Chalong underpass

Badrabbit

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

Agree but I can't see any other way they can arrange this without demolishing the police station and creating an entrance from Chaofa East. Now there's an idea!

They can enter the hospital from the police station entrance on Choafa east.  The land where the hospital sits used to be the police holding yard for all the smashed cars from horrific accidents. 

So it has a East and West entrance. 

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:57 AM, hansgruber said:

They can enter the hospital from the police station entrance on Choafa east.  The land where the hospital sits used to be the police holding yard for all the smashed cars from horrific accidents. 

So it has a East and West entrance. 

Looking at Google Earth, I can't see an access way between the police station and the hospital, There seem to be buildings completely blocking the north side of the station.

Historical imagery does show some wrecked vehicles on the hospital site, but no indication that they were taken there directly from the station.

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

chalong.JPG

23 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Looking at Google Earth, I can't see an access way between the police station and the hospital, There seem to be buildings completely blocking the north side of the station.

Historical imagery does show some wrecked vehicles on the hospital site, but no indication that they were taken there directly from the station.

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

chalong.JPG

You're right. A new building has popped up behind the police housing. 

The alternative they can use is the blind massage government building right at the U-turn exit. It's part of the same grounds. Solves the problem. 

IMG_20190421_080959.jpg

IMG_20190421_081207.jpg

I was wondering what that building was.  

My thoughts are similar. I thought they could enter the hospital grounds over the tunnel roof just before the open section.

A traffic light controlled by the emergency vehicles could stop the southbound traffic allowing them to cross just north of that building.

41 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I was wondering what that building was.  

My thoughts are similar. I thought they could enter the hospital grounds over the tunnel roof just before the open section.

A traffic light controlled by the emergency vehicles could stop the southbound traffic allowing them to cross just north of that building.

A traffic light controlled by the emergency vehicle? Come on, that's 21st century technology and Thailand is still in the 1960s when it comes to traffic control! Computers? Can't trust those, let's send the police out...they can do a much better job!

1 minute ago, madmitch said:

A traffic light controlled by the emergency vehicle? Come on, that's 21st century technology and Thailand is still in the 1960s when it comes to traffic control! Computers? Can't trust those, let's send the police out...they can do a much better job!

It was a little tongue in cheek. 

However, I can recall, near to where I lived 40 years ago (20th century), a fire station situated on a very busy 4 way intersection that could turn all traffic lights red when they had a callout. 

On 4/21/2019 at 8:15 AM, hansgruber said:

The alternative they can use is the blind massage government building right at the U-turn exit. It's part of the same grounds. Solves the problem.

The entrance to that building is before the exit from the u-turn. Even if this is possible, the lack of any prep work here most likely indicates they have no plan to do this.

Pretty sad that they build a new hospital here, and then make no plans to integrate it into the traffic management plan for the area. 

51 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

The entrance to that building is before the exit from the u-turn. Even if this is possible, the lack of any prep work here most likely indicates they have no plan to do this.

Pretty sad that they build a new hospital here, and then make no plans to integrate it into the traffic management plan for the area. 

Also pretty sad the build a new hospital then do not use it

On 4/24/2019 at 8:20 AM, RedCardinal said:

I just went past and had a look. There is an exit for the blind massage building just after the U-turn. Check next time you go past. The green gate. 

No reason an ambulance could turn into their exit and access the hospital. 

Thanks for the pictures.

It certainly illustrates how narrow the tunnel is and that the danger of collision is very likely. Someone said there will be no traffic dividers, because it is too narrow?

I hope those wall friezes don't distract drivers.

39 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

The hospital is just an empty shell? I read in the thread about dog biting that the poster was treated there.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The emergency center, the separate building in front, has been operating for over a year. They can treat and stabilize patients before sending them to Vachira for admission.

Phitos can be deceptive but it does look a bit on the small side.

It could be reminiscent of the traffic reports when I lived in London. Once a week or so a lorry that was too high managed to get stuck in Blackwall Tunnel.

15 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Thanks for the pictures.

It certainly illustrates how narrow the tunnel is and that the danger of collision is very likely. Someone said there will be no traffic dividers, because it is too narrow?

I hope those wall friezes don't distract drivers.

They can't put dividers for safety reasons funny enough. It would be mayhem if a lane gets blocked and traffic banked up behind it all. Especially in a fire. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

The roundabout looked lovely with its coloured lights this morning at 5am, completion seems to be slowly slowly, don't understand why the roundabout is still not open to traffic coming from Kata, maybe waiting for resurfacing.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Still looks like a lot of artwork to do. Not sure about the plinths at the bottom the lights as they may be sticking out a bit. Even if not the penchant for giving everything a wide berth could make it tricky

Archived