Three killed from fire at hotel in heart of Bangkok, says Bangkok governor

snoop1130

Three killed from fire at hotel in heart of Bangkok, says Bangkok governor

By The Nation

1.jpeg

A fire broke out at Centara Grand@CentralWorld Hotel at Bangkok’s Ratchaprasong Intersection on Wednesday afternoon, killing three and injuring seven others, said Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang

Flames and smoke from the blaze at a documents storage room on the eighth floor of the hotel was visible from a distance, sending people dashing to the hotel’s parking space in panic to get their cars out.

2.jpeg

The incident worsened the already heavy traffic in the intersection, which was also crowded by bystanders.

Pathum Wan Police Station was alerted about the fire at 5.49pm, but police officers, firefighters and water trucks found it difficult to get to the area due to the traffic. CentralWorld shopping mall and Centara Grand@CentralWorld are situated in Bangkok’s business district and are always crowded.

3.jpeg

Pinit Arayasilapathorn, director of Pathum Wan district, said in a television interview earlier that the fire broke out on the eighth floor of the 55-storey hotel.

4.jpeg

He added that the fire was small and brought under control quickly, but a staff member terrified by the blaze jumped out the window and died. Two others members of staff sustained some injuries.

5.jpeg

However the Bangkok governor revealed later that the death toll of the blaze were three. One died at the scene and two others were pronounced dead at a hospital.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30367491

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-10

*WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT*

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What channel? I was just looking, and didn't see any live coverage on the TV news?

Thairath, not live coverage, just part of the news story. Thats why I was surprised it wasnt blurred out.

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

CH 22 Nation just ended their live shot at 20:00.

There's so much c**p on the various cable TV stations here (among those that purport to have some news coverage), when something actually newsworthy is going on, I'm never quite sure where to look.

The video of all the people trying to drive their cars out is somewhat beyond the stretch of my logic. Just evacuate the damn building on foot. All those cars flooding the streets nearby would cause even more chaos. 

Terrible loss of life. Sprinkler systems not working is always a concern of mine when I stay at some of the older hotels Thailand has to offer. 

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What channel? I was just looking, and didn't see any live coverage on the TV news?

It's all over Youtube already.... Do not watch the jumper.

Reminds me of 9/11  ????

4 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

Very sad, this is the reason I would never buy a condo in asian/thailand , everybody beneathe you are using the cheapist electronics with no safety standards

what country would you buy in that doesn't have fires? This is no place to discuss real estate, show some respect

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BKK Post website is saying the fire began in a ventilation duct on the 8th floor of the shopping mall, not the hotel or convention center.... And that the fire was put out by Central's firefighters after about 30 minutes.....

Thats not a bad response. It looked really bad

Nice  crowd  of caring Thais  filming  it  all, tasteful, maybe some close up corpse  shots? and dont forget the "peace " gesture  when standing next to them.

In other news  fire  crews  unable to reach there as motorists blocked the road as they were "more important"

7 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Nice  crowd  of caring Thais  filming  it  all, tasteful, maybe some close up corpse  shots? and dont forget the "peace " gesture  when standing next to them.

In other news  fire  crews  unable to reach there as motorists blocked the road as they were "more important"

Where are they suppose to go when it is bumper to bumper

The images of the jumpers from 9/11 are without doubt the most harrowing footage I have seen on TV. Due to the magnitude of the disaster I would imagine it was unfortunately their best option. What was going on in their head, God only knows. I was lucky enough not to see todays victim, but I cant help but think there could have been an option B, without knowing the full situation he/she was in we will never know. Thoughts to all the victims family. RIP

48 minutes ago, madmen said:

what country would you buy in that doesn't have fires? This is no place to discuss real estate, show some respect

Nah, it's a valid point. Don't buy third world real estate in a third world country. Centara is a 5 star hotel. 

10 year lifespan on most condos in Thailand.

1 hour ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

What will change in the future? Because there will be more fires..

Guess you know the answer already.

But this made me think of fire escape routs in central world...i've been there hundreds of times and can't remember to have seen a emergency staircase.

11 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Guess you know the answer already.

But this made me think of fire escape routs in central world...i've been there hundreds of times and can't remember to have seen a emergency staircase.

These do exist but not easy to spot. There are signs pointing to emergency exits but then you got to find the exit door once you get to the end of the long/round the cnr corridor.????

50 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

People in every country in the world would stand and film a major building on fire after an evacuation, so don't try to make out like it's just a Thai thing. If 9/11 had have been in the smartphone age, it would have happened then too. But I guess that doesn't fit with your clearly anti-Thai narrative?

Archived