Why is it so hot at the airport

poohy

Left yesterday  the airport was not overly busy but it was HOT seems that aircon was either turned down or not coping

Altogether unpleasant no one wants to get onto 14 hour flight dripping with sweat UGH!it was similar to Tescos where the turn the aircon down to bare minimum (well they do in PKK anyway)

I have come to the conclusion that airport operators the world over (and not just at BKK) take great delight in ensuring that air conditioning systems are turned down to minimum settings (if not switched off altogether) at the hottest times of the year - particularly in the areas immediately prior to immigration arrivals checks when lengthy queues are expected to form.

• 5 weeks later...

BKK has that "clever" design where the AC is only at ground level and somewhat local,  To me it doesn't seem hard for x number of people to block that air flow and some parts of the airport will get warm,  There is no ducted flow or total air movement in that design,   I always thought it seemed like a plausible design as no need to heat the ceiling   Just let the warm air rise

On 4/11/2019 at 3:33 AM, JaiLai said:

I would suggest not coping.

I measured 41C yesterday, very hot. The volume of air in that building is huge, the A/C required to cool it down in that heat must be incredible.

indeed, but surely an air conditioning system fit for purpose was specified and installed? i was at the airport on thursday evening/night and it did feel hot so something, human or machine, was not working effectively.

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

indeed, but surely an air conditioning system fit for purpose was specified and installed? i was at the airport on thursday evening/night and it did feel hot so something, human or machine, was not working effectively.

Yes, i agree.

One would suspect if the system was fit for purpose then the maintenance program has not been followed, this is very probable for this country.

On 5/12/2019 at 2:00 AM, tlandtday said:

The resident geniuses thought it a good idea to build a glass monolith in the hottest city in the world in a swamp.  

Yep, would have been much better for it to have been encased in concrete, lit with fluorescent lights instead of natural daylight, and located somewhere else much further from the city which wasn't a swamp.  

Gee wonder who owned that land and the glass distributor... hmmmm

I don't know but you seem to know a lot about it.  Cobra swamp was bought in 1973 when it was a swamp surrounded by other swamps and farmland.   So who did it belong to?  Probably several landowners but I don't know (you do).  And who owned the glass distributor?

Seems like you're implying the swamp owner in 1973 and the glass distributor are the same, and probably the same as the person who decided to put it there (decided in the late 1960's) and designed the glass roof (designed in the late 1990's).

Wow, I wish I knew as much about stuff as you.  So come on, who did own the land and who was the glass distributor?

Suvarnabhumi has always been unpleasantly warm to me, even when it was brand new, but it seems to have gotten worse over time.  I think the original design goal was to keep the temperature and humidity just slightly below seriously uncomfortable.  To help compensate for the anemic AC they covered the windows with a dithered wrap that severely restricts visibility and kind of defeats the benefit of having so many windows.  On my most recent visit I used an airline lounge and found that to be more comfortable.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:13 PM, josephbloggs said:

Yep, would have been much better for it to have been encased in concrete, lit with fluorescent lights instead of natural daylight, and located somewhere else much further from the city which wasn't a swamp.

I would have thought there was something in between a sweltering glass tube and a dingy concrete bunker.

• 1 month later...

The original air conditioning is a mix of displacement ventilation that stays low, close to the occupied areas (except at a few spots like the top of escalators), plus radiant cooling in the floor to absorb the heat from the sun. 

There are are a few places that the airport added significant retail space, especially above D-Concourse, that were never meant to have that much load, so a kludge of a solution was implemented to add cooling there very late in the process. 

If you are hot, avoid the top of D, and stay on lower levels. 

On 5/16/2019 at 9:13 AM, josephbloggs said:

They've built it already. It's called U-Tapao.

On 5/16/2019 at 9:13 AM, josephbloggs said:

I don't know but you seem to know a lot about it.  Cobra swamp was bought in 1973 when it was a swamp surrounded by other swamps and farmland.   So who did it belong to?  Probably several landowners but I don't know (you do).  And who owned the glass distributor?

Seems like you're implying the swamp owner in 1973 and the glass distributor are the same, and probably the same as the person who decided to put it there (decided in the late 1960's) and designed the glass roof (designed in the late 1990's).

Wow, I wish I knew as much about stuff as you.  So come on, who did own the land and who was the glass distributor?

Pointless debate here. We long-timers already know that similar to just about everything that is wrong in LOS, regardless of the epoch, it was, is and forever will be all Thaksin's fault.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 7:16 AM, tjo o tjim said:

The original air conditioning is a mix of displacement ventilation that stays low, close to the occupied areas (except at a few spots like the top of escalators), plus radiant cooling in the floor to absorb the heat from the sun.  There are are a few places that the airport added significant retail space, especially above D-Concourse, that were never meant to have that much load, so a kludge of a solution was implemented to add cooling there very late in the process. If you are hot, avoid the top of D, and stay on lower levels. 

When Swampy first opened I figured it was just a matter of incomplete construction and/or growing pains.  Many years later it's clear that either the design and/or goal were woefully inadequate.  DMK has the same problem today.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:37 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

since it opened The AC has been poor. Also some airlines put on their AC until after take off and even then keep the cabins hot to save money and send people to sleep. 

The vast majority of effort involved in cooling the air (compression) is not substantially impacted by typical variations in cabin temperatures.  The reason some airlines set the cabin hot and others set it cold is because of what they perceive as the desired temperature of their primary customer.  If you're too hot to sleep either complain to the purser or choose another carrier.  US carriers may have inedible food and poor service but they also come with individual at-seat air vents on most aircraft.

On 7/12/2019 at 7:06 PM, josephbloggs said:

Complete Nonsense.

The absolute factual truth. They have auxiliary generators to power the AC before take off but often  don't use them to safe money. The same with keeping aircraft hot during flight to save money and force the passengers into sweaty sleepy passivity.

19 minutes ago, user305 said:

When Swampy first opened I figured it was just a matter of incomplete construction and/or growing pains.  Many years later it's clear that either the design and/or goal were woefully inadequate.  DMK has the same problem today.

The vast majority of effort involved in cooling the air (compression) is not substantially impacted by typical variations in cabin temperatures.  The reason some airlines set the cabin hot and others set it cold is because of what they perceive as the desired temperature of their primary customer.  If you're too hot to sleep either complain to the purser or choose another carrier.  US carriers may have inedible food and poor service but they also come with individual at-seat air vents on most aircraft.

I have mentioned it on numerous flights. Its simple. If you are too cold you can put a coat on or use a blanket. If you are too hot you cant take your clothes off! As for choosing another 'carrier' I have used many. Too many to mention . I also worked for an aircraft production company. The stinky sweatbox conditions on some flights are vile. Its easy. 21 degrees. Long gone are the days of individual air vents, unfortunately.  

16 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Long gone are the days of individual air vents, unfortunately.  

On my last trip to Thailand I flew a JL 773 with individual air gaspers.  They're not exactly common but they're also not extinct.  The new designs really blend into the ceiling so I'd look twice if you don't see them at first.  I would advise bringing a portable USB fan and changing into thin shorts and a breathable shirt.  The fans come in many different sizes and styles (such as clamps and bending arms) to match different seats and available packing space.  For really serious cooling you can bring blue ice or chemical cold packs.  Bring a towel to wrap them up and place them against your neck or in the small of your back.  Never hesitate to complain to the purser and over social media since that's the only way they'll ever change their default temperature on future flights.

• 2 months later...

Archived