BANGKOK 19 April 2019 17:45
Badrabbit

Understanding

I don't speak Thai but know all the basics like hello etc(I've tried to learn but found it impossible to get understood) every morning I go into 7/11 to get my hot latte, I say Latte lawn but they never understand me saying lawn even though I say it identical to them, I'm not complaining because we always have a laugh about it, why do they not understand. is there a subtle difference that I am not hearing?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Probably not using the right tone and I would pronounce hot it with an "r" not an "l".  

Probably not using the right tone and I would pronounce hot it with an "r" not an "l".  
I've tried that and still it makes them look at each other, guess I just don't and never will be able to learn conversational Thai.

Try order something else and see what happens.

Say ron (roll that R). If you want to say Lon instead, they will also understand that, too.

Posted (edited)

Exaggerate and make it longer. If you pronounce it short 'rohn' they might not understand. Try to say 'roooohn'. Do not forget to include the 'h'. Actually it is the 'h' that makes the o-sound longer. Compare 'on' to 'ohn'.

By the way, if you go there EVERY MORNING then by now you shouldn't have to say anything for them to understand what you come to buy.

Tip: Use Google Translate on your telephone. You type in 'hot' and it shows the Thai word for it. Click the speaker icon and you hear a Thai pronouncing it. You can even show it to the staff and keep repeating it until they say you pronounce it correctly. 

Edited by Roel
  • Like 1

You are not alone. I have a Thai wife for 23 years now and Thai staff. I still can't get the tone thing correct. And it must be correct else the Thais have no idea what you are trying to say.  You would think they could 'connect' the dots but then again it's their language.  Sigh Sigh 

But don't give up. I never have ...

You are not alone. I have a Thai wife for 23 years now and Thai staff. I still can't get the tone thing correct. And it must be correct else the Thais have no idea what you are trying to say.  You would think they could 'connect' the dots but then again it's their language.  Sigh Sigh 

But don't give up. I never have ...
I'll keep on keeping on!

Exaggerate and make it longer. If you pronounce it short 'rohn' they might not understand. Try to say 'roooohn'. Do not forget to include the 'h'. Actually it is the 'h' that makes the o-sound longer. Compare 'on' to 'ohn'.

By the way, if you go there EVERY MORNING then by now you shouldn't have to say anything for them to understand what you come to buy.

Tip: Use Google Translate on your telephone. You type in 'hot' and it shows the Thai word for it. Click the speaker icon and you hear a Thai pronouncing it. You can even show it to the staff and keep repeating it until they say you pronounce it correctly. 
Unfortunately the staff seem to change often but I don't mind as it's my goal to make them understand, they all think it's very funny!

As this topic is not specific to Phuket I am moving it to Thai Language where it will receive more advice.

I don't speak Thai but know all the basics like hello etc(I've tried to learn but found it impossible to get understood) every morning I go into 7/11 to get my hot latte, I say Latte lawn but they never understand me saying lawn even though I say it identical to them, I'm not complaining because we always have a laugh about it, why do they not understand. is there a subtle difference that I am not hearing?

Is it possible for you to make a recording of you saying it, and uploading it here?

5 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

I've tried that and still it makes them look at each other, guess I just don't and never will be able to learn conversational Thai.

So you didn't try well, and writing it on this forum as LAWN is clearly an evidence.

R exists in Thai, and only some uneducated people cannot say it, so please ask to some correctly speaking Thai to say it for you. This is a super easy word to say.