Shop asks for boarding pass and passport.

jil

On 4/10/2019 at 1:23 PM, AlexRRR said:

If duty free they do require your passport...if not duty free its a markerting exersise.

Yes, I asked about it several years ago, they need it for statistics, and they won't sell – probably not allowed by a big King Power boss – without the statistics. If you want to avoid being part of their stats, including your name and boarding information, buy your stuff somewhere else than the airport; it might sometimes also be cheaper, depending of what you buy.

In many airport you cannot buy tax free items without showing you boarding pass, which will be scanned by the cashier.

????

It is odd to me as well. I was recently in Milan airport. They would not sell anything to flight crew as they did not have a boarding pass. (Anyone could buy food though). Which is very odd since you can buy the products in the city and get the tax back by just showing your foreign passport when purchasing and then showing the items and receipt (with no boarding pass required) at the airport - either airside or before ciq. 

The only thing I can think of is that they don’t want local airport employees buying heaps of stuff duty free and then flogging it outside and people like aircrew are collateral damage. 

10 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

You prove your own point another falang obsessed with their own importance. Thai sales girls would rather stare at a mobile screen. Nobody reads long posts either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Self importance is better than being walked over time and time again, or being bent over in your case.

Long posts are only for those that have the brain capacity, so I shortened this one just for you, hopefully you can digest it, but I doubt it as it may be still too long of a post for you.

15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Seeing as you've said worldwide....I read about London Heathrow asking for the same information. You can't get to the duty free unless you're on an international flight, so it's superfluous.

I read a UK news report saying they ask for the information, as it complies with some UK HMRC (customs department) requirements, allowing the duty free to claim back the VAT they paid on the item purchased.

They don't however, reduce the price of your purchase by the value of the VAT, the duty free shop keeps it themselves.

It's not compulsory to show your boarding card or passport at UK duty free.

Of course its not compulsory to show your boarding card, you just cannot buy anything. All duty free(export) shops are airside and you cannot get airside without a boarding card. Passports are only for age verification, wrinklies like me never get asked for their passport.

The UK, like all other EU airports, display different prices on the good depending on the destination being inside or outside the EU. When the UK becomes a third country, travelers returning to the UK should get the better price. 

Tax is only one aspect of it. Duty free shops at airports are supposed to check the route and shouldn't sell liquids where there will be a problem at a transit airport.

A couple of years ago I was sold a bottle of whisky at BKK on a flight to London. The whisky was confiscated at transit in Delhi, even though it was in the sealed duty free bag. When I tried to get some explanation all they said was that BKK was at fault and I should claim against them.

"If you are buying cigarettes or alcohol - or anything else - in a duty free shop, you are legally obliged to show your boarding pass, to prove whether you are travelling inside or outside the EU. World Duty Free says you do have to show one in its outlets - regardless of what you are buying. Because it is designated by HMRC as an "export shop", it buys in all its goods VAT and duty free."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-33881005

"An export shop (previously known as a ‘duty-free shop’) is an excise warehouse that is approved to receive and store excise duty-suspended goods intended for sale to passengers travelling on a non-EU flight (known as ‘entitled passengers’). The warehouse approval may contain conditions that allow the premises to receive, hold and sell duty and VAT paid goods to passengers travelling on an EU or UK flight (known as non-entitled passengers)."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/excise-notice-197a-excise-goods-holding-and-movement/excise-notice-197a-excise-goods-holding-and-movement#what-is-an-export-shop

13 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Of course its not compulsory to show your boarding card, you just cannot buy anything. All duty free(export) shops are airside and you cannot get airside without a boarding card. Passports are only for age verification, wrinklies like me never get asked for their passport.

The UK, like all other EU airports, display different prices on the good depending on the destination being inside or outside the EU. When the UK becomes a third country, travelers returning to the UK should get the better price. 

Tax is only one aspect of it. Duty free shops at airports are supposed to check the route and shouldn't sell liquids where there will be a problem at a transit airport.

A couple of years ago I was sold a bottle of whisky at BKK on a flight to London. The whisky was confiscated at transit in Delhi, even though it was in the sealed duty free bag. When I tried to get some explanation all they said was that BKK was at fault and I should claim against them.

