Immigration Hua Hin BEWARE

15 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Next year, yes. This year they've been ordered to show leniency. I know they probably don't know the meaning of the word, but there it is.

The order has always stated monthly, that's nothing new.

Whilst you could obtain Embassy letters, proof of frequency, or how much you transferred was never requested.

Now interesting to know if this was a single case in Hua Hin or they handle all the cases in same. You have to transfer the money every month for the last 12 months?

I hope for all the expats in Hua Hin who choose the income method that this was only a single case...

And of course hope for others, that their Immigration Office will check it correctly and only follow the rule from january.. or even better only follow the rule next year and this year only tell to all, what the new rule is.

5 minutes ago, HampiK said:

And of course hope for others, that their Immigration Office will check it correctly and only follow the rule from january.. or even better only follow the rule next year and this year only tell to all, what the new rule is.

What I find confusing, is the amended orders only became common knowledge the beginning of January.

You would therefore assume that applications proving transfers as from January would be acceptable.

However, there is also an example given;

Except in a case where the applicant's extension is less than 1 year, the evidence must be from the month of retirement. For example, the retirement is started in October 2018, the applicant must show pension payment evidence from November and pension payment evidence of the whole 12 months is required for the next year (2020).

In my opinion that only applies to first time applicants, but some IO's could be confused, therefore requesting proof of monthly transfers from your last extension date from 2018.

Not correct, but a possible answer to the confusion.

22 hours ago, vinniekintana said:

It astounds me that some ppl make 65k a month and they cannot rub together 800k and be done with it.

Really? In order to amass 800k one would be able to live on less than 65k a month...lets say, save 10k a month? 80 months????? Please stop taking the medicine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, sumrit said:

They've done exactly that already to people using the income method. We now have to bring 65k baht into Thailand from abroad each and every month, plus, if asked, provide proof of where that income originated from.

You think they can't/won't do the same/similar in the future to prove people using the 'money in the bank' have an adequate income for living expenses while in Thailand.

Tell me why do you think this can't/won't happen????

because people are now adding to the 800k over the 5 months seasoning to cover living expenses, over that period I will have an extra 200kbaht and if I need more I will transfer more, because the seasoning has gone from 3 months to 5 months I have had to cover an extra 2 months living expenses that I didn't need to do last year - and for what ?

I refuse to transfer money here on a monthly basis for several reasons but primarily because of bank charges, I do one or two transfers a year from outside Thailand - why is that not enough 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, smedly said:

because people are now adding to the 800k over the 5 months seasoning to cover living expenses, over that period I will have an extra 200kbaht and if I need more I will transfer more, because the seasoning has gone from 3 months to 5 months I have had to cover an extra 2 months living expenses that I didn't need to do last year - and for what ?

I refuse to transfer money here on a monthly basis for several reasons but primarily because of bank charges, I do one or two transfers a year from outside Thailand - why is that not enough 

Exactly Smedley.  As I said yesterday, mu pension is not based in the UK (althoug it is a UK military pension) and is paid out once per year, to my bank in Thailand.  There is an option to have it paid quarterly but the fees and hassle make that unnatractive.  There is no facility to have it paid monthly at all.

Why, as Smedley has asked, is that not sufficient?

Luckily I earn over the 65k per month, besides my pension, so I will use the income method this year.

I think the point is that some individual IOs will only accept evidence that the 65,000 Baht (or more) is transferred from an overseas bank into a Thai bank every month.

Many expats prefer  not to do a monthly transfer to save on fees and retain some flexibility in chasing the best exchange rates. So we might transfer once every few months or at irregular periods. Sure, our income meets or exceeds the 65,000 Baht threshold, but our transfers are at irregular intervals.

It seems that the transfers must now be done on a monthly basis because any other evidence that the income requirements are being met will not be accepted.

26 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

It seems that the transfers must now be done on a monthly basis because any other evidence that the income requirements are being met will not be accepted.

But the income requirements are currently....

26 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

evidence that the 65,000 Baht (or more) is transferred from an overseas bank into a Thai bank every month.

Edited by jacko45k

On 4/9/2019 at 11:56 AM, vinniekintana said:

It astounds me that some ppl make 65k a month and they cannot rub together 800k and be done with it.

Why.  65K they can spend or 800K they cannot is a real choice.

Since I started the topic I am obliged to reply to points raised on my post, but not all the other issues.

To Ubon Joe   Thanks for your reply and wider contributions.

My answers + more info for context …

1 Dec was my last quarterly transfer 242,380THB

2 On 10 Jan I saw the 2ic at Hua Hin and asked specifically about transferring 3 monthly in advance. He assured me that would be OK

3 The signed order I saw was dated  “Confirm” 28/1/19. Didn’t see that till Feb.

4 Feb & March 65k+ transfers. Why? ThaiVisa discussion AND doubting the Immigration clerks would be on the same page as their immediate 2ic

Also, of less but some relevance …

5 Total transfers into Thailand in the 12 months preceding my application 1.9m THB … still 1.1m excluding the 800k seasoned for safety.

6 Here continuously 20+ years and transferred more than 1m THB pa on average

7 I asked some average Thais the Thai word for “leniency” and the Thai meaning of it. Even those with University degrees had no knowledge of this. So how would an Immigration clerk understand it?

8 Oh, and guess what, that 2ic, who seemed quite a reasonable fellow, has now been transferred. Leaving only the gremlins in control.

