limits on social security benifits at registered hospitals

peeba7

1-Is there a limit on how much I can use/spend from social security hospital coverage?

2-Is there a use, age or sickness cutoff?

3-Anything else I should know regarding this?

Thank you

Nurse said no limit at govt hospitals but I don't take that as official.

4-How about if i were to use the hospital in Si Racha that is private but in the plan and covers some but not all costs, that's if I change hospitals.

5-The above is if I have the info correct, can not recall the hospital name.

1 - No

2 - No. But after you stop working you need to arrange to continue the payments on your own in order to maintain lifetime coverage.

3- there are a few (very few) medications and tests not covered. Mostly these are very new/high tech things and the average person will never run into this.

4 -  I don't understand "the hospital in Si Racha that is private but in the plan and covers some but not all costs". If a private hospital opts to accept SS it has to provide the same range of cover as a government hospital. They are not allowed to do otherwise.

That said, it does sometimes happen that private hospitals which take SS try to contain costs in ways that may not accord with the patient's best interests so need to be on the look out for that and prepared to advocate for yourself if necessary. Government hospitals try to contain costs in general but do not treat SS patients differently from others.

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

2 - No. But after you stop working you need to arrange to continue the payments on your own in order to maintain lifetime coverage.

Sheryl, can you clarify? Above is true only if you are under 55 yrs or have not accumulated 15 years of payments into the system? My understanding was that you can opt to forfeit your monthly retirement pension in return for free medical for the rest of your life (with no more payments), assuming you meet the eligibility requirements. Lots of discussion on this forum and it gets confusing.

Sheryl, can you clarify? Above is true only if you are under 55 yrs or have not accumulated 15 years of payments into the system? My understanding was that you can opt to forfeit your monthly retirement pension in return for free medical for the rest of your life (with no more payments), assuming you meet the eligibility requirements. Lots of discussion on this forum and it gets confusing.

It is true at any age as long as you paid into the system for a year or more.

It has nothing to do with the cash payment option which is in lieu of a small monthly pension. That is an entirely separate aspect of SS from the medical cover.

Some people have run into problems with SS branch office staff providing wrong information. If in any doubt contact the main office. They are usually quite helpful and are the definitive source.

www.sso.gov.th

It is best that you get the pink ID card for foreigners before shifting to self pay of the SS health insurance. Contrary to what SS branch staff and hospital staff often say it is possible to work around not having it but most staff seem not to know how. (The forms have a mandatory field for ID number). For that matter after recent shift to paperless system some hospitals have trouble locating foreigners in their SS database. If so it will be because these are linked/sorted by ID number.

To get a pink ID card you need only your passport and yellow tabian ban. With these it takes just minutes and is free; done at ampur office.

Getting yellow tabian ban can sometimes be a hassle though.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 1:04 PM, Sheryl said:

- No

3- there are a few (very few) medications and tests not covered. Mostly these are very new/high tech things and the average person will never run into this.

Was told recently, that I can't keep going once a year for health check which includes blood work etc for general health.

Paying in 7 years now and this is the only time I go to hospital.

Is the nurse mistaken Sheryl?

Archived