BANGKOK 19 May 2019 19:51
Bountyhuntr

Border run to Myanmar at Ranong border possible?

Hi all,

I am wondering what the current situation is at Ranong / Myanman border for doing a in/out visa run, is it safe to do so? I remember one point in time it was and then it wasn't, thanks all.

Visa runs are currently ok at that border.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Visa runs are currently ok at that border.

Thanks! Do I have to obtain a visa for Myanmar prior to going (ie E-Visa) or can I get the visa on arrival there at the border?

Edited by Bountyhuntr

Just now, Bountyhuntr said:

Thanks! Do I have to obtain a visa prior to going (ie E-Visa) or can I get the visa on arrival?

You don’t need a visa in advance. They will simply stamp you in and out of Myanmar and won’t issue an actual visa.

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You’re only doing a visa run. If you want to enter and travel in Myanmar you need a visa.

Well I am entering Myanmar so normally the rule applies, whether you 'travel' or not. But alright I will take your advice, thanks.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Bountyhuntr said:

Well I am entering Myanmar so normally the rule applies, whether you 'travel' or not. But alright I will take your advice, thanks.

In this case they will give you their equivalent of a Visa Exempt:  Essentially a stamp in, and a stamp out of the country.

If you have maxed out your land border Visa Exempt entries (2 per calendar year), they may require an onwards plane ticket for the 3rd or subsequent one.   My friend went with Kiwi Orchard Tour, and was able to get it arrange quickly.  He was going to Laos next month anyway, so it wasn't a total loss and I think the ticket price was pretty good since the departure date was several weeks out.

I think in your case, this is your first land border Visa Exempt entry?  Nothing to worry about.

BTW, what kind of Thai Visa do you have now?  SETV, METV, SE/ME Non-immigrant?

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

In this case they will give you their equivalent of a Visa Exempt:  Essentially a stamp in, and a stamp out of the country.

If you have maxed out your land border Visa Exempt entries (2 per calendar year), they may require an onwards plane ticket for the 3rd or subsequent one.   My friend went with Kiwi Orchard Tour, and was able to get it arrange quickly.  He was going to Laos next month anyway, so it wasn't a total loss and I think the ticket price was pretty good since the departure date was several weeks out.

I think in your case, this is your first land border Visa Exempt entry?  Nothing to worry about.

BTW, what kind of Thai Visa do you have?  METV, ME Non-immigrant?

Thanks for reply and further information. I had a single entry Tourist Visa, which I extended for 30 days which is about to expire. Yup will be first land border entry this year and I will not be using an agency/tour as I don't think it's required if you are already in the area?

Edited by Bountyhuntr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4evermaat said:

BTW, what kind of Thai Visa do you have now?  SETV, METV, SE/ME Non-immigrant?

don't think they'll let him back in if he has exhausted his 2 per calendar year visa exempt land based entries. If he wants to return for subsequent visa exempt entries, he would have to fly in.

2 hours ago, Bountyhuntr said:

I'm at a UK vitizen, and on the Uk website it states I need a visa prior to travel.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/burma/entry-requirements#visas

If you want to travel within Myanmar, you need a Myanmar visa. However, for a visa run, you only need a Myanmar border pass, available for US$10 (crisp, clean bills) on arrival at Myanmar immigration (or more for those who prefer to pay extra).

• Like 1

I used the border crossing into the Duty Free area at Mae Sot ages ago when I needed one, as I needed to 'leave' the Kingdom; no visa was required as I never 'entered' Myanmar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orchis said:

-Thai immigration exit (questions about exit flight, asked to see booking, I said I didn’t have any/ remarks about 2 borderruns per year/showed me some posted information about this - I agreed with everything he said until he ran out of English words and sent me on my way);

Be aware, the flight is a published-requirement they can demand.  You may also be asked to show 10K Baht in cash (visa-exempt) or 20K Baht if doing a border-bounce with a Multi-Entry Visa.  All should be prepared for the possibility of not being allowed to do this w/o those, as these are "real rules" - not to be confused with the unpublished "past time in country" hokum being cited at some airports.

The warning about 2x/calendar-year visa-exempts by-land is actually a favor to those who are clueless.

• Like 1