Shop asks for boarding pass and passport.

jil

At a shop in Don Meuang airport the cashier asked for both my boarding pass and my passport. She wrote down some information on her computer.

I asked her if this is a legal requirement or if this had a commercial purpose. She didn't understand what I was talking about so I'm curious what the reason is.

Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk

The name of the shop is "the mall skyport" and It's not a duty free shop. I just tried to buy something without handing over my boarding pass and passport to see what their reaction was but they refused to sell me the product.

Gosh jil have you actually travelled before?

Yes airport shops ask for passport and boarding pass.

They then send on these detail to gangs in Eastern Europe- so don’t be surprised on your next venture abroad you are arrested and denied boarding.

Don’t worry . 

Same thing happened to me in Suwanaphumi airport to buy a small bottle of water. 

It is their directive, they are not trained to think. No Boarding pass/passport no water.

Actually they have to check what country you are flying to knowing your liquids may be confiscated based on destination

and air carrier rules. Anyone worried about the security of their passport data should not Travel internationally, especially to Thailand

where it is photocopied countless times and even Thai immigration is known to give out unredacted copies of  passports to random people

just to save paper!

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

If it's airside they will want your passport and boarding documents, pretty much the same worldwide.

Yes I've been asked for boarding pass at many airports when making purchases in departure lounge shops. In some, in the past anyway, your purchase was given to you just before or after actually boarding. Not sure if that is still done.

21 hours ago, jil said:

I asked her if this is a legal requirement or if this had a commercial purpose. 

Gosh jil have you actually travelled before?

Yes airport shops ask for passport and boarding pass.

They then send on these detail to gangs in Eastern Europe- so don’t be surprised on your next venture abroad you are arrested and denied boarding.

Don’t worry . 

At least you made an attempt to be funny.
..good on you!

It's got to the stage where duty free goods in many countries are hardly worth the effort in terms of money saved.

But yes, fairly standard in airports to ask for boarding pass and passport.

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

If it's airside they will want your passport and boarding documents, pretty much the same worldwide.

Seeing as you've said worldwide....I read about London Heathrow asking for the same information. You can't get to the duty free unless you're on an international flight, so it's superfluous.

I read a UK news report saying they ask for the information, as it complies with some UK HMRC (customs department) requirements, allowing the duty free to claim back the VAT they paid on the item purchased.

They don't however, reduce the price of your purchase by the value of the VAT, the duty free shop keeps it themselves.

It's not compulsory to show your boarding card or passport at UK duty free.

Very odd... 

Theoretically - If you are airside you can purchase anything you want, but if you can't present a boarding pass you can't get the 'tax-free' rate (I've done this in Dubai upon arrival). 

If you are 'town-side' (i.e. Thailand side of immigration) there is no reason for them not to make the sale - this seems very strange and perhaps a typical 'cannot' situation with a member of staff misinterpreting some rule or other...

14 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Seeing as you've said worldwide....I read about London Heathrow asking for the same information. You can't get to the duty free unless you're on an international flight, so it's superfluous.

I read a UK news report saying they ask for the information, as it complies with some UK HMRC (customs department) requirements, allowing the duty free to claim back the VAT they paid on the item purchased.

They don't however, reduce the price of your purchase by the value of the VAT, the duty free shop keeps it themselves.

It's not compulsory to show your boarding card or passport at UK duty free.

Its not.. because you can still get duty free on arrival in many places... but if you can't show proof of onward flight (boarding pass) you will pay the price with Tax.

I just did this at Dubai after forgetting my laptop charger. Security had no issues with me going p to the Duty-free area through transit security, buy my charger and then return back through security to arrivals - as I couldn't show my boarding pass (as I'd just arrived) I was charged 5% VAT. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not.. because you can still get duty free on arrival in many places... but if you can't show proof of onward flight (boarding pass) you will pay the price with Tax.

