Netizens face the truth: Humans are killing sea life with their trash

webfact

Netizens face the truth: Humans are killing sea life with their trash

6pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News Online spoke to a vet after a story of what was found inside a couple of sea turtles went viral on Thai social media. 

Autopsies inside the stomachs of a green sea turtle and another four year old turtle showed what had killed them.

Humans and their waste. 

The stomachs were filled with plastic, straws, foam and nylon rope. 

Dr Weeraphong Laowetprasit - a vet also known as Dr Mac working on the eastern seaboard - said that tons of trash was flowing into the sea from rivers in Bangkok every single day. 

The latest turtle deaths were not even news. One or two large sea creatures were found dead from human waste every single day.

He said that the average figures for annual deaths of marine life were: 300 turtles, 200 dolphins, 12 dugongs and 3 - 5 whales. 

Most of these were caused by human waste products.

Thai netizens reacted with horror to the reality of what the dumping of human waste into rivers actually means. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-08

8000000 tons !! of plastic every year in the oceans !! Google for it. 

Islands as big as the state of Texas !! I believe there are 5 of them.

I saw pics, movies of Bali overwhelmed with plastic, floats full of it and destroyed.

People still using that black water , float was completely dead.

Some years ago i was swimming in philippines with plastic.

Space, above earth, becoming the same with the many satellites not more or still working.

Yup we are on the road to nowhere

This is a world wide problem and there isnt a person on this planet that doesnt use plastics. Until industry commits to phasing out plastics and introducing a biodegradable alternative then the populous will have no choice but to utilize what is available. The best we can do is cut down on new purchases and try to find alternates where possible. Not an easy fix but very urgently required.

The only small thing you can do is lead by example and decline plastic bags wherever possible and say why you don't  want one. It's not much but if you can get family members to do the same it might one day catch on.

The plastics industry, governments and the general public's lethargic attitude towards disposal of plastic has much to answer for. I sometimes muse to myself about how busy so many self righteous types are running around these days trying to erase/alter history and blame those from the past for everything that is wrong these days. They have little idea how harshly future generations will judge the here and now when we don't do anything about problems like this even though we have the know-how to and it's all down to money.

6 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

This photo was allegedly taken in the Gulf of Thailand. No other words are needed.

I have spent many years offshore in the GOT and never seen any garbage, surprisingly it is pristine, this must be close to shore if it is indeed the GOT.

What is causing the plastic to be so delicious and tempting to these animals?

I can understand when they might mistake a plastic bag for a jellyfish (look similar and probably both have zero taste).  

But, why would they eat plastic straws, bottles and the rest?  Maybe there is not enough food left for them and they are eating anything as they are starving to death?  I saw a film about seabirds and all the chicks were dead.  When they cut them open they were filled with plastic bottle tops.... I mean... no fish looks or feels like a plastic bottle top!!!

Anyway, I can't see humans changing sadly and this is just going to get worse,  even if we reduce the use of plastic... we will still actually use more if our population keeps souring like it is  

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

But, why would they eat plastic straws, bottles and the rest?  Maybe there is not enough food left for them and they are eating anything as they are starving to death?  I saw a film about seabirds and all the chicks were dead.  When they cut them open they were filled with plastic bottle tops.... I mean... no fish looks or feels like a plastic bottle top!!!

Of course - it's all the animals' fault!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai netizens reacted with horror to the reality of what the dumping of human waste into rivers actually means. 

...before walking into the next 7-Eleven, emerging a few minutes later weighed down by plastic bags and precariously balancing plastic coffee cups in their hands.

Have just returned from Big C. As far as I can tell, I was the ONLY person among several dozen customers at the check-out counters who had brought his own reusable shopping bag. Everyone else took their groceries back home packed in plastic bags, often enough entire cartfuls.

The attitude to plastic is never going to change here. 

19 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

...before walking into the next 7-Eleven, emerging a few minutes later weighed down by plastic bags and precariously balancing plastic coffee cups in their hands.

