Immigration Hua Hin BEWARE

On 4/9/2019 at 12:46 PM, Thailand said:

And they can spend the 65K a month but not the 800K which way makes more sense?

None  of it  makes  any  sense,  plenty  have  the  money and  more  to  stay  here  but the stupidity of depositing every month is  plain NUTS.

On 4/9/2019 at 12:46 PM, Thailand said:

And they can spend the 65K a month but not the 800K which way makes more sense?

None  of it  makes  any  sense,  plenty  have  the  money and  more  to  stay  here  but the stupidity of depositing every month is  plain NUTS.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

I can understand where they are coming from, after all 130,000 divided by 2 or 195,000 divided by 3 is a pretty daunting task.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Everyone is corrupt, it's just a matter of what makes you be. Yes, having to go back to your country is enough for many.

No reason they would go there, when there are many options even in this area who would welcome expat spending to help their citizens.

The laws were grandfathered.

I was referring to the new rules for retirement - having to xfer all 65K/mo for those w/o letters any more, and others having to leave the money "to live on for the year" untouched.   These changes were not grandfathered.

I think many of those paying bribes to remain in the country were being dishonest about their earnings before.

Yes, those who did not qualify were using agents before, and presumably still are.  But now, many new agent-customers who qualified before, but don't any more, will be joining them.

Thailand is a developing country, yet some would prefer it wasn't.

In some ways, yes, but in others, stuck in old-ways (corruption).  I don't think anyone wants to see less economic opportunity for Thais.  Making it harder for retirees - driving many away - does not help average Thais have more opportunities.  There are still many Thais who need to support their families/farms with incomes from that spending.

You can't burn your cake at both end.

This is what I would say to immigration - you cannot enact the immigration-attitudes of countries with higher-wages for the lowest paid workers, while most Thais do not have those high-wages - and especially while operating a visa-system allowing "willing to work cheap" foreigners to enter from neighboring countries, and keep wages low. 

The wages for the poorest have to rise, first.  But even then, I do not see what good would be done by preventing self-funded visitors coming/staying.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

But even then, I do not see what good would be done by preventing self-funded visitors coming/staying.

Simple case of immigration rules, otherwise the country would be invaded by rich foreigners.

Thailand is xenophobic and racist.

The laws for us not buying land was implemented to stop Japanese buying up all the land, making it impossible for normal Russia to buy land. These days it would be the Chinese.

I wish my country(Scotland) had done the same to stop Englishmen from buying up all or prime land.

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Simple case of immigration rules, otherwise the country would be invaded by rich foreigners.

Thailand is xenophobic and racist.

The laws for us not buying land was implemented to stop Japanese buying up all the land, making it impossible for normal Russia to buy land. These days it would be the Chinese.

I wish my country(Scotland) had done the same to stop Englishmen from buying up all or prime land.

I have no quarrel with their not allowing foreigners to buy them out of the land their country exists on.  Making citizenship difficult is also understandable. 

But foreigners with no rights and their own foreign-sourced money, spending it here?  I really don't see how anyone could feel threatened by this.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

But foreigners with no rights and their own foreign-sourced money, spending it here?  I really don't see how anyone could feel threatened by this.

I don't think anyone feels threatened.

Making more obstacles makes certain people richer, this is their only motive.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, xkkpafi said:

Belated thanks for that info.

I don't know about the rest of them but the US Embassy thought it was a big joke when they handed out the income affidavit letters for $50 a letter.  When asked to verify the actual funds, they just stopped issuing the letters.

In spite of what some would like you to believe, it is a simple process verifying the monthly income these letters state.  The only thing I can think why the letters aren't being issued anymore, embassy clerks are federal employees.  

There has never been anyone who has accused federal employees of being hard working, exemplary employees.  These people tend to do as little as possible.  My guess is they baulked at the thought of actually doing something more than warming a seat.

Thanks for nothing guys ????

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

I don't know about the rest of them but the US Embassy thought it was a big joke when they handed out the income affidavit letters for $50 a letter.  When asked to verify the actual funds, they just stopped issuing the letters.

In spite of what some would like you to believe, it is a simple process verifying the monthly income these letters state.  The only thing I can think why the letters aren't being issued anymore, embassy clerks are federal employees.  

There has never been anyone who has accused federal employees of being hard working, exemplary employees.  These people tend to do as little as possible.  My guess is they baulked at the thought of actually doing something more than warming a seat.

Thanks for nothing guys ????

It is illegal for USA Embassy personnel to "verify the content" of any document you take to them.  All they can do is verify you are you, and you swear it is true.  Some other embassies are still doing this same thing - others require showing some docs (which they don't "verify"). 

Immigration pulled-back on "verification" and went back to "certification" after knocking out the biggest embassy-letter competition faced by their agent-money system.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It is illegal for USA Embassy personnel to "verify the content" of any document you take to them.  All they can do is verify you are you, and you swear it is true.  Some other embassies are still doing this same thing - others require showing some docs (which they don't "verify"). 

Immigration pulled-back on "verification" and went back to "certification" after knocking out the biggest embassy-letter competition faced by their agent-money system.

Thanks Mr. Embassy clerk. ????

• Haha 1