Developer cancels 500 million baht project in Chiang Mai due to smog

webfact

Stay in thai country about 17 years ,,,

12 years in bangkok but i think i want clean weather and want try high quality life style in north with quiet and perfect weather,, so 5 year already moved to chiang Rai !!! 

But now find 3 month already no have raining and worst quality weather!!!

Now planning to move from here and bye bye to north 

8 hours ago, RobMuir said:

think you are imagining that the average tourist would even know who big Joke was.

Doubt it.

Tourist numbers are up.

this is the 21st Century. Prior to travel- people  scour the internet for  tons of information.  Everyone knows that CM and Bangkok are severely polluted and there has been significant  news about Immigration issues in Thailand. They may not know who Big Joke is but they know Thailand is not Western friendly .

The top 10  tourists coming to Thailand  have only one Western Nation listed= USA- where in the past there used to be all ten top tourist destinations as being Western.

I stay in many Thai Hotels in various areas- and I hardly see more than 10-20%  As Western. When a country continually gets bad  press for such things as pollution; poor beaches; crime; and  immigration issues- people will vote with their feet. the only reason overall tourist numbers are up is because  China; India and Asean have discovered travel and have the money- but these people usually come on Zero Dollar tours.  Talk to any Thai taxi driver or Hotel bellman and they will tell you the same. They want the Western travelers back.

2 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:
7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And income is way down. Ask any resort owner. Ask any restaurant owner, who caters to tourists. Ask the owner of gift shops, spas, travel agencies, and the like. I do. And they all tell me the same thing. The quality of tourists has gone way down, as the number of them has gone way up. How is that helping the average Thai?

100% correct. You can see this just by walking around. Quantity is not Quality. Quality tourists spending money help the many. Quantity tourists spending little money in the country help the few. 

Stand in the departure line with a group of Chinese returning home like I have on many occasions, and you'll see that they do spend money.  Lots of it.  They just spend it on different things.  Their bags are crammed with stuff they take back with them. 

Trying to treat all tourists as if they have the same spending habits as western tourists is a recipe for failure.  Knowing the customer and their spending habits is always a good idea.

11 hours ago, impulse said:

Stand in the departure line with a group of Chinese returning home like I have on many occasions, and you'll see that they do spend money.  Lots of it.  They just spend it on different things.  Their bags are crammed with stuff they take back with them. 

Trying to treat all tourists as if they have the same spending habits as western tourists is a recipe for failure.  Knowing the customer and their spending habits is always a good idea.

While I agree the chinese and the Indians spend money- what they purchase and spend money on does not  drift down to the average Thai like the Western tourists.  Most  chinese are on tours and follow a set pattern provided by the tour guide who is not Thai. They eat at Chinese affiliated hotels/restaurants; travel on Chinese affiliated  coaches; purchase at chinese affiliated shops.

They don't flag down taxis; they don't go into pubs or entertainment venues; they don't stop and eat at Thai restaurants. They don't  sit at the beach except when the tour guide takes them to a pre set location.

As I said prior-ask any hotel bellman ; ask a taxi driver; ask anyone who deals in the tourist industry and they would trade a thousand Chinese tourists for one Brit; American; Aussie any day of the week.  

16 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

The "Vivo Bene" is on the market for a sloppy THB 400 million - a steal, except for the haze. So far no takers and nothing in sight 

I'd be very surprised if Vivo Bene is for sale...and not at 400million baht...

Do you have details or direct knowledge of this?

17 hours ago, hansnl said:

And what about all the governments before?

That does not excuse the gross incompetence of the current administration. Apologize for them all you want. It does not change a thing. The quality of life is diminishing for the average Thai, and ex-pat. The last 60 months have been a failed experiment. 

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

While I agree the chinese and the Indians spend money- what they purchase and spend money on does not  drift down to the average Thai like the Western tourists.  Most  chinese are on tours and follow a set pattern provided by the tour guide who is not Thai. They eat at Chinese affiliated hotels/restaurants; travel on Chinese affiliated  coaches; purchase at chinese affiliated shops.

