What has happened to Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce?

alant

For months now Lea and Perrins has been absent from the shelves in Thailand, does anyone know what is going on?

Heinz will not comment, I have been given a number or reasons largely about batch failure in quality but as the product is widely available in other ASEAN countries these reasons do not seem to hold water.

I have of course, my own ideas but they are pure speculation, so I am asking if anyone knows the REAL reason and if at all possible when it will return.

Many thanks.

5 minutes ago, alant said:

Lea and Perrins has been absent from the shelves in Thailand

How do you know this? How many stores have you checked to see if this is the case? 

You don't mention in which area you live.

Phitsanulok TOPS and Makro have it as recently as last week.

Have you asked the shop(s) where you normally buy it?  Over the years here, I've had a few products that I came to like and they were always available, and then for some reason, just go away, never to be seen again.    

Freshmart manager told me once it's often a logistics/supply chain issue either to Thailand itself, or with the Bangkok hub.  I also speculate that not all Thai supermarket ordering staff are created equal. 

I have also had problems trying to find L&P Worcestershire sauce.

My local Foodland has not had it on the shelves for about 4 months now and when I asked about this I was told that there was a temporary supply problem.

They did have some American made Worcestershire sauce but nothing matches the original.

I did find some L&P in Tesco Lotus but I don't think that all of their stores stock it.

Why don't you try the Thai version known as "Tra Gy-Nguang" or Turkey brand Worcester Sauce.

It may not be quite the same as L and P but I have eaten it for years and at a fraction of the cost. It tastes delicious on my Lidl's Cheddar and onion toasts. 

Regards,

Rooster

26 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Why don't you try the Thai version known as "Tra Gy-Nguang" or Turkey brand Worcester Sauce.

It may not be quite the same as L and P but I have eaten it for years and at a fraction of the cost. It tastes delicious on my Lidl's Cheddar and onion toasts. 

Regards,

Rooster

24 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Never see it in Tesco. See it in Macro.

There is a Thai version of Worcester Sauce available in Tesco. Slightly different to the original but I like it.

I also use it.

Very good for marinating meat.

5 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

How do you know this? How many stores have you checked to see if this is the case? 

You don't mention in which area you live.

Phitsanulok TOPS and Makro have it as recently as last week.

Fare comment, the stores I frequent are in Chiang Mai plus every on line store I have tried states out of stock, these stretch as far as Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok.

Great news that Phitsanulok have it, may decide to have a trip down.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Nothing has happened to it.  I get it in Big C, Tesco or TOPS.  Quite a few independent outlets stock it too.   

something definitely happened, the whole of Chiang Mai was out of stock and my trip to Makro last week still without. Non in Tesco / Big C / Tops the smaller "they always have it" shops around here that I could find. Happy you had no problems

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

According to above posters, it's obviously available. Personally I'd recommend op to get used to the local seasonings, instead of the overpriced imported stuff.

I have tried a range of them, for my taste they are not the same, not even close. Others may taste different but the copy brands don't do it for me

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Have you asked the shop(s) where you normally buy it?  Over the years here, I've had a few products that I came to like and they were always available, and then for some reason, just go away, never to be seen again.    

Freshmart manager told me once it's often a logistics/supply chain issue either to Thailand itself, or with the Bangkok hub.  I also speculate that not all Thai supermarket ordering staff are created equal. 

I am in Chiang Mai so my shops are there. Main source Makro but if required Tesco, Yok,  Tops and Rimping. I have been told it's a quality issue but I have problems believing. I know it is available in other ASEAN countries as I get messages having a laugh at my expense about not being able to get it. Logistics highly unlikely to be a problem, it is a Kraft / Heinz company.

I suspect issues with distribution arrangement but that is a guess.

9 minutes ago, alant said:

something definitely happened, the whole of Chiang Mai was out of stock and my trip to Makro last week still without. Non in Tesco / Big C / Tops the smaller "they always have it" shops around here that I could find. Happy you had no problems

Now you have got me  worried.  Haven't bought a bottle for about 5 weeks and I'm running out. My World renowned 'spicy baked pork with mushrooms and cheese', would just not be the same if the marinade doesn't have L & P in it.  

2 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Never see it in Tesco. See it in Macro.

There is a Thai version of Worcester Sauce available in Tesco. Slightly different to the original but I like it.

image.jpeg.56672f1b6b8dbd1acb83ce5a383b6a99.jpeg35847097_1743427765707049_8672061290186801152_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQmHgNihLHu77poBF6aJlvsICeqxQypcXYey1N_InwAA2-XUw10vk8fijbfhEjr5JPE&_nc_ht=scontent-sin6-2.xx&oh=28f48865374940fa26b88e7a174e8f61&oe=5D2FB585

https://www.facebook.com/pg/GyNguang/photos/?tab=album&album_id=563198730396631

Image may contain: drink and indoor

Yes i have always used the orange label. Never seen the other one or not noticed it. I have myopia when it comes to such important issues..

Just been writing the latest Big Joke news. Why can't the world understand that Worcester Sauce is much more important?

Rooster

2 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Regards,

Rooster

Tried, not to my taste

The places that still have them might be old stock, the more heavily farang populated area like Bangkok and Pattaya and even Chiang Mai is probably gone until the supplier issue can be resolved.

Villa market import their own 'grey market' stuff not from the distributor so they probably saw the shortage and start importing their own a few months back, maybe at a premium even but without the usual price to compare we won't notice. 

Archived