Have just returned from Big C. As far as I can tell, I was the ONLY person among several dozen customers at the check-out counters who had brought his own reusable shopping bag. Everyone else took their groceries back home packed in plastic bags, often enough entire cartfuls.

Then the authorities should force change. 

Ban all single use plastics. 

Not just here, but the world over. 

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Of course - it's all the animals' fault!

No, you misunderstood me.

It's our fault for all the pollution. 

Even if the animals did not eat the stuff then it would look unsightly.

I only wonder why plastic has such appeal for them to eat it.  

Like another poster said most land animals don't eat the plastic rubbish.  I only know of cows and buffalo eat plastic bags that still have the taste of salt in them (as these animals often crave salt in their diet). Then their stomachs get clogged up. 

If the marine animals are eating plastic and rubbish, then why don't they also eat wood, sticks, rocks and leaves and die?  Something must be attractive about the plastic.. maybe the chemicals or smell.  So if we can find out why they love to eat it we might be able to add something to the plastic to make it taste bad or something like that.

3 hours ago, CGW said:

I have spent many years offshore in the GOT and never seen any garbage, surprisingly it is pristine, this must be close to shore if it is indeed the GOT.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not there. 

Face are facts.....it is there! You might like to think it is pristine. Would you care to make further comment on you personal knowledge of that cesspit which is the Gulf of Thailand.

40 minutes ago, nervona81732 said:

Thank GOD finally. You kill the Ocean you kill Planet Earth.

No,  Planet Earth will be fine.

But,  we won't,  nor will the wild life.

Every place in Thailand is a dump for the locals to use, 

land or sea , it makes no difference to them.  :sad:

33 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Would you care to make further comment on you personal knowledge of that cesspit which is the Gulf of Thailand.

Is there any point me making further comment, you seem to have made your mind up based on a one time event that happened after severe flooding in Feb 2017.

The GOT is ~497 x 348 miles (320,000 km²), undoubtedly what happened in the video was a one of environmental disaster, which was cleaned up, based on this you have decided that the whole gulf is a "cesspit" due to this one incident, which happened in a minute area of the gulf, very close to shore.

Please note your post also stated "allegedly" "This photo was allegedly taken in the Gulf of Thailand. No other words are needed" you have obviously researched further to prove your point, at least now you are presenting facts - not "allegedly" facts.

See it as you wish, sure you have your reasoning, there are ~ 320 offshore structures in the GOT, the water has been pristine from every structure I have been on.

21 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Then the authorities should force change. 

Ban all single use plastics. 

Not just here, but the world over. 

Ban all single use plastics. ?? You like to go back in time?

you want all plastic bottles to be glass again? All the stuff you buy is wrapped in single used plastic. Your tomato ketchup, mayonnaise or what ever more. Guess thats not an option. 

Making other kinds of plastic would be better, easy to break down and i believe they are just there all ready. But for a manufacturer, its about costs. Your product would get more expensive and you set your company to go down. Its easy to use the common plastic, its just cheap. SO force companies to use other plastics.

Only the users, buyers should be more wise and of course governments.

There should be a garbage pick up, which in most asian (not only) countries isnt there and then the plastic should be recycled or burned. All garbage, handle it ! 

As 8 million tons of plastic is dumped every year in the oceans, there must be companies (governments?), just illegally dumping it in the oceans. Easy way to get rit off. Easy handling, money in the pocket. Also people thinking  like this, just throw the bottle or anything everywhere, when you finished. 

Can you imagine Thailand is importing, they are, garbage?! So some plastics are doable for recycling and the rest? Guess dumping it into the ocean, easy way.

My mom taught me, if i get a candy to keep the wrapping and later throw it away in the garbage can. And i still go by that. Now you see youngster going to Mcd and throw the garbage around, even when there is a garbage container just close by!! 

To f*** lazy to get out the car and walk to the can.

When i went to the beach for a swim with my boys, i had a big bag with all stuff you need and when i leave my place was clean. All garbage in bag , taking it home to garbage can. Matter of education, raising by my mom and i hope i raised my sons the same way.

Why Thai people are amazed every time again when aliens are cleaning beaches?