9 I spoke with the boss of that office by phone twice in December. He gave me a BS assurance that my situation would be covered by the forthcoming new rules.

To other posters …

1 My main alert was about “evidence” and the possible probable hint of more confusing nonsense to follow. Especially for anyone on a self-funded pension or anything but the simplest of “evidence” and translated into Thai which would be a challenge. No one seemed to read the notice that way … yet!

2 I can’t leave here at short notice so I covered all 3 options …

Bank letter and transfers – Refused

Embassy letter and quarterly transfers – Accepted

800k seasoned deposit – not required.

3 Technically, with hindsight, a 65k transfer in Jan was missing. In the whole context I say    so &^*&*** what.

4 My other concern was about the incompetence coupled with the gremlin factor + the new barrier so you can no longer see what the paper shufflers are doing/reading.

Some claimed good experience at this office. Again I say BEWARE!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chai19 said:

2 On 10 Jan I saw the 2ic at Hua Hin and asked specifically about transferring 3 monthly in advance. He assured me that would be OK

3 The signed order I saw was dated  “Confirm” 28/1/19. Didn’t see that till Feb.

2. That was false info. They should of already had the order by then.

3. The order was signed in December. See: Amendment to police order 138/2557 Revising clauses 2.18 and 2.22 to include options for proof of income  

The order dated in January was for the 800k in the bank option that went into effect on March 1st.

Her is the directive for the immigration to be flexible for the money in the bank. 

Memo instructing offices to be flexible during 2019 tor the amendment's requirements. Immigration Memo For Income Proof (ENG).pdf  Original in Thai: Immigration Memo For Income Proof.pdf

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:56 PM, vinniekintana said:

Like me on the lousy 1% or zilch interest they are paying here, I am reluctant to bring that money here, as I am getting 3.55% PA, from my bank at home

3 hours ago, saminoz said:

Exactly Smedley.  As I said yesterday, mu pension is not based in the UK (althoug it is a UK military pension) and is paid out once per year, to my bank in Thailand.  There is an option to have it paid quarterly but the fees and hassle make that unnatractive.  There is no facility to have it paid monthly at all.

Why, as Smedley has asked, is that not sufficient?

Luckily I earn over the 65k per month, besides my pension, so I will use the income method this year.

What military pension scheme are you on?. Mine is AFPS 75 and my pension is paid monthly into my Bangkok Bank

Has been for over 11 years now, the pension admin lot charge 2.74GBP per month. Write to them, easy to set up. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chai19 said:

2 I can’t leave here at short notice so I covered all 3 options …

Bank letter and transfers – Refused

Embassy letter and quarterly transfers – Accepted

800k seasoned deposit – not required.

3 Technically, with hindsight, a 65k transfer in Jan was missing. In the whole context I say    so &^*&*** what.

4 My other concern was about the incompetence coupled with the gremlin factor + the new barrier so you can no longer see what the paper shufflers are doing/reading.

Some claimed good experience at this office. Again I say BEWARE!

It appears that the Embassy Letter is what was accepted and once that was presented all the rest became inconsequential. Other posts have indicated- that Thai Imm still prefers the Embassy Letter.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingjock said:

Like me on the lousy 1% or zilch interest they are paying here, I am reluctant to bring that money here, as I am getting 3.55% PA, from my bank at home

You would lose about 16,500 baht p.a. on a FD account in Thailand. Some manage to get better than the 1,5% I get,

1 hour ago, phutoie2 said:

What military pension scheme are you on?. Mine is AFPS 75 and my pension is paid monthly into my Bangkok Bank

Has been for over 11 years now, the pension admin lot charge 2.74GBP per month. Write to them, easy to set up. 

I moved mine out of the UK under the QROPS(?) scheme some years ago.  It saved a sh1tload of tax and gets a far better return than leaving it in the UK (who I don't trust at all, given their recent antics).

I only served 19 years but when I have met guys who served the full 22, my pension yields as much, if not a little more, than theirs seem to.

Mine is pretty well invested and I have a lot of visibility of it and some control over the investments as well.

It was doing great until Brexit and the fall of the pound.  Still doing pretty good though.

The issue though should be: why can't an annual pension statement serve as well as a monthly statement, surely?

Edited by saminoz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, saminoz said:

The issue though should be: why can't an annual pension statement serve as well as a monthly statement, surely?

Ours is not to reason why..........etc.......

It needs to be monthly income into Thailand, you could receive it in UK and transfer monthly.

West meets East. Civil Servants in the East are expected to generate some of their income themselves. We call that corruption and some Thais pay lip service to that concept while some agree with it, the difficulty is knowing which is which. This is the reason that issues can not be addressed using logic.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

AH! good, post 85,

True, employees have flaws,
  sometimes their reaction time is long,
but I'm in my tenth year at the Hua Hin Immigration Service,
and they do their best to help you.
Now, there are farangs that have, ALSO, a very long reaction time.

Edited by sirocco

On 4/9/2019 at 6:56 AM, vinniekintana said:

Perhaps people don’t want to have 800k sitting around in an account doing nothing. 800k can easily be earning upwards of 8%pa. Transfers of 65k/month can be much more cost effective 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Perhaps people don’t want to have 800k sitting around in an account doing nothing. 800k can easily be earning upwards of 8%pa. Transfers of 65k/month can be much more cost effective 

Please let us all know where you can earn upwards of 8%pa............I don't remember earning anything like that after about 1994......maybe you meant 3, not 8?