Developers In Hua Hin

dabiff

Would like to hear your stories of joy or woe on the "cowboy" developers of Hua Hin. Can anyone recommend "competent" legal assistance to review contracts, building material specifications, etc.

Has anyone purchased a home from "third time is a charm" builders?

Many cowboy builders here in Hua Hin, the majority do not have the correct visa or work permit, use ex bar girls as a front. The majority have marriage or retirement visa's.

Finding it hard now since the annoucement concerning Land Purchase.

Find a Thai builder, its the same as the farrang will use without adding his bit, the farrang builder has never bult anything untill he came here.

Edited by Bonaparte

There are of course cowboy builders here in hua hin as with most resort areas in Thailand.

There are numerous stories from people who get ripped off one way or another, much the same as Koh Samui or Phucket.

Always seek good advice and of course if possable talk to other ex-pats who live in the area you intend to buy.

Mike.

There are of course cowboy builders here in hua hin as with most resort areas in Thailand.

There are numerous stories from people who get ripped off one way or another, much the same as Koh Samui or Phucket.

Always seek good advice and of course if possable talk to other ex-pats who live in the area you intend to buy.

Mike.

So should it be taken that it's normal now to be ripped off by these "cowboy" builders?

if you let them rip you off , they will.

if you are on site regularly , to see how the the work is progressing , and to buy the materials as they are needed , and to make sure that mistakes are corrected before they get out of hand , then your chances of being 'ripped off' and having misunderstandings with your builder will be greatly reduced.

I unnastan çowboy' to mean slapdash and crooked. When I renovated a French farmhouse that's what those types were called. For the record, they were pretty well 100% Brits in my area preying on those who didn't speak French.

if you let them rip you off , they will.

if you are on site regularly , to see how the the work is progressing , and to buy the materials as they are needed , and to make sure that mistakes are corrected before they get out of hand , then your chances of being 'ripped off' and having misunderstandings with your builder will be greatly reduced.

Totally agree, Tax. Better to be like the local Thais and hunker down on the site everyday. Oversee the materials orders and the work. Expect language/cultural diffs.

Seen many farang buy a "dream" and come back six months later and nothing is correct or even partially completed, whether a farang/Thai construction. It's like cooking a flambe: Gotta keep watch all the time or it goes up in smoke.

• 4 months later...
Anyone know a good builder in Hua Hin someone who really knows his stuff wont skimp etc

This guy is building my house at the moment on Heights II, well recommended,

Andrew Stocks

43/30 Hua Hin,

Nong Plub Road,

Hua-hin, Prachuabkhirikhan,

Thailand

[email protected]

+6632511711

:o

The smart <deleted> still made a point that is a response to the opening post: that your chances of find a truly reputable builder are very slim, apparently. I only knew one farang who was having his house built, and he had a long litany of obvious mistakes and failures to follow the 'blueprints.'

Comment I heard from a British builder,

They can slap as many coats of paint as they want but you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear. :o

Who knows and who cares.

Our landlords are builders and seem to do a good job but I would suggest people look around at various developments and if they find one they like then ask for the builders name. Ching Ching.

Because there is massive over-demand for builders in Hua Hin now, those coming in now and wanting builders will end up with the dross I'm afraid.

There are some very good builders out there but they are few and are 'held onto' by the more successful developers/projects.

Some projects have sold out their 1st and 2nd phases very quickly because of the good quality of their houses (mostly the farang supervised one's), and are now on their 3rd or 4th phases, go look at the quality there and you'll notice the difference as they've weeded out all the bad builders along the way.

But for someone coming out now and wanting to build just their own house, they will struggle to find good builders unfortunately. This is the reality.

Good luck,

Burgernev

Edited by Burgernev

• 2 weeks later...

Just take a look at the concrete work along any street in Hua Hin and that should give you an idea of the quality of workmanship in Thailand.

If that doesn't discourage you, take a look at the workers on any Thai construction site. A bunch of farmers with flip flop shoes who come down to work when the harvest is over.