But has some positive effect. I red about Thai soldiers were cleaning a beach, however all gathered garbage was dumped in a hole and buried. Too bad after such an effort.

Also about cleaning the Gulf of Thailand from a big plastic float.

Does the Koh Samui garbage incinerator works again or still broken?

Why Thai people in the country dont have a garbage pick up? Easy it costs.

You better spend billions on submarines then on waste treatment.  

Just now, humbug said:

every little bit helps, even if its a few less plastic waste a day, it wont take long until this part of the world is at a critical point

Perhaps discouraging 7-11 from automatically handing out plastic straws might be a start

28 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Ban all single use plastics. ?? You like to go back in time?

you want all plastic bottles to be glass again? All the stuff you buy is wrapped in single used plastic. Your tomato ketchup, mayonnaise or what ever more. Guess thats not an option. 

Making other kinds of plastic would be better, easy to break down and i believe they are just there all ready. But for a manufacturer, its about costs. Your product would get more expensive and you set your company to go down. Its easy to use the common plastic, its just cheap. SO force companies to use other plastics.

Only the users, buyers should be more wise and of course governments.

There should be a garbage pick up, which in most asian (not only) countries isnt there and then the plastic should be recycled or burned. All garbage, handle it ! 

As 8 million tons of plastic is dumped every year in the oceans, there must be companies (governments?), just illegally dumping it in the oceans. Easy way to get rit off. Easy handling, money in the pocket. Also people thinking  like this, just throw the bottle or anything everywhere, when you finished. 

Can you imagine Thailand is importing, they are, garbage?! So some plastics are doable for recycling and the rest? Guess dumping it into the ocean, easy way.

My mom taught me, if i get a candy to keep the wrapping and later throw it away in the garbage can. And i still go by that. Now you see youngster going to Mcd and throw the garbage around, even when there is a garbage container just close by!! 

When i went to the beach for a swim with my boys, i had a big bag with all stuff you need and when i leave my place was clean. All garbage in bag , taking it home to garbage can. Matter of education, raising by my mom and i hope i raised my sons the same way.

Why Thai people are amazed every time again when aliens are cleaning beaches?

But has some positive effect. I red about Thai soldiers were cleaning a beach, however all gathered garbage was dumped in a hole and buried. Too bad after such an effort.

Also about cleaning the Gulf of Thailand from a big plastic float.

Does the Koh Samui garbage incinerator works again or still broken?

Why Thai people in the country dont have a garbage pick up? Easy it costs.

You better spend billions on submarines then on waste treatment.  

A: Ban all single use plastics. ?? You like to go back in time?

Yes

B: You want all plastic bottles to be glass again? All the stuff you buy is wrapped in single used plastic. Your tomato ketchup, mayonnaise or what ever more. Guess thats not an option. 

If it's in a plastic container or has plastic wrapping, I don't buy it.

c; Making other kinds of plastic would be better, easy to break down and i believe they are just there all ready. But for a manufacturer, its about costs. Your product would get more expensive and you set your company to go down. Its easy to use the common plastic, its just cheap. SO force companies to use other plastics.

Could not care less about the cost. We only have one planet. FORCE change.

d: Only the users, buyers should be more wise and of course governments.

Reduction and prohibition of single use plastics is a much better policy than recycling.

e: As 8 million tons of plastic is dumped every year in the oceans, there must be companies (governments?), just illegally dumping it in the oceans. Easy way to get rit off. Easy handling, money in the pocket. Also people thinking  like this, just throw the bottle or anything everywhere, when you finished. 

Banning will reduce dumping. By the way, I did say everywhere should ban it, not just Thailand...

f: My mom taught me, if i get a candy to keep the wrapping and later throw it away in the garbage can. And i still go by that. Now you see youngster going to Mcd and throw the garbage around, even when there is a garbage container just close by!! 

I didn't reference littering in my post. Though I never litter and fully agree we should all take responsibility and not do so. Just as we all should avoid single use plastics.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Reduction and prohibition of single use plastics is a much better policy than recycling.

Edit: Burning plastic is environmentally catastrophic.

