Why Do Thai Sales People Tell Me "Farang Cannot Buy Car"?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Thai issued yellow house registration book along with a Thai ID card . If I go anywhere or buy anything that requires them asking for your passport I get out my issued ID card and present them with it and as yet it has always been accepted no need to go to IMO for a confirmation of address which used to cost 500 baht a time I am a farang married to a farang and I have never had any issues after I got the card issued to me and due to our age we were informed it’s for life we don’t have to renew it .

On 4/9/2019 at 3:36 PM, Naam said:

your girlfriend is doing the right thing but 20-30 seconds is not long enough to dry out the evaporator which prevents a built-up of potentially dangerous fungus. not everything in Thailand is absurd!

That's right! The fan power should go to max, and the ac cooling turned off.

On 4/8/2019 at 10:38 PM, Anythingleft? said:

Ignorance and laziness....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

And abject stupidity.  The Salesperson turns down a commission?  Yeah, that's stupid.

On 4/9/2019 at 1:40 AM, wreckingcountry said:

Who wants to buy their overpriced Tin cans on wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Maybe someone like me who lives here and doesn't want bike.

On 4/9/2019 at 12:05 PM, akirasan said:

They just have no idea.

When I meet people a lot of them ask with wide eyes,  "how can you stay in Thailand?" like they are completely mystified by airplanes or the fact that people use them to travel to different countries. 

They are not that stupid ,they know you can fly here ,come by ship, drive the question was "how can you stay here" They don't know how you can afford to stay here without working. They don't understand about our SS or retirement plans.

Don't know that we can do our jobs remotely from a PC or have rentals in the home country or rich parents. Don't know that offshore oil workers  and others in say USA can make more in a few months than they make in a year and can take time off to stay here.

I visited Chiang May nearly 6 years ago to get a rental house, get my drivers licences look at cars ready for our move there in a few weeks time after that. I went into Honda near airport to look at cars. Ended up walking out owning a car to be collected and paid for on the day after our arrival in CM. I had my DL and I did have a house picked out but can't remember if I had contract at that time. No work permit, no Thai wife, no yellow book. 

Arrived a few weeks later and picked car up. Was told red plates would be a couple weeks but If i were to be fined the dealer would pay. Couple weeks later red plates arrived and fitted. Was then told normal plates would be another 6 weeks. Went back after 6 weeks and not there. Went back many times over the next 6 month. Finally said to them you said 6 weeks but now 6 months. They did some checking. Sales lady had not done paperwork. So a bit paperwork, a few apologies and was sorted.

Not true. I bought a car in my name 2 years ago. No question as to whether I was married or not. As long as you've got the dosh it should be simple. Only thing extra you need is a residence certificate from memory.

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I have a Thai issued yellow house registration book along with a Thai ID card . If I go anywhere or buy anything that requires them asking for your passport I get out my issued ID card and present them with it and as yet it has always been accepted no need to go to IMO for a confirmation of address which used to cost 500 baht a time I am a farang married to a farang and I have never had any issues after I got the card issued to me and due to our age we were informed it’s for life we don’t have to renew it .

Ok, so what does this have to do with buying a car on credit...or have you done so?

On 4/8/2019 at 9:52 PM, Jip99 said:

it is more paperwork and, therefore, easier to sell to a Thai.

This, and some staff simply don't know how to go about it. What to put in the field that asks for Thai ID number, for example.

"Foreigners cannot do X" often  means this, whether it is buying a car, opening a bank account, transferring money or whatever.

Sometimes just being (politely) firm and making it clear that you know that foreigners can, indeed, do this will work.

On 4/9/2019 at 8:27 AM, jackdd said:

that you might want to pay cash doesn't come into their mind.

And if you do want to pay cash then suddenly the car you want isn't available, because dealers sell a finance deal for their commission. If there is no finance deal they aren't interested in selling you the car.

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This, and some staff simply don't know how to go about it. What to put in the field that asks for Thai ID number, for example.

"Foreigners cannot do X" often  means this, whether it is buying a car, opening a bank account, transferring money or whatever.

Sometimes just being (politely) firm and making it clear that you know that foreigners can, indeed, do this will work.

Indeed. 

That is what I did when buying my first motocy when they said "Farang cannot buy".

I told them that Farang buy and I just needed to find out what the process was. If they found out the process first, call me - if not I will find out and, if I haven't found a better bike, I shall return.

Came on to Thai Visa, read threads and how to go about it and went back 3 days later. The sales girl had to phone Bangkok? but we got the job done.

On 4/9/2019 at 3:36 PM, Naam said:

your girlfriend is doing the right thing but 20-30 seconds is not long enough to dry out the evaporator which prevents a built-up of potentially dangerous fungus. not everything in Thailand is absurd!

You are facing a tough battle on this forum.  The Thai bashers are out in force !  Makes them feel good to live in a place where everyone are idiots except them

Or, how about some Thais realize that your stay is most likely  temporary, (as in one year extension) regardless of any other factors. And, may not want to be caught holding the bag....if you're trying to finance...

P.S.  Been here 20 years, bought six vehicles, married to a Thai. Good income, paid for house/land usually sealed the deal.  Wanted was the usual 15-20% down payment (the more the merrier). Nothing else mattered. 

On 3/19/2019 at 9:20 AM, mickymouse1 said:

On 4/8/2019 at 9:53 PM, samsensam said:

it is fairly common for thais to take pretty much anything told to them by family, friends, work colleagues, etc., however absurd, as gospel truth.

annoyingly, after stopping driving but before switching off her car engine my gf turns the aircon fans on full for 20-30 seconds. why do you do that? i asked, because my friend told me i should, was the reply. but why? i asked, i dont know she replied. but she still does it.

My neighbour does that with his air con. He's  a car salesman.

1 hour ago, rumak said:

You are facing a tough battle on this forum.  The Thai bashers are out in force !  Makes them feel good to live in a place where everyone are idiots except them

And that includes other farang so they believe it appears.

Typically they hire young cute girls who will be on the job at most 3 to 6 months and could care less, one just never takes these things serious. Ask for the manager and just ask do you what to sale this car. As far as extra paper work I think not I have registered 2 bikes and one car in my name and all the same as thai except for the letter of residence.

By the way today saw a funny sight 3 farangs on a motor bike actually a Click. No more complaining about 3 Thais ona bike. My wife went into historics about it she says and farang complain about Thai people.

I had the same experience fifteen years in Pattaya when buying a new Mitsubishi for cash.

Girlfriend at the time happened to be with me (no problem with her about it). I was told it had to be put in her name as ferangs couldn't  buy cars.

When I stood up and said I was going to the other Mitsubishi dealer to buy the same pickup from them, in order to put it in my name, they backed down immediately.

So that wasn't a case of 'not being aware', they were blatantly lying to me.

On 4/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, samsensam said:

it is fairly common for thais to take pretty much anything told to them by family, friends, work colleagues, etc., however absurd, as gospel truth.

Correct, they also do not believe anything told to them by a farang even their husbands. Until they f it up and find out the hard way the husband/farang was telling them correctly and the family, friends A.N.Other Thai was talking mince.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:53 PM, samsensam said:

annoyingly, after stopping driving but before switching off her car engine my gf turns the aircon fans on full for 20-30 seconds. why do you do that? i asked, because my friend told me i should, was the reply. but why? i asked, i dont know she replied. but she still does it.

Exactly ! Thai still live as if Internet didn't exist, they are happy to know nothing and learn nothing.

But about the car aircon, I could not find any info online (becoming Thai :-) ) but I think that it's correct to try to dry humidity in aircon to avoid moisture and germs.

Archived