If you still aren't sure, walk up and do a close inspection of the brickwork on the walls of a typical house construction job. Notice how the bricks aren't even laid even

If someone recommends a builder, do yourself a favor and make sure to checkout one of his sites under construction. You don't have to be an expert to tell sloppy workmanship or to figure out if the people working for him are professionals..and not just some day laborers doing everything from tile to electrical.

In Thailand the building trade is like the wild west. You don't have to have a license to be a contractor. Just buy yourself a hard hat and a pair of working boots and you're ready to build yourself a house. And don't expect to find licensed carpenters, electricians and brick masons. No such thing in Thailand. There are no building codes. No inspector from the city who comes by during the construction project to make sure everything is up to code.

Ask your builder who inspects the quality of his work and he will tell you with a straight face...HE does.

No wonder the warranty period for a house built in Thailand is......ONE YEAR. You see, even the builder doesn't have much confidence in his own work.

post-24253-1186817699_thumb.jpg

post-24253-1186817778_thumb.jpg

post-24253-1186818042_thumb.jpg

Edited by egeefay

Just take a look at the concrete work along any street in Hua Hin and that should give you an idea of the quality of workmanship in Thailand.

If that doesn't discourage you, take a look at the workers on any Thai construction site. A bunch of farmers with flip flop shoes who come down to work when the harvest is over.

If you still aren't sure, walk up and do a close inspection of the brickwork on the walls of a typical house construction job. Notice how the bricks aren't even laid even

If someone recommends a builder, do yourself a favor and make sure to checkout one of his sites under construction. You don't have to be an expert to tell sloppy workmanship or to figure out if the people working for him are professionals..and not just some day laborers doing everything from tile to electrical.

In Thailand the building trade is like the wild west. You don't have to have a license to be a contractor. Just buy yourself a hard hat and a pair of working boots and you're ready to build yourself a house. And don't expect to find licensed carpenters, electricians and brick masons. No such thing in Thailand. There are no building codes. No inspector from the city who comes by during the construction project to make sure everything is up to code.

Ask your builder who inspects the quality of his work and he will tell you with a straight face...HE does.

No wonder the warranty period for a house built in Thailand is......ONE YEAR. You see, even the builder doesn't have much confidence in his own work.

actually the legal warranty on any structural works is 2 years. no matter what your builder may tell you

splitlid wrote:

actually the legal warranty on any structural works is 2 years. no matter what your builder may tell you

Thai law states that "the legal warranty on any structural works is 2 years" UNLESS specified otherwise in the contract.

Developers specify 1 year, sneaky gits.

You lot are so naive in assuming there's no decent builders here, ofcourse there is, but they've been snapped up early and now half the builders 'farmer builders'.

The quality of a house will depend on the developer and if he actually knows anything about construction.

Ie:

If he employs more highly skilled Bangkok builders at a small extra cost

If he checks the work and makes the builders change it, then they learn they can't get away with it.

If he buys quality materials.

No decent builders my arse, the Hyatt, Chiva Som, golf course club houses, 'some' of the house on Palm Hills, 'some' projects (no names mentioned) are a right state aren't they ........ not.

Some of the houses/work is shocking agree 100%, but why the hel_l are people buying these types of houses ??

Burgernev

Edited by Burgernev

The only thing that surprises me about these threads, that appear with monotonous regularity is that anyone is surprised by them.

The truth is that builders are pretty much the same the world over. Their modus operandi is to build as quickly and as cheaply as possible - that's what builders do.

The difference is that in the UK at least very few people are closely connected with the building process so they don't see the shortcuts, the bodges and the work arounds, that are the stock in trade of any builder. Then come to Thailand where they have their dream home fixed in their mind and gosh, the builder seems to have a completly different idea. Which is made worse a 100% when their wife has recruited an Isaan cousin and is handling the day to day translation.

Read a book written by one of the farangs who have had a house built here, learn from their mistakes, use a local builder who can show you houses he has built before, have it 150% clear in your mind what you want and learn enough Thai to be able to communicate it to your builder.

Good points Dougal.

Look at their 'show house' and then look at 'several' other of their completed houses to see if the quality is the same.

