Debts before marriage

user7969876

Ha! Well, it appears (appeared) to me like this. I did not know she had 89K baht credit debt when we met. With her car payment (I was aware) and the added credit debt, along with her Daughter’s education cost, she was strapped. In my culture there is a saying about when money worries enter, love goes out the window. So, I paid the credit card debt from money she would get when I croak and I pointed this out. But the debt relief gave her some breathing room. I have a happy girl and she says I have shown my love for her. I just love the Thai female logic ... it’s not about money, I want love ... but then ... 555. Anyway, something I could do within my bounds and I have a girl who cannot do enough to take care of me which is the traditional Thai cultural teaching. It’s like stepping back into the 1950s US culture and I do like it!!!

From what I have read , heard and witnessed once you marry a Thai lady you are responsible not just to her but also her family and there family the list is never ending . I suppose the other issue could be that once married she could then take out a loan to pay off the other debts she already has which then would implicate you if she failed to pay the new loan

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Ha! Well, it appears (appeared) to me like this. I did not know she had 89K baht credit debt when we met. With her car payment (I was aware) and the added credit debt, along with her Daughter’s education cost, she was strapped. In my culture there is a saying about when money worries enter, love goes out the window. So, I paid the credit card debt from money she would get when I croak and I pointed this out. But the debt relief gave her some breathing room. I have a happy girl and she says I have shown my love for her. I just love the Thai female logic ... it’s not about money, I want love ... but then ... 555. Anyway, something I could do within my bounds and I have a girl who cannot do enough to take care of me which is the traditional Thai cultural teaching. It’s like stepping back into the 1950s US culture and I do like it!!!

Sounds like you got a bargain for $3000. Long may your relationship prosper - and I should stop reading this thread right here, because the Miseries will be along any minute.

I have no idea as to liability. I settled a motor scooter debt for my GF because she was distressed about it, the finance company were about to repossess. I believe I have succeeded in educating her all debt is bad, and it's better to be solvent than to try and keep up with the Somchais.

Your point does not indicate how much debt, If its reasonable say within the 40-50k range is not terrible. If it exceeds that and by much more your girlfriend could have a gambling problem if so, you may want to move on, Thai woman that gamble are a major headache.

Once you start down this road it never ends. Most Thais are totally incapable of handling money. Especially once they learn that Daddy Farang will pay. Should have knocked this on the head at the start. Tell her to go ask a Thai man to pay......555

One option may be a pre-nuptial agreement...can be done...I am aware of cases here. However, that's the legal aspect. What is expected culturally is another matter...assess the risk and possible outcomes...entirely your choice.

you will be the ATM till there is no debt and she has a house and a car in her name, you paid for and then it is time for the next ATM as you will be broke

wait for the buffalo to get sick, the "brother" had a motosai accident and need a new one, the mother in law has cancer and more of that low class bullshit

On 4/9/2019 at 3:58 PM, Myran said:

Hardly, but what happens if the now married lady takes out another loan to pay back her old dept is another question entirely.

So you are saying if my wife gets into debt while we are married and does not pay, the debtors will come after me? This being Thailand it would not surprise me, just another reason to keep about 90 % of your money in your UK bank.

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I have shown my love for her, where I have heard this before?

Was it 16 years ago, 12 years 7 years, 6 years or somewhere in-between?

I cannot find out the answer anymore because all these guys are back in their home country. 

But to the defense of your Girl I must admit, all these wifes have been met in Pattaya's nightlife, they were freshly arrived, or they were just a cashier or even two have been never worked in a bar until the truth came out..

have a good focus where she came from, there is a saying, "once a hooker always a hooker."

just as a warning

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

So you are saying if my wife gets into debt while we are married and does not pay, the debtors will come after me? This being Thailand it would not surprise me, just another reason to keep about 90 % of your money in your UK bank.

I'm saying it's a definite possibility. No idea about the legality of it or whether or not the wife's previous debt might play a part if push comes to shove.

Once you get married it will be much better to clear all of her debts but make some agreement if new ones will happen in the future. If she is full of debts when she enters the marriage, you will also be affected. I personally could not watch my wife suffering in debts and predicaments and just watch feeling comfortable. Think well what you are doing and what you are entering into. Talk with her and have it even in written due to it will be most likely forgotten. And one more thing. If you want to be happy, she also must be happy and she won't be happy if her family is suffering in debts. But if you are so cold blooded that you can enjoy in the marriage without your wife being happy as well, maybe it is better not to get married. Good luck anyway

On 4/9/2019 at 3:47 PM, Pookaow said:

If a westerner marries a Thai lady is he responsible for the debts she has incurred before marriage?

Knowing how much her debt she holds, is important.   Knowing who holds the debt is just as important.  Always ask who holds the debt (bank, government ministry (education, health, military, police, etc), family, loan shark), how many co-signs is she on the hook for.  The web of co-signers is phenomenal.... 

You might not be on the hook, but your wife may have grief if it, or anything she's guaranteed, goes delinquent.   A funny thing happens to some Thai's, when a new farang income is sourced....

Archived