Anyone married at an Amphur recently

darren1971

Are you foreign/foreign or foreign/Thai?  That "we" only have two weeks left in Thailand begs the question.  Might make a difference and explanation of new rules might also be useful for responders.

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Are you foreign/foreign or foreign/Thai?  That "we" only have two weeks left in Thailand begs the question.  Might make a difference and explanation of new rules might also be useful for responders.

Im from the UK marrying a Thai Lady. The plan was to stay in Thailand for 30 days, acquire all the correct paperwork in Bangkok and then marry at Bang Lamung today. We got our paperwork back from Bangkok yesterday and had already contacted the Amphur who said just turn up, no appointment needed. At the Amphur today we were told that a lot of documents are forgeries and they would need to send them back to Bangkok to confirm they were real. We asked how long this would take and were told, maybe 1 week, maybe 1 month, maybe 3. I need to return to the UK on the 25th of April (and amphurs will be closed for songkran) and we were hoping to have the marriage certificates by the 20th so we could go to Bangkok and apply for a settlement visa for my wife.

It seems that currently all amphurs are working to different rules and the only option is to pay an agent 7-10k. Once an agent is employed the rules seem to change agaian, go figure!. I don't really want to return to Bangkok and pay an agent but it may be our only option.

You did have the embassy free to marry paper translated and registered as Thai legal document by Thai MFA?  It only takes a phone call to confirm real.  Don't recall any other paperwork being required (but we were not married previously).  Have you tried Bang Rak in Bangkok?  They marry many and believe if you have the paperwork they go by the numbers.  

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You did have the embassy free to marry paper translated and registered as Thai legal document by Thai MFA?  It only takes a phone call to confirm real.  Don't recall any other paperwork being required (but we were not married previously).  Have you tried Bang Rak in Bangkok?  They marry many and believe if you have the paperwork they go by the numbers.  

yes everything done by the book, affidavit from British embassy and a certified copy of passport, both translated and certified by MFA in Bangkok... absolutely no reason that Bang Lamung should not accept them. Bang Rak is an option but they will only do 8 foreign/thai marriages a day, and guess who those 8 are? the 8 with agents. Still, maybe the only option.

Ideally I dont want to go back to Bangkok until after songkran hence picking Bang Lamung amphur

1 hour ago, darren1971 said:

Im from the UK marrying a Thai Lady. The plan was to stay in Thailand for 30 days, acquire all the correct paperwork in Bangkok and then marry at Bang Lamung today. We got our paperwork back from Bangkok yesterday and had already contacted the Amphur who said just turn up, no appointment needed. At the Amphur today we were told that a lot of documents are forgeries and they would need to send them back to Bangkok to confirm they were real. We asked how long this would take and were told, maybe 1 week, maybe 1 month, maybe 3. I need to return to the UK on the 25th of April (and amphurs will be closed for songkran) and we were hoping to have the marriage certificates by the 20th so we could go to Bangkok and apply for a settlement visa for my wife.

It seems that currently all amphurs are working to different rules and the only option is to pay an agent 7-10k. Once an agent is employed the rules seem to change agaian, go figure!. I don't really want to return to Bangkok and pay an agent but it may be our only option.

'A lot of documents'. Which documents were not properly translated and certified?

OP, if Banglamung is finding something wrong with the documents then any other ampher would probably find the same problems. If all documents are MFA certified, that is the proof of not being a forgery etc. Are you perhaps missing a required document, not all documents are certified ? (divorce doc maybe ?)

You mention "new rules", are the new rules that documents need to be certified 2 times by MFA ?

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, if Banglamung is finding something wrong with the documents then any other ampher would probably find the same problems. If all documents are MFA certified, that is the proof of not being a forgery etc. Are you perhaps missing a required document, not all documents are certified ? (divorce doc maybe ?)

You mention "new rules", are the new rules that documents need to be certified 2 times by MFA ?

No problems were found with the documents and none were missing, she said we had all the correct documents. But now they send all documents to Bangkok and have to wait for their return before they will marry foreign/thai couples... She didn't say where she was sending them. My Thai gf has been on the phone and apparently, this will be the norm at all amphurs going forward with only Bang Rak and Don Muang using the old system.

