policy level (in the future) some things in respect to retirement visa police remain immutable (unchanging)". 

"....changes within the immigration apparatus especially on a paradigm level..." !?!?!

Golly.  Aren't we educated?  I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole any lawyer who needs to talk like that.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Business slow Mr Hart?

You know nothing about what will happen next, just the same as the rest of us.

Better just shut up and wait and see what will happen, and stop scaremongering.

Unfortunately he seems to have his mouth on auto-pilot.

2 hours ago, whatwasithinking said:

You have to be back for your check in. Can’t miss it. 

They are correct, it is highly unlikely retirement visa rules will be changed but is is likely witch hunt on foreigners and how to make our live hard will stop.

it is also likely local offices will have more control and less fear to “assist”

Big Joke obviously pissed someone a long way up the food chain off, and his disappearance had nothing to do with changes made to Immigration policy while he was in control. As such, don't expect any of the recent changes made to be unwound.

Before I saw it hear...I listened to what the lawyers assessment was and said, “he said nothing”...

now I see it here.

there is a reason why he was transferred and the timing of the announcement after the election is important for some reason.

There is a reason for most everything. Time will tell. 

3 hours ago, whatwasithinking said:

With ref to last paragraph, i asked the same question at immigration , they told me I MUST go and show my bank book as soon as i return to Thailand 

5 hours ago, balo said:

Blah blah blah blah.  Nobody knows anything at this stage,

Just a lawyer trying to get more business. 

Right. He just took up a lot of space saying that like the rest of us he has no clue what will happen.

Archived