Chalong underpass

Badrabbit

They've created what seems to be a permanent u-turn spot for traffic on Chaofa West northbound. I hope this doesn't mean that the roundabout won't be available for cars exiting Patak Road.

As an aside, I wonder how long it'll take to finish the job. The airport underpass, for example, opened a long time ago but still cars from the airport have to turn left and u-turn instead of turning right and construction is now at a snail's pace.

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

<snip>

As an aside, I wonder how long it'll take to finish the job. The airport underpass, for example, opened a long time ago but still cars from the airport have to turn left and u-turn instead of turning right and construction is now at a snail's pace.

Yes, I can't under stand why the overpass deck not in operation ?

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

From Kata could go straight to the pier road this morning, other way round as well.

I hope that didn't mean you turned right at the roundabout! ????

But that's good news. That route was blocked off this afternoon. They were also tarmacking the underpass road.

This morning from Kata to Chalong Pier had to make the U-turn, but the one close by, maybe 100 meters or so. From Chalong Pier to Kata could drive straight through over the circle. So also Chao Fa East and West to Kata can turn right at the circle.

Still many taking the short cut, stopping traffic on Patak Road, even though the circle will be the fastest and most comfortable way.

My first trip down to roundabout in a while. Yes, there is a u-turn back for Rawai/Chaofa Wast, but it's not so bad. The very good news is that the circle allows all traffic from roundabout back up Patak Road. Good enough for me. 

Edit ... not so sure about from Pier Road to Patak

4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

My first trip down to roundabout in a while. Yes, there is a u-turn back for Rawai/Chaofa Wast, but it's not so bad. The very good news is that the circle allows all traffic from roundabout back up Patak Road. Good enough for me. 

Edit ... not so sure about from Pier Road to Patak

Was at Kan Eang @Pier last night, and was able to use roundabout to get onto Chaofa West, so obviously the Patak turn off is open as well.

On 4/9/2019 at 12:23 PM, LivinginKata said:

Yes, I can't under stand why the overpass deck not in operation ?

Went to the airport today and notced that they have now installed traffic lights at the main junction so hopefully this junction will be functioing properly very soon.

On 4/15/2019 at 4:43 PM, Badrabbit said:

Don't think the underpass is needed going by how great that area is now with the bigger roundabout etc certainly looking good.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

agreed, looks like the whole thing was 3 years and billions of baht wasted when all that was needed was the road widening a bit

3 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

agreed, looks like the whole thing was 3 years and billions of baht wasted when all that was needed was the road widening a bit

Ah but someone "high up" needed to improve their bank balance, so a skim here and a skim there works wonders.

1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

The main problem will be Police control, keep them sipping tea rather than causing a huge problem trying to control traffic!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agree. They don't understand that traffic is supposed to merge on roundabouts and you don't let one lane through at a time. That's why the traffic lights lasted all of one day there before being switched off permanently. It's a shame we can't switch the BIB off permanently!

Has anyone else noticed that the new Chalong hospital is only accessible to traffic traveling south to the circle along Chai Fa West? This to me is the biggest possible oversight about the new circle - I can't see how traffic coming from any of the other 4 roads joining haayek will access the hospital without a possibly dangerous u-turn further up Chao Fa West?

2 hours ago, RedCardinal said:

Has anyone else noticed that the new Chalong hospital is only accessible to traffic traveling south to the circle along Chai Fa West? This to me is the biggest possible oversight about the new circle - I can't see how traffic coming from any of the other 4 roads joining haayek will access the hospital without a possibly dangerous u-turn further up Chao Fa West?

Agree but I can't see any other way they can arrange this without demolishing the police station and creating an entrance from Chaofa East. Now there's an idea!

Archived