'Very ill' Brit tourist, 25, stranded in Thai hospital as family appeal for help

webfact

The problem will only get bigger, youngsters see people in trouble raising money on Go Fund Me' & think why pay for insurance when we can get everything for free by 'Go Fund Me'.

The good willed people who pay up only encourage travelers no to take out insurance.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

One thing for those of us who do carry proper insurance to consider is that people like this, and those who fund them, actually help keep our premiums down, by not making claims on travel insurance.

What u mean “us”? Do you have travel insurance ?

• Confused 1

Just now, Olmate said:

What u mean “us”? Do you have travel insurance ?

I have global health insurance, which covers me, including evacuation, anywhere in the world, outside the US.  If I didn't have it, or, for some strange reason, wanted to travel to the US, then I would buy travel insurance before doing so.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I've certainly done stupid things in my youth but I've ALWAYS taken out travel insurance. It's one of those things that's taught by our parents, internet and friends. It's similar to driving or owning a property and is as habitual as breathing.

But then again some people apparently know better.

Most travel insurance does not pay for a medical evacuation to the UK, which is what this guy wants. They'll say you get up to $500,000 for medical evacuation but if you read the actual policy most travel insurance "medical evacuation" will only take you to nearest hospital capable of providing adequate treatment. So if you get in a motorcycle accident out in the sticks they will pay to fly you to Bangkok, but they aren't going to fly you to Paris just because you like the doctors there better. For that you need to buy a special, separate service that has nothing to do with basic travel insurance. 

So smart as you may have been, you would have been in the same boat as this girl. She's already at a modern hospital capable of treating her. The GoFundMe is all about her father wanting to medical evacuate her back to the UK to be treated there and travel insurance isn't typically going to pay for that. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I have global health insurance, which covers me, including evacuation, anywhere in the world, outside the US.  If I didn't have it, or, for some strange reason, wanted to travel to the US, then I would buy travel insurance before doing so.

Very sensible, and the point noted by the last poster I was not aware of.  Why does global not include US , is it a matter of too expensive for you?

1 hour ago, usviphotography said:

Most travel insurance does not pay for a medical evacuation to the UK, which is what this guy wants. They'll say you get up to $500,000 for medical evacuation but if you read the actual policy most travel insurance "medical evacuation" will only take you to nearest hospital capable of providing adequate treatment. So if you get in a motorcycle accident out in the sticks they will pay to fly you to Bangkok, but they aren't going to fly you to Paris just because you like the doctors there better. For that you need to buy a special, separate service that has nothing to do with basic travel insurance. 

So smart as you may have been, you would have been in the same boat as this girl. She's already at a modern hospital capable of treating her. The GoFundMe is all about her father wanting to medical evacuate her back to the UK to be treated there and travel insurance isn't typically going to pay for that. 

I don't know where you are from but most, if not all policies taken out in the UK include medical evacuation back to the UK. That is part of the medical cover

Aside from that, I would be more sympathetic if she had at least SOME sort of insurance. The fact that she didn't beggars belief

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Very sensible, and the point noted by the last poster I was not aware of.  Why does global not include US , is it a matter of too expensive for you?

Most standard policies don't include the US.  I used to travel there quite often for work, but am not planning on doing so again for some time at least, so the standard policy was the best option for me.

6 hours ago, Olmate said:

Yes.

Medical costs that US hospitals charge foreign insurance companies are ridiculously high - talk about double pricing. 

Can easily be 10 times what it would cost in Western Europe or whst it would cost an American client paying out of pocket.

Edited by uhuh
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2019 at 2:13 PM, Vacuum said:

But there is. If you're married to someone employed by the government, you'll be covered.

If you think you have challenged his statement you are wrong. Saying that over 99% have no entitlement proves his point.

On 4/10/2019 at 12:15 PM, Chelseafan said:

I wish her the best of health but why do idiots like her travel without any insurance.?

Because insurance is very expensive and the slimy rats of an insurance company try to squirm out of paying up when something goes wrong anyway . 

• Confused 2

Traveled in Thailand for years and was just about to start in a job here.  Sounds to me like a constructed story, in order to get more sympathy / cash from Go Fund Me.  Was it even a legal job with work permit? Have she worked any job before, during her long stay in Thailand? 

I have been treated in some of the best private hospitals in Thailand and found, that Thai doctors, like western doctors, are having a hard time making a correct diagnose. The difference is, that in Thailand you will most likely be treated for something, even if they are not sure what is wrong with you.  How often do you see, that people are leaving the hospital with less than 4 different types of medicine, of which one is antibiotics?

Would it even be possible for her to buy a health insurance in Thailand, if she did not have a work permit and had to do a visa run every 3 months on a non-O-visa?

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just let everyone know that we got Rebekah home this morning. She was taken straight to the RAH in Paisley who checked her over and carried out some blood tests. She still has an elevated cell count however the hospital do not consider this too much of a problem as they are confident that she has beaten the infection. The A+E Consultant went through Rebekah’s medical report from Thailand and was generally happy with her treatment, however it turns out that it was a serious bacterial infection all along. The viral brain infection turned out to be a precautionary diagnoses although the RAH said that they would’ve treated it the same way with antivirals whilst awaiting results. It was also advised that Rebekah continue her recovery at home with follow up GP contact and as such she is now home. 

Above is the most recent update.

After she arrived in Scotland, the RAH sent her home to recover from the bacterial infection that the Thai hospital was treating properly.  According to the update, they didn't even keep her overnight.

Her gofundme raised £25,175

I imagine she'll be posting photos of her upcoming travels on instagram soon.  ????️

• Like 1