Students drowns at Krabi island during school trip

webfact

Students drowns at Krabi island during school trip

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

1554632761999-1-1024x576.jpg

A student from a school in Narathiwat has drowned at Koh Poda in Krabi while she was on school trip yesterday.

Emergency responders were notified of the incident after girl fell unconscious while she was playing in the water at Koh Poda yesterday afternoon (Sunday).

The female student was later identified as 16 year old Sutanya Narakunmongkon from Narathiwat. She was rushed to Krabi Hospital where she was later pronounced dead.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/krabi/students-drowns-at-krabi-island-during-school-trip

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-04-08

Tragedy, not sure if it was a rip tide thing or an inability to swim thing. I am amazed by the percentage of people who live near water that cannot swim. You'd think they'd be in lessons from infancy. My 8 month old niece is in the pool splashing away already.

14 hours ago, Cereal said:

Tragedy, not sure if it was a rip tide thing or an inability to swim thing. I am amazed by the percentage of people who live near water that cannot swim. You'd think they'd be in lessons from infancy. My 8 month old niece is in the pool splashing away already.

Double edge sword... 

Teach kids how to swim and they lose their fear of water.  Then they're more likely to find themselves over their heads, literally and figuratively.

12 hours ago, impulse said:

Double edge sword... 

Teach kids how to swim and they lose their fear of water.  Then they're more likely to find themselves over their heads, literally and figuratively.

That's true, but if they do they're more likely to be able to get out of trouble. I've had two friends drown, one in a swimming pool in broad daylight in the middle of a party and the other 10 feet from shore in a lake. Neither could swim.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:25 PM, geoffbezoz said:

That is so sad for you to say that. RIP to the student and condolences to her family.

Just reiterating the facts. She wasn't the first nor will she be the last. Perhaps mandatory swim lessons should be enforced at all schools. Why not, could save alot of lives. If i was a native Thai I'd want to know how to swim so I could enjoy the beaches more.

I was a water baby, My mother had me swimming at the Y when I was a toddler. This girl was 16. Sad yes but totally preventable for All Thais.

Unfortunately, driving is a much different story. You can't fix stupid.

On 4/9/2019 at 1:41 AM, TumblinDice said:

Amazing Thailand. The can't drive & they can't swim.

It's a sad fact that one of the biggest causes of child death in Asia is drowning. Teaching kids to swim and/or warning of the dangers of water courses is a low priority here. So many sad stories of drownings which could have been prevented if swimming lessons were given (I had to jump into a resort pool once to rescue a 5 yr old out of his depth). 

Boy Scout lake swimming lesson/rule 101.  We had to use the buddy system.  Two of you must always be close to each other and when the scout master blew the whistle now and then you better hold up each other's hand very quickly.  But still odd that the article says the girl just suddenly fell or collapsed.  Might all just be a coincidence of being in the water an some other medical situation.  The good question is how long was she under water, noticed, etc.  An autopsy should prove if she actually died from fainting then drowning while underwater.  If so, then it is shameful that nobody pulled her head above water quickly enough

Archived