UK parliament approves Brexit law forcing May to consult on delay

webfact

5 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Those votes have to go somewhere and there is a huge vacuum waiting to suck up the disenfranchised Tory and Labour voters.

UKIP sucked up 4m in 2015.

I have always voted Conservative but I will think long and hard next time. The one redeeming feature for the Tory party is that my sitting MP has done a good job and she has voted consistently on Brexit.

I could not countenance voted for Labour with Corbyn at the helm - so would I consider voting UKIP ?

Yes. I would consider it.

63,400 people in Newport West just had the opportunity to vote for UKIP yet only 2,200 did. I think that tells us something.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, tebee said:

Not to that one, but a similar one 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/just-16-per-cent-of-under35s-would-vote-conservative-study-finds-a4111631.html

Young persons comment on this:-

I mean, yeah.  

After the Tories spend years trashing/ignoring pretty every single thing that young voters (under 35), think is important/relevant while santimousilly lecturing them about millennials and avocados, they won't vote for them.

Surprise.

I reckon them that don't defect to either the Brexit parties or ChangeUK whatever it's called, won't bother voting at all, what is the point, our votes are worthless. If this doesn't knock the stuffing out of the electorate, nothing will.

51 minutes ago, Basil B said:

With the two largest parties sitting on the fence...

So it would either force them to choose sides or the Brexit party will clean up????

Either way it gives the public the opportunity to vote and question those MP's who stand for whatever. I can imagine that there would be quite a few MP's who would do less canvassing knowing that they have ignored the electorate previously in 2017.

5 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

63,400 people in Newport West just had the opportunity to vote for UKIP yet only 2,200 did. I think that tells us something.

It tells us that you can pin a red rosette on a turnip and Labour voters will still vote for it.

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

I reckon them that don't defect to either the Brexit parties or ChangeUK whatever it's called, won't bother voting at all, what is the point, our votes are worthless. If this doesn't knock the stuffing out of the electorate, nothing will.

This from someone who has spent almost three years telling us the votes of the 16million plus Remain supporters don't matter.

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

You vote for a farce and the resulting predictable humiliation strengthens your resolve.

I wonder what future farce and humiliation will this new resolve of yours go looking for?!

I didn't vote for a farce - others turned it into one...........a Whitehall farce....

Just now, Nigel Garvie said:

Not fair really, though it's a tricky topic, the nutter made it totally clear that he was inspired by Brexit rhetoric. Trump dismisses white supremacist mass murderers as "Just isolated nutters", all of them! I am not claiming for one moment that Jo Cox's killer was a typical brexiteer - that would be stupid, but the inspiration has to come from somewhere. People can't just wash their hands and say "nothing to do with us". We should be careful what we say, there are always people around who get worked up by inflammatory talk. 

I don't believe in whitewashing it - but I certainly do not agree with cheap political mileage being made out of it either.

Just now, Baerboxer said:

You raise a good point. The people of the EU have never been asked if they want "ever closer union" with federalization, more bureaucratic central control, and a capital in tin pot Belgium.

Perhaps that should have been a question? Rather than making assumption after assumption, spreading lie after lie, and deciding to leave rather than trying to be more forceful?

The UK has given in to a small group of politicians who want to create their vision without any regard for the wishes off millions of people. Wouldn't it be more sensible to challenge and fight that? And then only leave if the fight is lost? 

Didn't Cameron try and was rebuffed ?

Just now, Blue Muton said:

Only 37% of the electorate bothered to turn out in Newport.

Anyone who makes an assessment on the voting off that base is rather foolish.

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

It's always  somebody else's fault.

It wasn't my doing..... why are you so insistent on blaming "the people" for a shambles caused by politicians.

Brexit should have been far more straight forward....... otherwise the EU mandarins would not have devised Article 50.

Just now, Blue Muton said:

It tells us the UKIP vote increased by 6.1%.

That is what it tells us.

Labour down 13%, Tories down 8%....................... that also tells us something.

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Those votes have to go somewhere and there is a huge vacuum waiting to suck up the disenfranchised Tory and Labour voters.

UKIP sucked up 4m in 2015.

I have always voted Conservative but I will think long and hard next time. The one redeeming feature for the Tory party is that my sitting MP has done a good job and she has voted consistently on Brexit.

I could not countenance voted for Labour with Corbyn at the helm - so would I consider voting UKIP ?

Yes. I would consider it.

It is sad that the labour party felt they needed to vote for someone out of looney tunes.

Surely there must be someone with half a brain.

And surely someone must replace Ms May. 

5 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Wrong..with riots in france..france and germany teetering towards recession..italy almost a basket case the same as greece..massive disgraceful unemployment in various eu countries..IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THE AUTOCRATIC CORRUPT EU NEED BRITISH TAXPAYERS MONEY to " feed " the eu subsidy junkie member states!!!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

everybody needs money, except the UK which is doing splendidly, exports roaring away, soon all the stabbings and homeless will disappear like magic. The can will stop rolling at EU re-entry should brexit ever happen, the Russians and Americans want it to happen so brexit can't be quite right somehow.

10 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Theresa May needs to go. She is an absolute disgrace. The sooner the better.

Call a GE and lets these MPO's stand up and say what they are about and give the people the choice to select them or show them the door. That's the sensible and democratic thing.

We have already had a referendum before the remainers start calling for another and we haven't even enacted upon that one.