"If you are buying cigarettes or alcohol - or anything else - in a duty free shop, you are legally obliged to show your boarding pass, to prove whether you are travelling inside or outside the EU. World Duty Free says you do have to show one in its outlets - regardless of what you are buying. Because it is designated by HMRC as an "export shop", it buys in all its goods VAT and duty free."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-33881005

"An export shop (previously known as a ‘duty-free shop’) is an excise warehouse that is approved to receive and store excise duty-suspended goods intended for sale to passengers travelling on a non-EU flight (known as ‘entitled passengers’). The warehouse approval may contain conditions that allow the premises to receive, hold and sell duty and VAT paid goods to passengers travelling on an EU or UK flight (known as non-entitled passengers)."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/excise-notice-197a-excise-goods-holding-and-movement/excise-notice-197a-excise-goods-holding-and-movement#what-is-an-export-shop

Thanks for your very detailed clarification about this.

I had no idea EU 'duty free' shops displayed two prices for each item - depending on your destination.

Airside it's not a legal requirement, but, they will not sell products to you if you refuse to show your boarding pass, it's a vat scam, for their benefit, not yours, because they take the extra tax reduction you should be getting.

I've always thought that duty free shops sold products cheaper than you can get them when you're inside the country. But the (airside) shop that asked for my boarding pass and passport sells (amongst others) overpriced soft drinks. But I don't know if the shop I'm talking about is a duty free shop. Does this make a difference regarding asking for boarding pass and passport if the shop is or isn't a duty free shop?

Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk

Self importance is better than being walked over time and time again, or being bent over in your case.

Long posts are only for those that have the brain capacity, so I shortened this one just for you, hopefully you can digest it, but I doubt it as it may be still too long of a post for you.

Thanks for that bit of venom. Next time you feel bent over trying to apply an expired promotion, don’t vote with your feet. Walking out without the item you wanted is incomprehensible to the Thai sales staff. Instead a sharply worded letter and email to the store CEO cc’d to the store manager is in order!

1 hour ago, Date Masamune said:

Thanks for that bit of venom. Next time you feel bent over trying to apply an expired promotion, don’t vote with your feet. Walking out without the item you wanted is incomprehensible to the Thai sales staff. Instead a sharply worded letter and email to the store CEO cc’d to the store manager is in order!

Your welcome, that was off the cuff, i.e. before breakfast.

Now why would I waste my time trying to tell a CEO or store manager how to run their business, if they employ Thai staff who can't think outside the square, that's their loss.

One would think that would be in their training, e.g. excuse me Sir, would you mind waiting a moment while we contact our store manager to try and rectify a slight problem, thank you.

If they can't sort it after speaking the store manager, i.e. reducing the price to what it was advertised as, e.g. off their profit margin, then they are back at square one, however if they decided to wear it and take less of a profit, rather than lose a customer, they might see a return customer, but not in this case.

Apologies, I forgot you don't like reading long posts, but you would write a sharply letter to a CEO or store manager, yes right you are....... 

3 hours ago, jil said:

I've always thought that duty free shops sold products cheaper than you can get them when you're inside the country. But the (airside) shop that asked for my boarding pass and passport sells (amongst others) overpriced soft drinks. But I don't know if the shop I'm talking about is a duty free shop. Does this make a difference regarding asking for boarding pass and passport if the shop is or isn't a duty free shop?

Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk

Duty free shops are under local regulation, the criteria for the UK is shown above. You can see that export shops, previously known as duty free shops, can also sell other goods but must see the boarding card for all goods.

Duty free shops are under local regulation, the criteria for the UK is shown above. You can see that export shops, previously known as duty free shops, can also sell other goods but must see the boarding card for all goods.

Duty free shops in Thai airports are under “Thai law” managed by Thais, and staffed largely by Thai women. That is why you have to show a passport and boarding pass to buy a bottle of water but if you turn around and walk 10 meters to a food court or airside restaurant you can buy a bottle of water without showing any identification.

24 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

Duty free shops in Thai airports are under “Thai law” managed by Thais, and staffed largely by Thai women. That is why you have to show a passport and boarding pass to buy a bottle of water but if you turn around and walk 10 meters to a food court or airside restaurant you can buy a bottle of water without showing any identification.

But do the duty free shops airside have the same tax status under Thai law as the food shops?

The bottles of water sold at duty free shops are not imported goods, or luxury goods like a Ducati bike, subject to import duties. For example a bottle of water that can be had at any Thai convenience store for 12 baht. In fact they are only incidentally provided as a convenience, and a steep markup.

I don’t know why people shop at duty free stores anyway? Last time I saw some Bose headphones for $277 dollars that are sold now at $ 169 on any US website or walking into a BestBuy store.

Archived