Why Do Thai Sales People Tell Me "Farang Cannot Buy Car"?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

I bought a new Honda 2 years ago and the young lady said I was the nicest and easiest customer she had ever met jing jing she threw in loads of extras for free

Easy being the "operative" word??

2 hours ago, myshem said:

about the car aircon, I could not find any info online (becoming Thai ???? ) but I think that it's correct to try to dry humidity in aircon to avoid moisture and germs.

in the U.S. all aircons in homes have a timer that keeps the fan running for up to 5 minutes after the compressor switched off. reason: drying out the evaporator to prevent fungus built-up.

samsensam said:

it is fairly common for thais to take pretty much anything told to them by family, friends, work colleagues, etc., however absurd, as gospel truth.

i learned (participating 13 years in Thaivisa) that it is fairly common for expats to believe anything they were told by other expats and neglect advice from locals. and if Thais do anything they don't understand they shoot from the hip and are annoyed.

:coffee1:

samsensam said:

annoyingly, after stopping driving but before switching off her car engine my gf turns the aircon fans on full for 20-30 seconds. why do you do that?

I think it's mostly due to confusion since all Thais need finance to buy a car, and as we all know foreigners can not get finance without a work permit .

But we can afford to pay for the car in cash, and all car dealers knows this but not the uneducated staff hired in by the dealers to shows etc.  

On 4/8/2019 at 10:05 PM, akirasan said:

They just have no idea.

When I meet people a lot of them ask with wide eyes,  "how can you stay in Thailand?" like they are completely mystified by airplanes or the fact that people use them to travel to different countries. 

Maybe mystified someone has that kind of moola.

On 4/11/2019 at 6:40 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

True story…. The Mercedes Benz salesgirl said that if I bought the car I get her too..... Most expensive short time ever!

Must have been a very nice cash "bonus" in it for the sales bird.....????

My wife and I went to a Mitsubishi Dealer in Loei and inquired about buying a new Athlete Pickup (cash) and putting it in my name.

We were told that a Falang has to live here for more than 1 year in order to buy a new truck and put it in his name.  The salesperson and the manager suggested that I come back in a couple more months (I had only been here 10 months at that point) and then they could assist us.

I politely thanked him and then drove down the road and bought a used Toyota instead.  

Funny how some Thai's let a cash paying customer walk right out the door (along with a easy sales commision) without giving it any further thought.

it is fairly common for thais to take pretty much anything told to them by family, friends, work colleagues, etc., however absurd, as gospel truth.

annoyingly, after stopping driving but before switching off her car engine my gf turns the aircon fans on full for 20-30 seconds. why do you do that? i asked, because my friend told me i should, was the reply. but why? i asked, i dont know she replied. but she still does it.

Love to know the rationale.
Tell her to ask her friend again

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Love to know the rationale.
Tell her to ask her friend again

One rationale was already mentioned in the thread. Leaving fans (but not the aircon itself) running will remove moisture from the system and prevent bacteria growth which can in turn result in bad smell. Better house aircons also run the fan for a bit after you press the turn-off button.

On 4/9/2019 at 11:38 AM, Pilotman said:

You have just got to come to the conclusion that an awful lot are not only badly educated, but pretty dumb as well. 

Hmmmm. Ignorance and stupidity are different things but with uneducated folks it's often difficult to distinguish.

In America it's common to see Americans speaking very loudly to non-natives with the implication being that this will help them understand English. Ignorance or stupidity? I have observed this foible in other countries as well. Ironically I've never seen a Thai do this to a farang.

Lack of education is crippling people all over the world. 

20 hours ago, eisfeld said:

One rationale was already mentioned in the thread. Leaving fans (but not the aircon itself) running will remove moisture from the system and prevent bacteria growth which can in turn result in bad smell. Better house aircons also run the fan for a bit after you press the turn-off button.

That actually makes sense. But in this case it was explicitly stated "before turning off the engine" which means the compressor is still running.

Still, I get your point.

I've seen people doing this in States where it is very hot, like Texas, when they will be leaving the car for only a few minutes. The idea is that the interior won't be so hot when they return.

That's mostly wishful thinking though because air has practically no thermal mass and heats quite quickly from insolation and a closed car is basically a big solar collector.

On 4/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, Dazinoz said:

So a bit paperwork, a few apologies and was sorted.

I bought my car six years ago, house book, only confirmation of address. Nobody told me about the 'BlueBook', and it never arrived either (they had my phone number, they knew where I lived, they had my email address). Tried to go to Laos with the car, that ended up as a bit of a disaster, only then did I become aware that there was a thing called a "BlueBook". 

Yes, a few apologies and it was sorted, THEY THOUGHT! I jumped up and down, they then REALLY apologised, changed procedures at the car place to avoid that from happening again and I got free service for two years. People and companies only 'learn' when it costs them $$$$$, my opinion...

On 4/16/2019 at 8:42 AM, RocketDog said:
On 4/15/2019 at 11:55 AM, eisfeld said:

That actually makes sense. But in this case it was explicitly stated "before turning off the engine" which means the compressor is still running.

not necessarily as any a/c system can be switched to "fan only".

On 4/18/2019 at 6:30 AM, Naam said:

For sure it can. I actually did this on my car the other day after a run to the IO for my 90 day 'checkup'.

The compressor had a separate switch so I turned it off and let the fan  run until the air was warm. I also turned the air circulation lever to let in outside air during that minute or so.

I learn something new every day!

7 minutes ago, RocketDog said:
On 4/18/2019 at 6:30 AM, Naam said:

For sure it can. I actually did this on my car the other day after a run to the IO for my 90 day 'checkup'.

The compressor had a separate switch so I turned it off and let the fan  run until the air was warm. I also turned the air circulation lever to let in outside air during that minute or so.

I learn something new every day!

that's exactly what i said. lost your reading glasses? :smile:

7 minutes ago, Naam said:

that's exactly what i said. lost your reading glasses? :smile:

Sorry. What I said is an American way of agreeing with you and earnestly corroborating your point.

As in " It can be done". Reply:

"For sure man, and we'll do it."

And we wonder why countries go to war.  Misunderstanding is more common than understanding it seems.

BTW, luckily I don't need reading glasses. Most of my life I was near-sighted (-4 diopter) but didn't ever jump on the eye surgery bandwagon.

The last few years my vision has actually improved as I became more far-sighted. Now my error is -2 diopter and I can see at distance better.

I'm thankful for this as I do a lot of computer work and work with tools. Before I retired I did lots of electronics work with tiny components. 

I only put on glasses for driving and and TV.

I feel a bit smug at 69 years when my 45yo GF pulls out her glasses to read a pill bottle that I can read just fine.

Archived