Well this remainer has been saying that a general election is the way forward and not a second referendum.  So say's almost all the remainers I know.  But it does beg the question of just who would there be to vote for?  If it is the same shower that we have now then could we trust any of them to do as they say?  I agree that May should go as well but there is no appetite from the other MPs to step up until AFTER the Brexit chaos is over.

Therefore a delay of Brexit would seem sensible while we have a leadership change.  Then a general election directly afterwards.  It would be interesting to then see who the Tories backed as the new PM.  Put Boris in and then see if the Tories win?  Or Gove?  Who is going to trust those turncoats?  It could easily be the death nail for the Tories if they get it wrong.

They all wasted 2 years of valuable discussion time, too much infighting & no clear mandate of their requests to the EU. The EU obviously do not want Brexit & understand why they will not make it easy. But they could do an about face & just approve OUT

1 hour ago, Prissana Pescud said:

It is sad that the labour party felt they needed to vote for someone out of looney tunes.

Surely there must be someone with half a brain.

And surely someone must replace Ms May. 

Plenty of Hard Brexiteers fitting the half-brain description.

6 minutes ago, natway09 said:

They all wasted 2 years of valuable discussion time, too much infighting & no clear mandate of their requests to the EU. The EU obviously do not want Brexit & understand why they will not make it easy. But they could do an about face & just approve OUT

It's easy, in hindsight, to see how naively May and her team of Brexiteer negotiators got it so wrong.  Apart from the obvious, that Brexit should have been negotiated before we had the referendum, setting red lines on day one was profoundly stupid.  Cross party talks should have been held years ago and most importantly it should have been acknowledged early on that the promised Brexit was never going to be deliverable.

As it is, they fudged and lied their way up a chaotic creek with no paddle and no plan of how to get one.

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

It tells us the UKIP vote increased by 6.1%.

That is what it tells us.

Labour down 13%, Tories down 8%....................... that also tells us something.

UKIP's peak performance in Newport West was in 2105 when they polled 15.2% of the vote, more than double this last showing. 

So with Brexit all over the news, the Brexit deal being discussed day and night and the Brexit that Brexiteers voted for hanging in the balance UKIP managed to bring out 6.1% of the vote.

If there hadn't been such a pitiful showing for Farage's 'Jarrow march' and such anaemic attendance at the recent Pro-Brexit marches in London I would have said one data point doesn't make a trend. 

UKIP and Brexit are done. 

UKIP's peak performance in Newport West was in 2105 when they polled 15.2% of the vote, more than double this last showing. 

So with Brexit all over the news, the Brexit deal being discussed day and night and the Brexit that Brexiteers voted for hanging in the balance UKIP managed to bring out 6.1% of the vote.

If there hadn't been such a pitiful showing for Farage's 'Jarrow march' and such anaemic attendance at the recent Pro-Brexit marches in London I would have said one data point doesn't make a trend. 

UKIP and Brexit are done. 

YOU WISH !!!!!

May I repectfully ask you what you have against the USA???
Russia I can easily understand as I see putin as a totally control freak..but wait a minute..I could easily say the same re the brussels eu crowd.

everybody needs money, except the UK which is doing splendidly, exports roaring away, soon all the stabbings and homeless will disappear like magic. The can will stop rolling at EU re-entry should brexit ever happen, the Russians and Americans want it to happen so brexit can't be quite right somehow.

And I betya that they're really looking forward to many NEW EUROSCEPTIC mep's from various countries who will join together to ' rip the ar$e out of further intigration..eu paper tiger army..trying to take sovereignty away from eu member states..will be great reading..can't wait [emoji23][emoji6][emoji23]

I hear the EU is offering the UK an extension of A50 to the end of the year. 

I don't think they've been specific about which year.

Maybe we should look again at  May's deal.  That is the one JRM, Johnson, Gove, Raab and the rest have said they will vote for.

That would leave us half in and half out, still abiding by EU rules and regulations with a customs union in everything but name.  For this we hand over 39 billion pounds but would be expected to pay in after Brexit also.  And of course no seat at the table.  A truly vassal state.

Now imagine that was the sales pitch for the Brexit campaigners before the referendum with the £39 billion divorce bill on the side of the bus.  How many people would have voted for that result?  Very few if any at all.  And yet that is what the Brexiteer MPs are prepared to vote for now and all in the name of the 17 million who DIDN'T vote for any such thing!

10 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Maybe we should look again at  May's deal.  That is the one JRM, Johnson, Gove, Raab and the rest have said they will vote for.

That would leave us half in and half out, still abiding by EU rules and regulations with a customs union in everything but name.  For this we hand over 39 billion pounds but would be expected to pay in after Brexit also.  And of course no seat at the table.  A truly vassal state.

Now imagine that was the sales pitch for the Brexit campaigners before the referendum with the £39 billion divorce bill on the side of the bus.  How many people would have voted for that result?  Very few if any at all.  And yet that is what the Brexiteer MPs are prepared to vote for now and all in the name of the 17 million who DIDN'T vote for any such thing!

Poetic justice for the Brexit Ultras. They vote for a deal that makes us the vassal state we weren't, but who they insisted we were. But their fan base will of course ignore that and cheer them on regardless.

42 minutes ago, baboon said:

Poetic justice for the Brexit Ultras. They vote for a deal that makes us the vassal state we weren't, but who they insisted we were. But their fan base will of course ignore that and cheer them on regardless.

And yet, knowing that, it is likely that one of these clowns will end up as PM.  Although not for long if there is a GE.

Archived