Pattaya Songkran: Hotel bookings well down as tourists stay away

webfact

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:02 PM, Kim J said:

What currency are you talking about here? the Pound to Thb rate is I believe currently about 42.

That's less than in the 90s when it was 45, and it was worth a whole lot more in buying power. Hotels were normally around 300 baht a night.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:08 PM, hyku1147 said:

Everything started to go downhill after they widened Beach Road: "Let's turn the thriving 'world's biggest brothel' into a family friendly tourism resort." LOL!

That's just a coincidence. The push to become the "Riviera of SEA" began long before that. However, yes, that is what ruined Pattaya.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pattaya hotels have only themselves to blame. They have done nothing to improve their product and have put up prices way beyond inflation. Just greed.

Well the scene has changed as far as the big chain hotels setting up in Pattaya, Hilton, Holiday Inn etc who were never present in the early days. Sadly they brought their prices with them. Some of the older buildings which should have been demolished and refurbed have found a new lease of life with less demanding tourists. 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. 10 years is not much.

As long as talking about visitors and not residents, mainly farangs and Arabs; insignificant numbers of Thai visitors. Scandinavians in Naklua, Arabs off Walking Street ( before it existed ), families in the big resorts at north end, mongers everywhere from north Pattaya to Bali Hi, before the pier was built. Not even the Russians visited in meaningful numbers.

Soi Buakhao had nothing that I remember; it was all along Beach and Second. The walkway was pleasant and shady, speedboats were trailered in along Beach Rd and the bay was full of moored big boats.

It was cheap and cheerful, and life was good for everyone. Then Purachai destroyed the nite scene, crime increased significantly, and it began a slow inexorable decline to the <deleted> that is Pattaya today.

The Thai day tripper invasion didn't take off till around when Central was opened.

you know Pattaya long, and thats right what you say

ex...naklua was mostly DACH !! ( all infrastructure bfr was german,austria swiss ,even today their is a littttle bit left of this ), but sure many scandinavians too

long ago it was a paradise, when i went the old street from bkk to pattaya , after the small hills of chonburi , begann the paradies... even today  when i see the hills, i think on the past , but i have no minds of "paradies" in head any more

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:20 PM, Kim J said:

Having said that, those I know that have become bored of Pattaya for a plethora of reasons have not 'gone home' they still have their holidays but just not here any more, given the fact that there are now much better options in Asia that provide greater value for their money that is hardly surprising is it?

Would you like to tell us what these better options are ?

4 minutes ago, Kim J said:

That is all down to individuals requirements of what they are looking for from their holiday. But Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippines or Cambodia to name a few that my own friends now choose in front of Thailand.

Myself Mrs Kim and our daughter now seldom holiday within Thailand any more, now much preferring Malaysia and Singapore at the moment.

I'm with your friends ......... no more holidays in Thailand for me, plenty of new places to explore where they really seem to want me to stay and spend my money.

Thailand has actually done me a big favour, I'd stayed here 6 years without visiting anywhere else, now they've forced me out of my 'comfort zone', I found I've actually enjoyed visiting new countries. 

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm with your friends ......... no more holidays in Thailand for me, plenty of new places to explore where they really seem to want me to stay and spend my money.

Thailand has actually done me a big favour, I'd stayed here 6 years without visiting anywhere else, now they've forced me out of my 'comfort zone', I found I've actually enjoyed visiting new countries. 

Seriously, you have not left for 6 years??

For your mental health and life experience you should start traveling.

I hit up Cambodia 2 times a year; Phils, Vietnam, Singapore, Hong Kong at least once a year.

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I hit up Cambodia 2 times a year; Phils, Vietnam, Singapore, Hong Kong at least once a year.

The first 6 years I just stayed in Thailand, the next two I was back in the UK, the last two I've been our and about at least 4x a years. Done China, Laos, Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia. Last month I did a week in Saigon then the bus to Phnom Penh for a week. Still got Hanoi, and Ninh Binh on my list 'to do'.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:05 PM, jacko45k said:

Well the scene has changed as far as the big chain hotels setting up in Pattaya, Hilton, Holiday Inn etc who were never present in the early days. Sadly they brought their prices with them. Some of the older buildings which should have been demolished and refurbed have found a new lease of life with less demanding tourists. 

Several "big" hotel chains in Pattaya in the early 90s, but all at north end of Beach Rd, and resort type places.

The difference now is that the big hotels like Hilton have moved down towards the south.

9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I never had the desire to travel elsewhere once I discovered LOS. It had everything a man could desire and the other places didn't. I made the mistake of going to Sri Lanka one holiday on the travel agent's advice and spent the entire time wishing I was in LOS.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Several "big" hotel chains in Pattaya in the early 90s, but all at north end of Beach Rd, and resort type places.

The difference now is that the big hotels like Hilton have moved down towards the south.

Just the Dusit and Woodlands I can think of, not International chains.. The Marriot at the Royal Garden has been around a long time. I just recall thinking the arrival of the Sheraton, Hilton and Holiday Inn marked the start of a change. But it hasn't been as much as I expected. They seem to exist in a separate bubble, with people happily paying 3 times the price for something similar. 

Archived