If they do not have several built then you are taking a risk with them, if the quality is the same over 5 or 6 houses, they should be a good bet.

They should give you a specification of materials and finishes too, if not, don't buy. Same goes for architects drawings, showing structural details (how thick (dia) the re-inforcing metal is) etc etc

I'm also amazed that no customers (not one, not ever, not anywhere) ask the developer for a credit reference. This is standard practice on large construction projects, people say they're concerned whether the development will ever get finished but they never ask if the developer is sufficiently funded.

'Most' buyers over here are very naive and desperate to throw their money at you.

Burgernev

Edited by Burgernev

This topic had 24 posts, when it was closed. Just now I deleted 13, including posts in which I suspect the OP had a self interest; various exchanges which included libel and defamation of character (a criminal offense in Thailand), and references to the Royal family. It will now be merged with the related topic which will also be purged of any post that violates any ThaiVisa rule.

17 out of the 26 posts in this original topic have been removed, some of them merely because of irrelevant remarks, most of them were mild to severe insults of other posters, etc. Nothing of high value has been removed. Now it will be merged with the related topic and made visible.

Read the ThaiVisa forum rules, folks.

This topic had 24 posts, when it was closed. Just now I deleted 13, including posts in which I suspect the OP had a self interest; various exchanges which included libel and defamation of character (a criminal offense in Thailand), and references to the Royal family. It will now be merged with the related topic which will also be purged of any post that violates any ThaiVisa rule.

Peace blondie of course i had a self interest I want a house built and I want to know if anyone has a good builder they have used. What Im not interetsed in is bad builders, I was looking for "good" personal experiences of members here, wasnt interested to hear about all the dross and the reasons for the dross etc Many of the htread here could be nice short and sweet instead of going off in rants, tangents and anything else.

Simple because I trust my wife, I will do everything possible to stay in the house I build including usufructs etc etc. Both her parents are dead and she has little contact with her family. I also want to live in Thailand despite its shortcomings for "me" its better.

I dont want neighbours so a condo is no good.

Simple because I trust my wife, I will do everything possible to stay in the house I build including usufructs etc etc. Both her parents are dead and she has little contact with her family. I also want to live in Thailand despite its shortcomings for "me" its better.

I dont want neighbours so a condo is no good.

HI

YES THIS WORKS FOR YOU, A THAI CAN PURCHASE LAND, PEOPLE COMING TO INVEST WITH THEIR HARD EARNED CASH SHOULD THINK AGAIN. THE ONLY PEOPLE BENEFITTING WILL BE THE WIFE OF THE THAI WHO RETAINS THE LAND EFTER THE LEASE AGREEMENT EXPIRE'S.

BY THE WAY WHAT DOE'S THIS MEAN?? "usufructs"?

I'm not in the business or in the market, but it sounds as if this usufruct thing (as hard to spell correctly as to pronounce) is the very latest thing. Let's see if I understand the definition there: you get to use somebody's else's property, so long as you don't destroy it. Uhhm, sounds like RENT. Oops, pardon my shouting.

I've been divorced a long time, so maybe I forget how trusting spouses can be. I suppose it's wiser to trust the ownership to your own wife as to the developer's wife, or to Thaksin Shinawatra's maid's nephew's butler. But even when we were married, we bought in joint tenancy. She and I owned the home, our names were on the title, subject of course to a mortgage in those days. Would I trust any other system of "ownership"? No, not if it wasn't ownership.

Hey, I just moderate this forum from Chiang Mai, where I rent from the same incredibly rich landlady from whom I rented in Hua Hin. If I got ten million US dollars tomorrow, I'd give my boyfriend a house in his own name, and we'd live there. But I wouldn't OWN it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes SB, I think everyone realises by now that you are a condo enthusiast. Safe and sound and so much more convenient when you choose to join the Hua Hin equivalent of the Pattaya Sky Diving Club.

However, despite all the apparent drawbacks and risks many people prefer not to live in what is to all intents and purposes a hotel minus room service, so they buy a house and, amazingly, the ones I know are sleeping quite happily.