We are trying to get in at her local amphur in Bo Thong, Chonburi but the boss man is not available.

19 minutes ago, stevenl said:

'A lot of documents'. Which documents were not properly translated and certified?

All documents were correct and certified correctly, but they still require to send them to Bangkok and wait for their return before marrying Thai/foreign couples... with a very vague timeframe for their return

My advice: hire an agent

We wanted to marry last Christmas (25.12.18), all papers were correct and nothing forged

1st local amphur: need to call your embassy to confirm documents, on Christmas day all European embassies are closed

Turned up again on 27th, big boss not there, no one authorized to sign excuse

Same day went to amphur 2.....8, excuses were:
- full, come next year
- you need an interpreter
- documents not complete
- cannot, shut down by DSI and more BS

Hired an agent and got married on 28.12. in a small Ket in BKK for 8k฿

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, CLS said:

My advice: hire an agent

We wanted to marry last Christmas (25.12.18), all papers were correct and nothing forged

1st local amphur: need to call your embassy to confirm documents, on Christmas day all European embassies are closed

Turned up again on 27th, big boss not there, no one authorized to sign excuse

Same day went to amphur 2.....8, excuses were:
- full, come next year
- you need an interpreter
- documents not complete
- cannot, shut down by DSI and more BS

Hired an agent and got married on 28.12. in a small Ket in BKK for 8k฿

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yep, think you're right. Will get married at Don Muang Amphur on the 22nd for 6KB using the agent that did our documents for us. Leaves us 2 days to get the visa application in... if we can get an interview..

Just noticed the heading to this forum is "Marriage and Divorce"  - not a lot of confidence there. 

Shouldn't the forum heading be "Marriage or Divorce?  

Maybe Thailand needs their own Las Vegas style buddhist storefronts, with amphor agent attending,  just to facilitate those who are in a hurry - 555

Best of luck to you both

16 hours ago, darren1971 said:

why are you in a hurry to marry

as many people here will say:  DON'T !

you will regret it

4 minutes ago, justin case said:

you will regret it

From makeup of expats suspect most regret that first marriage; in home country. more than a marriage to a Thai.  

The OP has been caught in this new ruling which, as correctly stated, is because of forged documents and sham marriages. All I can suggest is that you go to the local amphur where your Thai girlfriend is from. I got married last Dec at my local with no problems at all. Everyone in the office knew all the family so it was nice and easy.

Good luck darren 1971 

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That was reason for the MFA registration requirement.  

Indeed but as usual the forgers have got round that requirement. As suggested, a phone call to confirm would be so much easier. Many people are going to have their wedding plans ruined through stupid rulings with no time limits.  

I was married at Bang Rak in Bangkok, but my wife is from Nakhon Ratchasima province. Because 'Rak' means love in Thai it has become a popular place for people to get married and they are probably busier than most places where you can get married. I realise that it would mean a trip to Bangkok but because this place is used to a high number of people getting married the procedure, if you can call it that, is very quick. In reality it is just a matter of filling in a number of forms and receiving the certificates. It is really easy. If you do a google search you will find a number of blogs etc where people got married there. Here is one of them: https://www.live-less-ordinary.com/legal-marriage-in-bangkok-bangrak-khet/

7 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

I was married at Bang Rak in Bangkok, but my wife is from Nakhon Ratchasima province. Because 'Rak' means love in Thai it has become a popular place for people to get married and they are probably busier than most places where you can get married. I realise that it would mean a trip to Bangkok but because this place is used to a high number of people getting married the procedure, if you can call it that, is very quick. In reality it is just a matter of filling in a number of forms and receiving the certificates. It is really easy. If you do a google search you will find a number of blogs etc where people got married there. Here is one of them: https://www.live-less-ordinary.com/legal-marriage-in-bangkok-bangrak-khet/

But as already has been stated, they only do 8 Foreign/Thai marriages a day. I still have a gut feeling that, like myself, if you approach the amphur where the girlfriend is from and everyone knows everyone, then there is a chance they may forego the requirement as they know you are genuine. 

