Why Do Thai Sales People Tell Me "Farang Cannot Buy Car"?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not married and I bought a car.

Thai sales people don't necessarily like it because it is more paperwork and, therefore, easier to sell to a Thai.

Slightly different but 8 years ago a Toyota showroom told my missus 25% deposit but when they realised she had a Farang partner they said 35% deposit.

it is fairly common for thais to take pretty much anything told to them by family, friends, work colleagues, etc., however absurd, as gospel truth.

annoyingly, after stopping driving but before switching off her car engine my gf turns the aircon fans on full for 20-30 seconds. why do you do that? i asked, because my friend told me i should, was the reply. but why? i asked, i dont know she replied. but she still does it.

What a bunch of lazy bums..."NO", just to avoid the extra paperwork...they should send Big Joke now, who seems to have extra time,  to handle these lazy salesmen !

This article somewhat explains the maze for farangs with cars, purchase, loan, tax etc. etc.

https://www.expatden.com/thailand/buy-car-in-thailand/

Yeah, I got the same thing. Plus, "you need a work permit to register the car."

I am an ex car salesman... so it did not go down well.

Ignorance...... Sigh

Meanwhile, a Thai girl was told, you can have a driving licence without taking the test because you are an Ajarn..... Amazing Thailand.

Because they don't know any better. Sales people in Thailand receive hardly any training and have no interest in doing research on their own, so all they usually know is what's written on the spec sheet of the car.

Another reason is that 99% of Thais buy cars on finance, so if you ask about buying a car they assume you want to finance it. They might know for a foreigner to get a car finance he needs a work permit, or it might work if your Thai wife cosigns the finance deal. So they say that it's not possible if no work permit or married to a Thai, that you might want to pay cash doesn't come into their mind.

To me it's just the norm in LOS, nobody seems to know what they are doing...

Even stuff that is in black and white regarding gov things will vary from district to district yet it is written in black and white for staff to follow....

If this place was where I come from there would be a lot of folk sent on the dole...????

They just have no idea.

When I meet people a lot of them ask with wide eyes,  "how can you stay in Thailand?" like they are completely mystified by airplanes or the fact that people use them to travel to different countries. 

17 hours ago, samsensam said:

it is fairly common for thais to take pretty much anything told to them by family, friends, work colleagues, etc., however absurd, as gospel truth.

annoyingly, after stopping driving but before switching off her car engine my gf turns the aircon fans on full for 20-30 seconds. why do you do that? i asked, because my friend told me i should, was the reply. but why? i asked, i dont know she replied. but she still does it.

your girlfriend is doing the right thing but 20-30 seconds is not long enough to dry out the evaporator which prevents a built-up of potentially dangerous fungus. not everything in Thailand is absurd!

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

your girlfriend is doing the right thing but 20-30 seconds is not long enough to dry out the evaporator which prevents a built-up of potentially dangerous fungus. not everything in Thailand is absurd!

I don't do that on the Roll's....????

3 hours ago, akirasan said:

They just have no idea.

When I meet people a lot of them ask with wide eyes,  "how can you stay in Thailand?" like they are completely mystified by airplanes or the fact that people use them to travel to different countries. 

There are many Thais who have never travelled on an aircraft. Up until 3 years ago, my GF's father ( 86 yo now ) had never travelled outside the village where he was born.

As another poster said, probably the salesperson assumed the car would be financed, and as a farang the OP would not be approved. I've found laying down wads of cash invariably changes people's minds in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, david555 said:

They just want to grant the Thai wife at least half of the car in assets possession , Thai rak Thai solidarity :wink:

Honda leasing never once mentioned about putting out new honda in her name (even though she has a higher income than me), though she was used as my guarantor despite putting down 50% on the car. I think some dealers just can't be bothered or don't want to deal with the paperwork, which is just copies of my wife's information and also my passport, WP copies, etc. It's not much actually. 

4 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

Maybe you had a work permit.

Out here in the provinces ,it's work permit or marriage to a thai that can do the trick

Ditto for driver's license

Obviously in some farang-heavy places officials might bend the rules a little...or more than a little    

no need for bending as such rules don't exist!

5 hours ago, transam said:

To me it's just the norm in LOS, nobody seems to know what they are doing...

Even stuff that is in black and white regarding gov things will vary from district to district yet it is written in black and white for staff to follow....

If this place was where I come from there would be a lot of folk sent on the dole...????

That's the attraction. 

Just now, vinniekintana said:

Maybe you had a work permit.

Out here in the provinces ,it's work permit or marriage to a thai that can do the trick

Ditto for driver's license

Obviously in some farang-heavy places officials might bend the rules a little...or more than a little    

I had nothing. Same for D/L - now towards the end of my third one.

I have been here since age 52 on a retirement extension.

I bought in Buriram.

Interestingly, not being married impacts on getting a yellow book (and therefore ID card) - the head of the Tessaban doesn't like Farangs and will only consider house registration if married.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:53 PM, samsensam said:

I'm just laughing to myself. I am constantly asking my other half...."Who told you that, was if some old Lady with grey hair and no teeth back in your home village" (as I talk in the manner of a witch).

Stuff about everything under the sun from air-cons to computers.    It took about 15 yrs. but now she understands my sarcaism.

Archived