BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

German tourist savagely raped and murdered on Koh Si Chang - Thai man charged

Thailand is turning in to a failing society with parents neglecting their children, and I see the neglect of children everyday here in the north, either by parents who are leaving their children with relatives so and then go to Bangkok to work, or because of drugs. This lead to that just during last year, 3 of my students ended up in prison (all of them have been dumped at their grandparents, as their parents have been working in Bangkok for many years)!
So, it's my strong belief that how Thailand have turned from being close farm communities to everyone going to Bangkok, with about 25% of the Thai population now living/working in the greater Bangkok area is one part of the problem. Another problem seems to be a declining IQ/EQ level among many Thai youths, I can't give clear scientific evidence for this statement, but there are studies that shows that milk/breastfeeding affect the IQ in boys and that the brains and bodies of young children need nourishment to grow properly. And then you look at what many parents are feeding their children, a rice porridge/diet that is low in vitamins, minerals, protein, fatty acids, and only high in carbohydrates! I believe that we could call this Seven-Eleven syndrome or generation 7-11 as CP is already an established syndrome in the medical world.

2 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

good beating seems to work here to get a confession.

That as well, but the average Thai who commits these crimes is nowhere near clever enough to outwit the police or keep a straight story. 

On 4/8/2019 at 9:08 AM, khwaibah said:

Cap him now. End of.

Understand the gut reactions, but probably best to have a trial first to establish whether or not there is sufficient evidence for a conviction.

An alleged confession, as we know from previous cases involving crimes against foreigners in LOS, is not necessarily proof of guilt.

<deleted> animal! 

What next? A slapped wrist, make merit, all is forgiven. Next victim! Justice served!

It is only a farang, same as a dog. You are Thai, you can do what you like to farang! 

RIP, but considering the poor victims fate, I find it hard to believe she will rest in peace. 

They call this place paradise. Land of smiles...

It's no wonder Westerners are starting to not live here, work here or visit here... 

21 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

The transition over the years from a fun loving Buddhist Kingdom to a materialistic maniacal commercial society left many out of the loop. Now you have lesser educated people who are taking short cuts to have all that the elite take for granted.  The outcome is an insane "gotta-have-it" drug /alcohol have nots, falling off the edges.  Thailand needs some serious adjustments. It's really sad.

This "transition" you mention exists world wide, not only in Thailand. This is called "Development" and is not avoidable. All this is 'imported' from the developed world.

Maybe just weird can tell us if there's anymore his pals have hidden around?

Interrogated for 3 hours? Perhaps anyone of us would have confessed. Just as likely as is not that he's guilty.

4 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Another problem seems to be a declining IQ/EQ level among many Thai youths, I can't give clear scientific evidence for this statement, but there are studies that shows that milk/breastfeeding affect the IQ in boys and that the brains and bodies of young children need nourishment to grow properly. And then you look at what many parents are feeding their children, a rice porridge/diet that is low in vitamins, minerals, protein, fatty acids, and only high in carbohydrates!

Interesting theory, but this means that the whole nation has a low IQ, since all of them are fed up on rice and plenty of carbohydrates.  

And maybe thats why we farangs feel superior to them ? What do you think ?? 

23 hours ago, sambum said:

"If proven guilty the suspect will face the death sentence without any doubt at all."

What part of "If proven guilty" do you not understand?

A lynch party is no justice !!! everybody has the right of a fair trial, even if caught red handed !?!

On 8. April 2019 at 2:05 PM, AGareth2 said:

maybe the family have not as yet been notified

News like this is in Germany only in the "yellow press" ... if at all.

Off topic posts and replies have been removed. 

Troll posts and replies have been removed. 

21 hours ago, balo said:

Rest in peace beautiful lady.   

A lot of Thais commenting on social media want the death penalty reinstated in Thailand.

NINTCHDBPICT0004816133351.jpg?w=960

NINTCHDBPICT000481613233.jpg?w=960

NINTCHDBPICT000481613235.jpg?w=960

Pretty girl with a lifetime of fun ahead of her.

My heart bleeds.

How can the parents get over this???

And all TAT will do is a massive PR job to save their precious industry.

It's bad.

My advice to women travelling in Thailand would be to exercise a higher degree of caution than you may have believed was adequate in the past. I believe the incidence of sexual assaults against women may be on the rise in Thailand. While the vast majority of Thai men are totally decent blokes, there is a growing underclass of Thai men who, having fallen through the cracks of the educational system and been raised in home environments with poor or non-existent parental supervision, often struggle to be reliable bread winners and to form households, have poor impulse control skills, and turn to alcohol and drug abuse to dull the reality of their lives, all risk factors which raise the risk of sexual assault. My reason for suspecting this may be a growing problem is that both income inequality and urbanization trends are accelerating, and these trends, in turn, are exacerbating the number of children raised in single-parent or no-parent families, particularly in rural areas.

Excellent observation- It is so easy for tourists to think the “fake Thai smile” one sees at an international hotel chain or the soft spoken Thai in the service industry represents all of Thailand not realizing Thailand also has its share of psychological “misfits” as found in Western countries. And there is a problem of many young Thais growing up without parents ( dumped with the grandmother or aunt) not receiving a good sense of morality. Society and the local Buddhist temples are ignoring this discussion / issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

An off topic post about malnutrition has been removed. 

A post containing a link to a foreign language news site has been removed as this is an English language forum.  English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed. 

23 hours ago, ravip said:
On 4/8/2019 at 1:18 PM, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

The transition over the years from a fun loving Buddhist Kingdom to a materialistic maniacal commercial society left many out of the loop. Now you have lesser educated people who are taking short cuts to have all that the elite take for granted.  The outcome is an insane "gotta-have-it" drug /alcohol have nots, falling off the edges.  Thailand needs some serious adjustments. It's really sad.

This "transition" you mention exists world wide, not only in Thailand. This is called "Development" and is not avoidable. All this is 'imported' from the developed world.

“Development” is just an easy excuse or deflection. Modernity brings to the fore, aspects of a culture that have always existed in that culture.

“If the integrity of the ministers of justice matches the wisdom of the laws that have been established in the Kingdom of Siam, there would be no more civilized state in the whole of the Indies. But the inordinate passion for amassing of wealth, which is the dominant vice in the country, render these laws forever ineffective.”

-Traveler to Siam 1600's -

The above quote indicates materialism has long been a problem, whether in the Ayutthaya Kingdom or todays Thailand. Nothing new here.