22 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

A: Ban all single use plastics. ?? You like to go back in time?

Yes

B: You want all plastic bottles to be glass again? All the stuff you buy is wrapped in single used plastic. Your tomato ketchup, mayonnaise or what ever more. Guess thats not an option. 

If it's in a plastic container or has plastic wrapping, I don't buy it.

c; Making other kinds of plastic would be better, easy to break down and i believe they are just there all ready. But for a manufacturer, its about costs. Your product would get more expensive and you set your company to go down. Its easy to use the common plastic, its just cheap. SO force companies to use other plastics.

Could not care less about the cost. We only have one planet. FORCE change.

e: As 8 million tons of plastic is dumped every year in the oceans, there must be companies (governments?), just illegally dumping it in the oceans. Easy way to get rit off. Easy handling, money in the pocket. Also people thinking  like this, just throw the bottle or anything everywhere, when you finished. 

Banning will reduce dumping. By the way, I did say everywhere should ban it, not just Thailand...

f: My mom taught me, if i get a candy to keep the wrapping and later throw it away in the garbage can. And i still go by that. Now you see youngster going to Mcd and throw the garbage around, even when there is a garbage container just close by!! 

I didn't reference littering in my post. Though I never litter and fully agree we should all take responsibility and not do so. Just as we all should avoid single use plastics.

"If it's in a plastic container or has plastic wrapping, I don't buy it."

You are telling me you dont brush your teeth with toothpaste, you dont drink water, no soda's, milk, coffee, dont wash your plates or whatever more with soap,

Your computer came in with lots of single use plastic, your phone, tv the same, refrigerator, washing machine, additional items for your comp and phone all with single use plastic. You never use medicines, ok.

You dont go to supermarket, as all is wrapped in single use plastic. When you buy meat or fish, you bring your own wrapping paper then(?). Or do you bring with you reusable plastic bowls to put it in? And of course you take it home in paper bags  or reusable plastic bag, walking of course as cars come also with single use plastic to protect your chairs and so, so you dont have a car or whatever vehicle.

Littering is an additional way of bringing in plastic in environment.

If half of population in Thailand is littering, just 1 bottle/week, you already have about 25 million bottles/week lying around.

As Thailand in many places dont have garbage handling, the people burn it or dump it on some place. NOT only Thailand !

Burning brings dioxines, however can be filtered out. When they discovered they took action on that, guess not all countries as it costs. But you can do other things with it.

You dont care about costs, you want to sacrifice your wallet for cleaner earth.

OK thats a good idea. Pay more for better handling ALL plastics.

But governments and companies wouldnt go for that. That is already why in countryside, garbage isnt picked up (pay for it) and handled. Money, its a drag.

Guess with humans it s like that , when its almost too late, they start to act.

Plastics like polypropyleen (soft plastic) can easily be reused, all those caps on bottles. And the PET bottle (ALL drinks are in it) can also be recycled, but needs good garbage handling AND making people aware.

The problem is, we started with it and dispose it in garbage was normal. You also probably did. However the human population raised in years very quick and the use of plastic, so then you get a lot. SO now its a problem.

When i was younger, there were 3 billion people and now we are close to 9 billion. SO tripled in my lifetime.

When lately i was in Thailand i reused single use plastic bottle. Water ! You need it.

I bought 2x 5 ltr bottle with water and reused it to fill again with the water delivering machine with the apartment block. 5 ltr bottle refilled 5 bath !

It said RO water(hope so) ! So should be good (im still alive) and its way cheaper.

I dont know why city governments dont change THEIR city water to RO, real clean water, it would magnificent decrease PET water bottles.

Of course companies will get out of business then, special the little ones. Money its a drag.

Or are people so stupid? We have the cleanest water here and people think they should drink water from bottles, yha ok what then.  

DOnt think banning is the only option. You can FORCE companies to look at their wrapping, let them change the kind of plastic. AND governments do active household with the garbage. 

8000000 tons/year plastic in the oceans is a criminal offence, here, big companies are working. I dont know why they arent caught.

33 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

"If it's in a plastic container or has plastic wrapping, I don't buy it."