1 hour ago, worrab said:

The OP has been caught in this new ruling which, as correctly stated, is because of forged documents and sham marriages. All I can suggest is that you go to the local amphur where your Thai girlfriend is from. I got married last Dec at my local with no problems at all. Everyone in the office knew all the family so it was nice and easy.

Good luck darren 1971 

Your girl's local Amphur is the best option. Got married yesterday at Khao Kho but that is too far for you. They must not have heard of the "new rules"

17 hours ago, darren1971 said:

No problems were found with the documents and none were missing, she said we had all the correct documents. But now they send all documents to Bangkok and have to wait for their return before they will marry foreign/thai couples... She didn't say where she was sending them. My Thai gf has been on the phone and apparently, this will be the norm at all amphurs going forward with only Bang Rak and Don Muang using the old system.

We are trying to get in at her local amphur in Bo Thong, Chonburi but the boss man is not available.

Surprised your bride didn't pick up on implied "solution" (had similar situation in 2016): wheels need to be greased. My now wife went in and made a contribution and voila! "problem" solved. Wife told me about her solution later, probably a wise thing to do. I was frustrated but keeping it together. Extortion requirement might have blown my cork

17 hours ago, darren1971 said:

My filipina GF and now wife and I(American) were married at Banglamung Amphur on March 26th after we presented out freedom to marry documents on February 18th. All docs were correct and approved and sent to Bangkok(as previously noted) for the reasons given. We were advised at the time of application that because neither of us are Thai, the turn-around time could be just as they said - weeks or months. It turned out we got our marriage certificate  about 5 weeks later, which we thought was a miracle! So whether or not one spouse is Thai or neither is Thai makes no difference.  Be prepared to wait...

We were married in the UK and want to register it (all paperwork ,authenticated and translated) but in Pattaya they want your passport translated and authenticated (not done) any one know an amphur that does not require this ? so we can register our marriage (of 23 years)

7 hours ago, justin case said:

you will regret it

because we have spent 2 years getting everything in order for a settlement visa, the affidavit from the British embassy is only valid for 1 month and the TB certificate for my wife only 3.... We just need the marriage certificate and apply for the visa, if we fail to get married before I return to the UK it would mean more expense and time apart.

Statistically, Marriages work out around 50% of the time, I have weighed up the pros and cons and decided I would like to be married. 

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

We were married in the UK and want to register it (all paperwork ,authenticated and translated) but in Pattaya they want your passport translated and authenticated (not done) any one know an amphur that does not require this ? so we can register our marriage (of 23 years)

I think you will need to make an appointment at the British embassy to get the passport authenticated and then get it translated

4 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

So why is that a problem? ...........If his is one of those 8 Foreign/Thai marriages. 

The word "if" says it all. It is a case of waiting to be one of the 8 and when.  Allegedly agents are involved and if you are not paying their fees then how long is a piece of string? For those that have made plans based on the old ways, they are heading into limbo especially if they are doing it all within a holiday.

Two years ago I went with my Thai girlfriend to our local District Office asking for a yellow Tabien Baan and pink ID card. A dragon insisted I had to be resident 12 months and be married. Neither criteria correct but I didn't argue. Since then we got married and, as the amphur required, obtained authenticated copy of passport and declaration of freedom to marry from British Embassy in Bangkok. I paid an agent 3,000 baht for translations and the MFA process. The civil registration was unbelievably easy, handled by one staff member in the one stop shop. Didn't even have to speak. We asked for my yellow book and pink ID card at the same time. They told me I had to go back to the Embassy for another authenticated copy of passport plus same of my birth certificate. Bless them!

From another site is this following information: 1. This is an interim rule (not yet in the rulebook) and seemingly not one all amphurs are carrying out. 2. This is for mixed Thai-foreign marriages. Foreign-foreign marriages, at least from western countries are unaffected. 3. Not all amphurs are doing this, so try a different one if you encounter this. 4. Those marrying at their partner's local amphur (in their town of birth) are not experiencing this issue. 5. A "contribution" to the local amphur seems to be one way around this, in some situations.

Hope this is useful.

Archived