BANGKOK
webfact

Foreign Minister Don reminds diplomats not to meddle in judicial affairs

Foreign Minister Don reminds diplomats not to meddle in judicial affairs

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM6HLHfDP409eJWWpOXyC7I5BT

The Thai Foreign Ministry is considering inviting representatives of the foreign diplomatic corps in Thailand to be reminded of protocols and practices that should be observed.

The ministry’s move follows the presence of a group of foreign diplomats at Pathumwan police station last Saturday when Future Forward party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit reported to acknowledge charges against him for offences allegedly committed four years ago. The presence of the diplomats has been widely criticized as interference in Thailand’s judicial affairs.

Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai said today that foreign diplomats could not get involved in Thai judicial affairs unless the suspect is a citizen of their countries, adding that no country would allow foreign envoys to meddle in the judicial affairs of the host country because it is against UN protocols.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/foreign-minister-don-reminds-diplomats-not-to-meddle-in-judicial-affairs/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-04-09
  • Like 1

So who will they find to spearhead this lecture on protocols and practices in a democracy, considering the EC mess?

• Like 1

But weren’t these diplomats supposed to be fake? Which one is it - they’re fake or they’re real and shouldn’t get involved? 

hey look Don! there's a cliff top take the EC with you

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Roadman said:

For diplomats I disagree. Its called diplomacy for a reason. And any citizen in most countries when summoned report to police with supporters or legal aide. FM Don P is p!ssed as Juangroongruangkit was one step ahead of his slow thinking plods and made the issue intetrnational. 

I humbly may think that there is a difference between consular assistance and a Ambassador or diplomat in a foreign country, going in the field and openly giving political support to an opponent, just released from of a police station.

And should one not agree, fine, but in that case many western nations would also deserve to have neutral diplomat observers, point a finger at their rather questionable internal policies.

Edited by observer90210
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, jonclark said:

I would therefore recommend that you delete your own post for fear it's very contents contradict the politics it seeks to support. 

You are my troller of the day 😂

There's is a time and place to voice concern but this wasn't neither. I, for one, will be sending a letter to my representative back home that this type of behavior is neither helpful nor wanted.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2