What road to choose to Marriott Rayong on Songkran?

KIO

Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice from you lot as I live in Hua Hin but have rented a condo at The Marriott Rayong during a week from Songkran. We'll be driving from Bkk, so my "simple" quiestion is having the specific day in mind: do I turn of at Chon Buri on to the 344 road (as google maps indivetes) or do I keep on the nr 7, then onto nr 36 and then on nr 3? I'm worried the last of the two options might find me in heavy congestion passing Rayong... or?

TIA

KIO

Definitely turn off on to Highway 344 at Chonburi, if I were you, then proceed to Klaeng from where you take Highway 3 westbound. You'll definitely run a higher risk of encountering heavy traffic if you stay on the motorway past the Highway 344 turn-off, and you would be strongly advised to give Highway 36 a wide berth in any case in view of extensive roadworks currently taking place to the north of Rayong, including a contra-flow.

5 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Definitely turn off on to Highway 344 at Chonburi, if I were you, then proceed to Klaeng from where you take Highway 3 westbound. You'll definitely run a higher risk of encountering heavy traffic if you stay on the motorway past the Highway 344 turn-off, and you would be strongly advised to give Highway 36 a wide berth in any case in view of extensive roadworks currently taking place to the north of Rayong, including a contra-flow.

Great! Exactly the type of on point information I was looking for. Many thanks!!! Will give an update when I have driven the route.

KIO

3 minutes ago, KIO said:

Great! Exactly the type of on point information I was looking for. Many thanks!!! Will give an update when I have driven the route.

KIO

It's a route I know well since it's the one my wife prefers to take when driving me to and from Suvarnabhumi for my annual trips to Europe. There a a few sets of traffic lights on the 344 which could slow you up a bit, but, other than that, it should generally be plain sailing. We did try the other route you suggested a few years ago when there were roadworks on the 344, and we encountered quite a bit of traffic particularly when skirting round Pattaya.

Archived