Outpouring of grief as Thais say goodbye at site of rape/murder on Koh Si Chang

webfact

Outpouring of grief as Thais say goodbye at site of rape/murder on Koh Si Chang

2pm.jpg
Picture: DAily News

Hundreds of Koh Si Chang islanders went to the site of the brutal rape and murder of a young German tourist yesterday to express their heartfelt sorrow and say goodbye in the Thai way. 

Local Mayor Damrong Phetra led the outpouring of grief as flowers were placed and incense lit on the hillside where 26 year old Miriam Beelte was bludgeoned to death on Sunday. 

In custody and having admitted the crime is 23 year old Ronakorn Romreun, a local man. 

Damrong said: "We are grief stricken. This has never happened here before. Worse still is that the criminal is one of us and acted against a foreign visitor to our island. 

"It is of course terrible for the image of tourism in Thailand as a whole. 

"As the leader of the community here we wanted to express our heartfelt sorrow with flowers and wais of goodbye for the victim at the site of her death". 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-10

news_hDfOVTlBpx213324_533.jpg

news_AEEULIGSPg213325_533.jpg

news_oBZGybVFAm213325_533.jpg

8 minutes ago, toenail said:

Unfortunately all countries have their psychological deranged citizens. My question with these sick human beings is what society could have done to help them.

I have no sympathy for junkies.if they haven't got it in themselves to seek help then they will never change.he sold himself to the devil and him claim to being a human and has the values of a hyena.

7 minutes ago, toenail said:

Unfortunately all countries have their psychological deranged citizens. My question with these sick human beings is what society could have done to help them.

Not much to do i'm afraid, except keeping one's eyes open and avoid dangerous people.

I suspect that people with huge mental problems are not willing to admit it, and do something about it.

26 minutes ago, balo said:

It's a small island population dependent on tourism. Yes their business will suffer because of one sick devil. 

I wish them all the best,  

But you can't hide anything in such a small community. Somebody must have known that he was a drug addict and sure somebody knows the dealers that supplied this animal.

Whey did they not get rid of him and them by reporting before it was too late.

Its hard to gain a good image and it can be spoiled in a split second.. 

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Sadly many sick drug crazed raping psychopaths seam to roam the islands here ????RIP

This is not a psychopath. 

Most psychopaths do not take drugs.

The killing itself is their drug of choice.

This is most likely an opportunistic rapist who murdered to conceal his crime.

Rooster

3 hours ago, toenail said:

Something with a bullet would work fine....

1 hour ago, See Will said:

It is just the way things happen here. Little pre-thought and consideration of consequences. Much hand wringing after. 

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

Did  they, or was the  purpose to try and salvage any credibility left there?

There is no doubt that every person have different thoughts, or so i'm told.

So it's quite possible that someone in the crowd was thinking about "try and salvage credibility", but if you think all the Thais are bad, i think you don't know the Thais very well.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"As the leader of the community here we wanted to express our heartfelt sorrow with flowers and wais of goodbye for the victim at the site of her death".

As Thailand has said farewell to so many tourists over the years... flowers & wais will do nothing to help the victim or her family.... real policing is the only way.

Drugs are a curse so why did the so-called close knit community not see this local was a menace?  

5 hours ago, See Will said:

But you can't hide anything in such a small community. Somebody must have known that he was a drug addict and sure somebody knows the dealers that supplied this animal.

Its hard to gain a good image and it can be spoiled in a split second.. 

perhaps the dealers are armed and even have uniforms?

Rip,.  This somewhat puts a damper on my memories on Koh Chang. 

I can imagine how much this will hurt tourism.  For a century this event will pop up at the top on any  potential tourists  web search on Koh Chang.     It's not like a Koh Tao where crazy youth go to full moon parties regardless of risks.  

15 hours ago, soistalker said:

Who thinks the killer was emboldened by the Thai police's lack of giving a sh!t about solving such crimes?

Very few have much fear of the police. They certainly do not appear to prevent crime with any particular proactive action. But more recently, they seem to be getting good at catching up with the criminals. 

47 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Rip,.  This somewhat puts a damper on my memories on Koh Chang. 

I can imagine how much this will hurt tourism.  For a century this event will pop up at the top on any  potential tourists  web search on Koh Chang.     It's not like a Koh Tao where crazy youth go to full moon parties regardless of risks.  

It was on Koh Si Chang, not Koh Chang the murder took place. Many potential tourists will make the same mistake and both islands may suffer a drop in tourism.

RIP to the young lady and I hope the offender, if found guilty, gets the death penalty. However, as others here have pointed out, a confession will mitigate that sentence.

Archived