Dunlop car tires half price of other brands ? Have you found other cheap but good ?

myshem

hello,

It seems that Dunlop tires are always a lot cheaper than other brands, is it also your experience ?

or have you found as cheap / cheaper ?

I do not want to use crap tires but Dunlop should be good ? Anyway, are we pilots to justify buying the most expensive scam tires ?

Thanks for your report.

Toyo have fitted as standard Dunlop tyres on my Tuna 20inch wheels. I find them top class. Lots of grip even in the wet. If you can get them cheap, as long as they are not out of date can only recommend them. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Or remoulds or part worn or repaired - one thing you never piss about with is tyres - depending on the car of course. The higher the spec the more you want quality.

The OP said he was going to buy new tyres. I just assumed that he wasn't going to get part warn and the likes. My Dunlop aren't cheap being 20" wheels. Whatever they have very good grip. My lump corners like it's on rails.

I noticed that there were price differences with tyres before I replaced mine, just make sure they are made where they are supposed to be made, e.g. if you have a pick up and you want to buy Bridgestone, you can find them cheaper if they are made in Laos as they do not meet European standards when it comes to weight, suffice to say, I preferred to pay the extra, i.e. purchased the Bridgestone's that were made here in Thailand as they meet the European standard for weight.

Just saying, cheaper isn't necessarily better. Safe driving ????

• Like 1

My wife's Vios came new with Dunlops. I had to replace one once due to damage not related to quality. The price was reasonable. Replaced that set last year with BF Goodrich tires. That was an old American brand, now owned by Michelin. The tire dealer told us they're the same spec as Michelins, just their economy line. They're fine, too, though I must admit we don't demand much from that Vios. Ask your Michelin dealer about Goodrich.

Myshem .. Dunlop's should be fine .. that they are cheaper than other brands does not necessarily equate to a lower quality .. The tyre market is ultra competitive now with loads of budget tyres available from the East so for the established makes to compete they have to try to be competitive on price .. 

When I bought my 2003 Ranger (new), it came with Dunlop tires.  In less than five thousand km of use, the sidewalls of all four tires had developed deep cracks and were plainly dangerous to drive on.  I removed them, put on Michelins and drove an additional 80k before replacing them (with new Michelins).  No Dunlops for me ever again.

My Toyota came with Dunlop tires when I bought it new. Good tires performance-wise, but they only lasted about 30,000 km. I replaced them with Michelin tires, and they lasted about twice as long as the Dunlop's for not too much more money.

17 hours ago, nursebob said:

try lazada.com for cheaper than shop bought tires, just put in tyre sizes and check prices.

Deestones half price on Lazada. 

I buy 265/70R16 from them and pay the local tyre shop a couple of hundred baht to fit them. 

Free delivery. 

I have a old thai pickup and will be changing the tyres in a couple of months the tyre size is 205/70/15, as the alloy wheels are a bit tatty and I can't find anywhere to refurbish the alloys I might have to buy a new set of alloys and tyres, If I wanted to put bigger wheels and tyres on what would be the limit don't want a monster truck, just to raise it up more and look better, any info would be grateful thanks.

Had Dunlop’s on my new Mazda BT50 , one blew out neatly along the seam, luckily a rear one going 120km/h just outside Bangkok. Having done less than 20,000k I reported it to Mazda and Dunlop. Mazda did not give a toss and Dunlop after a month waiting for a reply said low air pressure caused it. I had 30 they said it should have been 35PSI. Anyway no joy so I bought a used one from Dunlop and vowed it was my last one. Tires shouldn’t do that. The only suggestion was to see my insurance and they will pay 50% , and probably up my premiums to cover it. 

I also wrote to the Dunlop offices in Bangkok and Australia as well as Mazda as quite a few are exported there, with photos, not one reply. Hope it only happened to me and that it was a bad one. 

8 hours ago, ancharee said:

I can't find anywhere to refurbish the alloys

Got mine refurbished at a small shop on the old coast road in Cholburi, 242/9-10 Moo 10 Tambon Bangprae, Sri Racha Cholburi, (just past the huge CP grain factory). Cost 600 B / wheel, but it varies depending on condition.

Tel: 086 112 6882, 087 096 3849, 080 644 2330 (They cannot speak Thai).

You have to leave the wheels with them, they don't accept leaving the whole car.

As for fitting larger wheels, bear in mind you are altering the overall gearing.

See https://tiresize.com

Edited by DaRoadrunner

9 hours ago, ancharee said:

I have a old thai pickup and will be changing the tyres in a couple of months the tyre size is 205/70/15, as the alloy wheels are a bit tatty and I can't find anywhere to refurbish the alloys I might have to buy a new set of alloys and tyres, If I wanted to put bigger wheels and tyres on what would be the limit don't want a monster truck, just to raise it up more and look better, any info would be grateful thanks.

Apart from the obvious of making sure they fit in the wheel arches - especially the front ones when turned at full lock, unless you want to change the hubs as well, the new wheels will need to have the right holes to match the existing bolts.  Years ago, I was with a friend who'd bought a second hand Hilux that had been fitted with alloys.  We got a flat and when we went to change the tyre found out that the spare was one of the original wheels, but the hubs had been modified to take the alloys.  It wouldn't fit.  I had to sit with the jacked up truck while he got a lift to the nearest tyre shop, taking the flat with him, got it fixed and got a lift back to the truck.  A fun way to spend an afternoon.  If you must modify the hubs so the new alloys fit, then buy 5 new wheels.

12 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Got mine refurbished at a small shop on the old coast road in Cholburi, 242/9-10 Moo 10 Tambon Bangprae, Sri Racha Cholburi, (just past the huge CP grain factory). Cost 600 B / wheel, but it varies depending on condition.

Tel: 086 112 6882, 087 096 3849, 080 644 2330 (They cannot speak Thai).

You have to leave the wheels with them, they don't accept leaving the whole car.

As for fitting larger wheels, bear in mind you are altering the overall gearing.

See https://tiresize.com

Thank's for that

Had Dunlop’s on my new Mazda BT50 , one blew out neatly along the seam, luckily a rear one going 120km/h just outside Bangkok. Having done less than 20,000k I reported it to Mazda and Dunlop. Mazda did not give a toss and Dunlop after a month waiting for a reply said low air pressure caused it. I had 30 they said it should have been 35PSI. Anyway no joy so I bought a used one from Dunlop and vowed it was my last one. Tires shouldn’t do that. The only suggestion was to see my insurance and they will pay 50% , and probably up my premiums to cover it. 
I also wrote to the Dunlop offices in Bangkok and Australia as well as Mazda as quite a few are exported there, with photos, not one reply. Hope it only happened to me and that it was a bad one. 

Just for my info, what did you expect to hear back from Dunlop?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app