BANGKOK 23 April 2019 14:53
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Beijing Plans to Use Facial Recognition to Ban Uncivilized Tourists

Unruly tourists in Beijing may soon find themselves unable to access some of the city’s attractions thanks to facial recognition technology.

According to China Daily, local authorities are now planning to install cameras with facial recognition features across the city’s hot spots, a move aimed at curbing tourists with bad behaviors.

China has deployed facial recognition systems for various purposes in recent years, from getting on trains to regulating mobile game playtime among children.

Apparently, Beijing’s new target of surveillance are uncivilized tourists, known to wreak havoc not only in the country, but also abroad.

As part of their plan, Beijing will utilize facial recognition to blacklist such tourists, who will then be punished with access restrictions to museums, parks and other spots.

The move comes as the city sees an influx of visitors due to the Qingming Festival, also known as Tomb-Sweeping Day, which many celebrated from April 5 to April 7.

According to the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, 112 million domestic trips were made during the occasion, an increase of 10.9% from last year’s.

Beijing recorded some 590,000 visitors in its parks on Friday alone, Xinhua reported.

Unfortunately, the three-day holiday saw a number of tourists climbing peach trees, picking flowers, destroying plants, fishing on lakes and selling things illegally within the parks, according to the Global Times.

Full article

If facial recognition is flawless (and surely it isn't) in identifying somebody, fine. But if not, no way as there can always be skids or errors. Yes, yes of course it's the futre, won't be able to avoid it etc. but until then....

Big Joke must be upset seeing this. Think of what he could have accomplished with this tech.

and imagine immigration police wearing the google glass style scanners that the Chinese police have.

Walking through Pattaya. MATCH! Russian mafia! MATCH! Hua Hin Sexpat! MATCH! Chinese mafia!    

They finally stop all their brain dead citizens coming to Thailand for Holiday??

much appreciated news!

Can it recognise a Chinese face?  If so - it should be installed at DMK.

I never been to the real China before recently I went to Chengdu for a short trip the ride from the airport frightened me some of the most appalling “motoring” I have ever seen. Large converted electric scooters are driven on footpaths at high speed also . As for the local standards of behavior and cleanliness I can say Thailand is getting the HiSo types, so is Japan. Here is a group who followed a flag to a gift shop. Same Same.

IMG_2434.thumb.jpg.006dc82d958dc18b9f9e00a255f749d2.jpg

Facial Recognition to Ban Uncivilized Tourists

Looking at my Avatar I'd say there is going to be a slight problem.