You are telling me you dont brush your teeth with toothpaste, you dont drink water, no soda's, milk, coffee, dont wash your plates or whatever more with soap,

Your computer came in with lots of single use plastic, your phone, tv the same, refrigerator, washing machine, additional items for your comp and phone all with single use plastic. You never use medicines, ok.

You dont go to supermarket, as all is wrapped in single use plastic. When you buy meat or fish, you bring your own wrapping paper then(?). Or do you bring with you reusable plastic bowls to put it in? And of course you take it home in paper bags  or reusable plastic bag, walking of course as cars come also with single use plastic to protect your chairs and so, so you dont have a car or whatever vehicle.

Littering is an additional way of bringing in plastic in environment.

If half of population in Thailand is littering, just 1 bottle/week, you already have about 25 million bottles/week lying around.

As Thailand in many places dont have garbage handling, the people burn it or dump it on some place. NOT only Thailand !

Burning brings dioxines, however can be filtered out. When they discovered they took action on that, guess not all countries as it costs. But you can do other things with it.

You dont care about costs, you want to sacrifice your wallet for cleaner earth.

But governments and companies wouldnt go for that. That is already why in countryside, garbage isnt picked up (pay for it) and handled. Money, its a drag.

Guess with humans it s like that , when its almost too late, they start to act.

Plastics like polypropyleen (soft plastic) can easily be reused, all those caps on bottles. And the PET bottle (ALL drinks are in it) can also be recycled, but needs good garbage handling AND making people aware.

The problem is, we started with it and dispose it in garbage was normal. You also probably did. However the human population raised in years very quick and the use of plastic, so then you get a lot. SO now its a problem.

When i was younger, there were 3 billion people and now we are close to 9 billion. SO tripled in my lifetime.

When lately i was in Thailand i reused single use plastic bottle. Water ! You need it.

I bought 2x 5 ltr bottle with water and reused it to fill again with the water delivering machine with the apartment block. 5 ltr bottle refilled 5 bath !

It said RO water(hope so) ! So should be good (im still alive) and its way cheaper.

I dont know why city governments dont change THEIR city water to RO, real clean water, it would magnificent decrease PET water bottles.

Of course companies will get out of business then, special the little ones. Money its a drag.

Or are people so stupid? We have the cleanest water here and people think they should drink water from bottles, yha ok what then.  

DOnt think banning is the only option. You can FORCE companies to look at their wrapping, let them change the kind of plastic. AND governments do active household with the garbage. 

8000000 tons/year plastic in the oceans is a criminal offence, here, big companies are working. I dont know why they arent caught.

1. You are telling me you dont brush your teeth with toothpaste, you dont drink water, no soda's, milk, coffee, dont wash your plates or whatever more with soap,

I was referring to single use plastics. As in used once for 5 minutes or so and then thrown away.

However do see the point you are making, so

I do try to minimise those purchases you mention by:

I use toothpaste powder, comes in tins.

I use the large water bottles on a water dispenser. These are returned after use and reused.

Do not drink soda. Water and black coffee only.

I have bought one computer, one fridge and one tv in the past 20 years. If they break down  have them repaired. I do regret the packaging they came in and wish such things banned.

I only buy loose fruit and veg in the markets which I put in zip lock, reusable bags. I have at present been using the same bags for three years. Anything pre-wrapped I do not buy.

I am vegan so don't drink milk or eat meat/fish.

Don't drive and never have.

2. Littering is an additional way of bringing in plastic in environment.

As I said previously, a ban on single use plastics would drastically reduce littering. Burning plastic is not a solution.

3. You dont care about costs, you want to sacrifice your wallet for cleaner earth.

Certainly would make sacrifices, financial or otherwise for a cleaner, better, single use plastic free planet.

Banning is still my option. 

Choosing to not use isn't working, therefore governments should force change.

On 4/8/2019 at 11:36 AM, Misterwhisper said:

If the govt put a 10 baht charge on each bag, and use the tax gained to clean up the environment a bit, I reckon attitudes would pretty soon start to change. Peeeng! 

Archived