They don't flag down taxis; they don't go into pubs or entertainment venues; they don't stop and eat at Thai restaurants. They don't  sit at the beach except when the tour guide takes them to a pre set location.

As I said prior-ask any hotel bellman ; ask a taxi driver; ask anyone who deals in the tourist industry and they would trade a thousand Chinese tourists for one Brit; American; Aussie any day of the week.  

Thank you. All correct information. The current batch of Chinese tourists bring very little to the table, and do not spend a lot. Sure, they buy bags full of dried fruits, and durian chips, and cheap trinkets they cannot find at home. Does that really stimulate the economy, and benefit the average Thai?

Our project (single house only) was worth just 2% of that, including land budget, but it is also cancelled. Lady we were negotiating with to buy the land with is super-pissed, but I she conceded that she understands our reasoning. We're getting our kids out and going south before next year. Sincerely hope it improves for those who remain though!

On 4/11/2019 at 9:39 AM, DLock said:

I'd be very surprised if Vivo Bene is for sale...and not at 400million baht...

Do you have details or direct knowledge of this?

I dont know the today's situation but the THB 400 million (CHF 12 million) was a fact as the initial investor Rutz wanted to get out of it. 

10 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

I dont know the today's situation but the THB 400 million (CHF 12 million) was a fact as the initial investor Rutz wanted to get out of it. 

Any links or listings?

I have a company that would be very interested in it.

On 4/12/2019 at 1:48 AM, cocopops said:

Our project (single house only) was worth just 2% of that, including land budget, but it is also cancelled. Lady we were negotiating with to buy the land with is super-pissed, but I she conceded that she understands our reasoning. We're getting our kids out and going south before next year. Sincerely hope it improves for those who remain though!

I am sure you are not the only one and just imagine how many tourists will never return and warn lots of others never to go.

This will hurt the economy much more than people expect.

Truly sad.

31 minutes ago, Longcut said:

In my opinion, the Bangkok Elite are not that interested in what's happening up north as long as their air is breathable.

Screenshot (58).png

And in my opinion it would suit the Bangkok Elite and others just fine if the air up North became unbreathable.   They don't need the Isan people in Bangkok anymore as virtual slave labour as they truck in people from  Cambodia and Myanmar now.

20 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Any examples of this?

Too many to list. Rampant inflation coupled with barely rising wages. Higher home prices. More difficult than even to qualify for a home loan. 

Worsening air quality. 

A continually warmer climate. 

Totally ineffective policing, no improvement in public and traffic safety, despite repeated promises of improvement and "crackdowns". Want me to go on? Really?

As long as there's more malls they don't give a crap about that stuff...lol.

And regarding the bkk folks...they do care ( in a way...) In case you haven't noticed cm has become just a satellite city of bkk. Check out all the bkk plated cars, bkk owned developments and businesses. 100% complete and locked up with the UNELECTED, yes man puppet governor installed by bkk powers...lol

Somebody, above, referred to Chiang Mai's smog problem as something new! It is far from that! In fact, it has been building slowly and relentlessly, year by year. The government makes soothing noises, hoping people will forget, once the rains come. Remember last year, when a protest was shut down by the police and the then-governor, who was angry that someone drew a pic of the three kings in face masks and threatened to prosecute Pim, the editor of Citylife? Then the international press got wind of it, publicity increased and the governor was soon removed.

On 4/13/2019 at 12:43 PM, Sydebolle said:

Contact them directly on their website; they also offer "investment opportunities" ..... 

So, it was a flippant comment with no credibility.

I'm not interested in investing in anything or anyone else projects.

Im interested in acquiring facilities like this.

22 hours ago, DLock said:

So, it was a flippant comment with no credibility.

I'm not interested in investing in anything or anyone else projects.

Im interested in acquiring facilities like this.

As said, contact them directly. Some time ago it was on the market for THB 400 million or CHF 12 million - I am not a broker and came across the property when looking for some land in Doi Saket. 

Archived