What has happened to Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce?

alant

44 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Fair enough.

I grew up on Marmite....now I crave Vegemite.

As a kid I only had margarine.....now I love butter.

But don't take away my malt vinegar!

Rooster

Sounds like you're a closet Sarsonist. ????????

2 hours ago, alant said:

I am in Chiang Mai so my shops are there. Main source Makro but if required Tesco, Yok,  Tops and Rimping. I have been told it's a quality issue but I have problems believing. I know it is available in other ASEAN countries as I get messages having a laugh at my expense about not being able to get it. Logistics highly unlikely to be a problem, it is a Kraft / Heinz company.

I suspect issues with distribution arrangement but that is a guess.

If the drought continues, there's always Lazada. 

image.png.106b5b5e8fff9afa45d02eaa34bab8cd.png

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/the-original-genuine-lea-perrins-worcestershire-sauce

6 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

I have also had problems trying to find L&P Worcestershire sauce.

My local Foodland has not had it on the shelves for about 4 months now and when I asked about this I was told that there was a temporary supply problem.

They did have some American made Worcestershire sauce but nothing matches the original.

I've had several different managers at my local Foodland store in BKK tell me on different occasions that particular products they'd stocked for a long time were "no longer available" or "can't order anymore from supplier" -- only to find the same products being sold much later at other Foodland branches and even at other markets.  So clearly, they were either lying or didn't know what they were talking about.

These days, I don't trust or rely on what they tell me one little bit.

I conclude, from this, that no one really knows what has happened with the supply of L&P Worcestershire Sauce. BUT with luck the product may be starting to reappear on shelves. 

15 hours ago, alant said:

Fare comment, the stores I frequent are in Chiang Mai plus every on line store I have tried states out of stock, these stretch as far as Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok.

Great news that Phitsanulok have it, may decide to have a trip down.

I agree with you, me and a few expat friends  have been looking in most supermarket in different part of Chiangmai for a few months and we could  not find it. ( We have Tops and  Rimping in Chiangmai )  My usual Big C and Tesco never had it in stock .

Fortunately last month , I flew to Yangon to visit a friend living there and I bought a few bottles to bring back home. 

The whole $&@" city (Bk) has been out of Cheetos for 4 months!  Finally a new delivery made to a nearby grocery shop so very pleased. Patience- L&P Wooster will return????????

23 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

How do you know this? How many stores have you checked to see if this is the case? 

You don't mention in which area you live.

Phitsanulok TOPS and Makro have it as recently as last week.

Saw it at Paragon Gourmet Gallery yesterday. Not a fan but it's there.

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've had several different managers at my local Foodland store in BKK tell me on different occasions that particular products they'd stocked for a long time were "no longer available" or "can't order anymore from supplier" -- only to find the same products being sold much later at other Foodland branches and even at other markets.  So clearly, they were either lying or didn't know what they were talking about.

These days, I don't trust or rely on what they tell me one little bit.

Had the same scenario with Weetabix / Weetbix from my local Big C , only place locally to stock it but then stopped . Was told there was a legal battle over the copyrights of the name . Now I have found it again at another much larger  Big C , Weetbix that is , much the same as Weetabix 

17 hours ago, alant said:

I am in Chiang Mai so my shops are there. Main source Makro but if required Tesco, Yok,  Tops and Rimping. I have been told it's a quality issue but I have problems believing. I know it is available in other ASEAN countries as I get messages having a laugh at my expense about not being able to get it. Logistics highly unlikely to be a problem, it is a Kraft / Heinz company.

I suspect issues with distribution arrangement but that is a guess.

I am not a conspiracy theorist but you are in Chiang Mai and I suspect it has something to do with the air quality you have experienced lately. Like WD40 Lea & Perrins had many uses. You will probably find somewhere on the internet that recommends dousing yourself with copious amounts of said sauce in order to alleviate breathing difficulties, that will be the reason for the shortage because where I live, in Nakhon Ratchasima province we do not have the same air quality problems and I bought a bottle of L&P Worcestershire sauce two days ago. Thinking about it maybe I should have bought more, just in case.

In case the Worcester drought continues, try fermenting these Ingredients may alleviate your predicament.
( got them from the sauce well itself)

Distilled white vinegar, anchovies, garlic, molasses, onions, salt, sugar, water, chili pepper extract, cloves, natural flavorings, tamarind extract

Can't be a worse taste than the original, but hey, I am not British ????

looking at the ingredients though, this seems to be healthy stuff and possibly most of the sugars disappear during Fermentation ( and then become what ??? ???? ). The additional natural flavorings I'd ignore, but maybe there is a number list on the packaging that explains what natural flavorings they use (MSG comes to mind or yeast.).  
Enjoy !!

I was going to start a thread about this topic a few days ago.

I read somewhere else on the Internet (can't find it now) that Lea and Perrins sauce is no longer available and will not be available in the future in Thailand.

Yes, some shops have it, but that is old stock.

I was going to ask if it contains some banned substance or what.

There are many suggestions here for other brands, but nothing is as good in my opinion. 

We'll just have to buy on Internet or bring back from home.

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Definitely in BigC yesterday. 

At BigC Don Chan on the CM Superhighway this morning, and at Rimping Promenada yesterday, also Heinz brand which I've bought before and to my taste 99% as good as L&P. 

For me a must for fried eggs and a decent splash in the frying pan as I turn my steak over, wonderful.

On 4/9/2019 at 4:55 PM, Jane Dough said:

Yes i have always used the orange label. Never seen the other one or not noticed it. I have myopia when it comes to such important issues..

Just been writing the latest Big Joke news. Why can't the world understand that Worcester Sauce is much more important?

Rooster

I've used this and its fine.  

• 4 weeks later...

Put half a cup of Lea & Perrins  and one cup of tomato sauce plus 2 tablespoons of sugar bring to simmer and you have just made a perfect sauce for any meat dish .I will go to tops tomorrow and stock up 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a 2-bottle pack from Makro in Ubon recently. Not cheap by any means, but makes my shepherds pie, bolognese and chilli con carne taste great.

The wife won't taste it, yet when she comes home with that ba-ra from the market I keep looking at the bottom of my shoes to see if I stepped in cat crap.

Archived