Officials to sterilise Hua Hin monkeys

webfact

Officials to sterilise Hua Hin monkeys

By The Nation

hh.jpg

FILE photo

With more than 1,000 long-tailed macaques now living at Kho Takiab temple in Prachuap Khiri Khan’s Hua Hin district and insufficient supplies to feed them all, officials are all set to launch a sterilisation programme to keep the numbers down.

Hua Hin Municipality’s Jirawat Prammanee said help had been sought from the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department in neutering the monkeys. The municipality will shoulder the costs, he added.

The plight of the monkeys at the temple came to light when a Bangkok woman, Pimolwan Silpwisetsan, 38, posted on a note on Facebook begging for donations of food for the starving animals.

She said on Monday that she has closed the donation account after raising B116,959. She used the money to buy 100 bags of dog food pellets and water containers for the monkeys at the temple.

She said her voluntary team would monitor and refill foods and water for the monkeys there.

Jirawat added that the municipality would also dispatch water trucks to deliver water for the monkeys at the temple.

Saroj Chanlad, chief of the animal health division of the Prachuap Khiri Khan Livestock Development Office, said there are about 5,000 long-tailed macaques living at three locations in the province.

He said the monkeys had changed their eating behaviour after being fed by tourists. They no longer scavenged for food in the wild and merely waited for hand-outs from tourists.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30367342

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-08

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

the monkeys had changed their eating behaviour after being fed by tourists. They no longer scavenged for food in the wild and merely waited for hand-outs from tourists.

You reap what you sow.

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

her voluntary team would monitor and refill foods and water for the monkeys there.

Monks to busy?

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

Bangkok woman, Pimolwan Silpwisetsan, 38, posted on a note on Facebook begging for donations of food for the starving animals.

This will not change the the behaviour of the "starving animals".

2 hours ago, webfact said:

She used the money to buy 100 bags of dog food pellets and water containers for the monkeys

Dog food pellets .! If I was one of the troop I'd expect nothing less than monkey nuts .. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Jirawat added that the municipality would also dispatch water trucks to deliver water for the monkeys at the temple.

And where is that leading .. The next gen' are gonna be nothing but a load of lazy ling expecting to be waited on hand and foot .. 

4 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Dog food pellets .! If I was one of the troop I'd expect nothing less than monkey nuts .. 

And where is that leading .. The next gen' are gonna be nothing but a load of lazy ling expecting to be waited on hand and foot .. 

Some people are hard to please  :wai: 

My in laws live near Rama 2 and run a prawn and crab business and are plagued with monkeys snakes centipedes and a whole lot more but consider Mr monkey number one dangerous enemy mainly I suppose they are harder to kill with a shovel than a cobra but guessing ????  

Archived