Netizens face the truth: Humans are killing sea life with their trash

webfact

Netizens face the truth: Humans are killing sea life with their trash

6pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News Online spoke to a vet after a story of what was found inside a couple of sea turtles went viral on Thai social media. 

Autopsies inside the stomachs of a green sea turtle and another four year old turtle showed what had killed them.

Humans and their waste. 

The stomachs were filled with plastic, straws, foam and nylon rope. 

Dr Weeraphong Laowetprasit - a vet also known as Dr Mac working on the eastern seaboard - said that tons of trash was flowing into the sea from rivers in Bangkok every single day. 

The latest turtle deaths were not even news. One or two large sea creatures were found dead from human waste every single day.

He said that the average figures for annual deaths of marine life were: 300 turtles, 200 dolphins, 12 dugongs and 3 - 5 whales. 

Most of these were caused by human waste products.

Thai netizens reacted with horror to the reality of what the dumping of human waste into rivers actually means. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-08

Are "netizens" so <deleted> that they haven't known about plastic trash killing sea creatures for decades, till it was presented on "social media"?

Humans are doing what humans are best at- destroying other species by the thousands.

8000000 tons !! of plastic every year in the oceans !! Google for it. 

Islands as big as the state of Texas !! I believe there are 5 of them.

I saw pics, movies of Bali overwhelmed with plastic, floats full of it and destroyed.

People still using that black water , float was completely dead.

Some years ago i was swimming in philippines with plastic.

Space, above earth, becoming the same with the many satellites not more or still working.

Yup we are on the road to nowhere

This is a world wide problem and there isnt a person on this planet that doesnt use plastics. Until industry commits to phasing out plastics and introducing a biodegradable alternative then the populous will have no choice but to utilize what is available. The best we can do is cut down on new purchases and try to find alternates where possible. Not an easy fix but very urgently required.

Reacted with horror - so bad had to go to 7-11 to get a plastic bottle of green tea in a double plastic bag and dozen straws, with a triple plastic bagged sugary chaser to get that insulin shock going.

The only small thing you can do is lead by example and decline plastic bags wherever possible and say why you don't  want one. It's not much but if you can get family members to do the same it might one day catch on.

The plastics industry, governments and the general public's lethargic attitude towards disposal of plastic has much to answer for. I sometimes muse to myself about how busy so many self righteous types are running around these days trying to erase/alter history and blame those from the past for everything that is wrong these days. They have little idea how harshly future generations will judge the here and now when we don't do anything about problems like this even though we have the know-how to and it's all down to money.

6 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

This photo was allegedly taken in the Gulf of Thailand. No other words are needed.

I have spent many years offshore in the GOT and never seen any garbage, surprisingly it is pristine, this must be close to shore if it is indeed the GOT.

What is causing the plastic to be so delicious and tempting to these animals?

I can understand when they might mistake a plastic bag for a jellyfish (look similar and probably both have zero taste).  

But, why would they eat plastic straws, bottles and the rest?  Maybe there is not enough food left for them and they are eating anything as they are starving to death?  I saw a film about seabirds and all the chicks were dead.  When they cut them open they were filled with plastic bottle tops.... I mean... no fish looks or feels like a plastic bottle top!!!

Anyway, I can't see humans changing sadly and this is just going to get worse,  even if we reduce the use of plastic... we will still actually use more if our population keeps souring like it is  

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

But, why would they eat plastic straws, bottles and the rest?  Maybe there is not enough food left for them and they are eating anything as they are starving to death?  I saw a film about seabirds and all the chicks were dead.  When they cut them open they were filled with plastic bottle tops.... I mean... no fish looks or feels like a plastic bottle top!!!

Of course - it's all the animals' fault!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai netizens reacted with horror to the reality of what the dumping of human waste into rivers actually means. 

...before walking into the next 7-Eleven, emerging a few minutes later weighed down by plastic bags and precariously balancing plastic coffee cups in their hands.

Have just returned from Big C. As far as I can tell, I was the ONLY person among several dozen customers at the check-out counters who had brought his own reusable shopping bag. Everyone else took their groceries back home packed in plastic bags, often enough entire cartfuls.

The attitude to plastic is never going to change here. 

19 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

...before walking into the next 7-Eleven, emerging a few minutes later weighed down by plastic bags and precariously balancing plastic coffee cups in their hands.

Have just returned from Big C. As far as I can tell, I was the ONLY person among several dozen customers at the check-out counters who had brought his own reusable shopping bag. Everyone else took their groceries back home packed in plastic bags, often enough entire cartfuls.

The attitude to plastic is never going to change here. 

Then the authorities should force change. 

Ban all single use plastics. 

Not just here, but the world over. 

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Of course - it's all the animals' fault!

No, you misunderstood me.

It's our fault for all the pollution. 

Even if the animals did not eat the stuff then it would look unsightly.

I only wonder why plastic has such appeal for them to eat it.  

Like another poster said most land animals don't eat the plastic rubbish.  I only know of cows and buffalo eat plastic bags that still have the taste of salt in them (as these animals often crave salt in their diet). Then their stomachs get clogged up. 

If the marine animals are eating plastic and rubbish, then why don't they also eat wood, sticks, rocks and leaves and die?  Something must be attractive about the plastic.. maybe the chemicals or smell.  So if we can find out why they love to eat it we might be able to add something to the plastic to make it taste bad or something like that.

Archived