I just did this at Dubai after forgetting my laptop charger. Security had no issues with me going p to the Duty-free area through transit security, buy my charger and then return back through security to arrivals - as I couldn't show my boarding pass (as I'd just arrived) I was charged 5% VAT. 

The point of the UK news article was that the price didn't alter whether you showed your boarding pass or not.

Following on from the article, people said they would refuse to show the staff at Heathrow their boarding pass because of this.

1 hour ago, TGIR said:

Never had anyone ask for my i.d. of any kind in an airport......been flying internationally since 1988.

Same, same and as soon as someone other than airline staff or immigration or the like ask to see my boarding pass or passport, they will see my rear end as I walk away.

Same, same and as soon as someone other than airline staff or immigration or the like ask to see my boarding pass or passport, they will see my rear end as I walk away.

And they won’t care about you voting with your feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had anyone ask for my i.d. of any kind in an airport......been flying internationally since 1988.

You must be mistaken. Guarantee this requirement is enforced at Duty Free shops in Suwannaphumi airport., even to buy a bottle of water. You can go to the food courts and buy a bottle of water without showing identification.

Maybe I am evil looking but Each international flight requires showing passport several times! I have to show passport to get boarding pass at check in when mobile check in is not possible, then I have to show boarding pass to enter the business class lounge, finally at the gate showing boarding pass and passport is always required. This is a check to see you have not lost your passport once you arrive in the next country the airline can be fined if you can’t produce the passport.

There is a newsagent/book shop at Swampy that sells cans of beer for 40 baht. Way cheaper than the bars. But you have to show the boarding pass. I norammly put 3 beer condoms in my hand luggage and that keeps me satisfied for beer before the flight. Most of my flights are around midnight.

33 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

And they won’t care about you voting with your feet.

Personally I don't give a rats a$$, the way I see things as a paying customer is, once you lose a customer, you lose profit, now if they are in business to lose business, then that's exactly what they will do, i.e. lose business.

I had an incident yesterday where I went to purchase an item, it said 6,944 baht on the box, I gave the check out staff the box and my debit card, when the staff member said, oh we have a promotion on this at the moment, it is usually 8,990 baht and you get a bluetooth set of earphones, oh, ok, I said, then she said, oh, the promotion expired yesterday on the discount, so the price is now 8,900 baht for the item, but you get the bluetooth device for free.

You can imagine my response, with hers being but yes its only 1,956 baht the difference and you get the bluetooth device with it.

She saw my rear as I walked away, so business lost through stupidity.

As you say, I am sure they don't care if I vote with my feet, neither do I, suffice to say I picked up a similar item on line today for 1/3 of the price....boo hoo

3 hours ago, Benroon said:

But there’s no legal obligation to hand it over - it’s a VAT scam - very old one at that 

All the U.K. airport shops have been warned about it by the government but it still goes on

Do the UK rules dictate the processes at Thai airports?

Personally I don't give a rats a$$, the way I see things as a paying customer is, once you lose a customer, you lose profit, now if they are in business to lose business, then that's exactly what they will do, i.e. lose business.

I had an incident yesterday where I went to purchase an item, it said 6,944 baht on the box, I gave the check out staff the box and my debit card, when the staff member said, oh we have a promotion on this at the moment, it is usually 8,990 baht and you get a bluetooth set of earphones, oh, ok, I said, then she said, oh, the promotion expired yesterday on the discount, so the price is now 8,900 baht for the item, but you get the bluetooth device for free.

You can imagine my response, with hers being but yes its only 1,956 baht the difference and you get the bluetooth device with it.

She saw my rear as I walked away, so business lost through stupidity.

As you say, I am sure they don't care if I vote with my feet, neither do I, suffice to say I picked up a similar item on line today for 1/3 of the price....boo hoo

You prove your own point another falang obsessed with their own importance. Thai sales girls would rather stare at a mobile screen. Nobody reads long posts either.

Archived